Skip to content

NearInfinity: Having the Goblin Race display text properly in the character sheet?

UnionhackUnionhack Member Posts: 27
Hey folks. I'm currently re-creating the party from my IRL tabletop game in Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition for fun. It's easy for the most part, seeing as 4 members of the party are of races already selectable (Gnome, Halfling, Elf, & Human) and 1 member is of a race that is represented in the game properly if you swap to it in EEKeeper (Tiefling, thank you Haer'dalis).

However, the 6th party member is a Goblin. Now, I don't really want to make a new race or anything in character creation or get the proper stats or what have you, I just want to be able to choose it in EEKeeper for the character and then have it display in the game's character sheet. Currently it just displays blank text.

How can I manipulate NearInfinity to have this happen? I tried searching for references to 'tiefling' in the text strings to compare and contrast how that applies to the Goblin, but all I can find is RACETEXT.2DA with the race's references to different text strings (tiefling corresponds to 37509 for example). I can't find the actual text strings themselves.

I assume it would be as simple as adding a new line in RACETEXT.2DA for the goblin and then adding the appropriate text string references to have it display properly in the character sheet, but I'm not quite sure. Can anyone help me out with this?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I would like to know that too, but to display Duergar.

Thanks in advance!
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Unionhack
    Add Line to RACETEXT.2DA:
    GOBLIN 161 15 -1 15 -1

There is no pre-existing lowercase string - only "Goblin", so without adding new strings that is the only one available.

@Raduziel
    OUTER_SET	name = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~duergar~)
    OUTER_SET	upper = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Duergar~)
    APPEND ~RACETEXT.2DA~ ~DUERGAR	138	%name%	-1	%upper%	-1~
    APPEND ~SODRACE.2DA~ ~DUERGAR	138	%name%	-1	%upper%	-1~ IF_EXISTS

RaduzielAndreaColombo_Luke_
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Thanks!
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    kjeron wrote: »
    @Unionhack
    Add Line to RACETEXT.2DA:
    GOBLIN 161 15 -1 15 -1

There is no pre-existing lowercase string - only "Goblin", so without adding new strings that is the only one available.

@Raduziel
    OUTER_SET	name = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~duergar~)
    OUTER_SET	upper = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Duergar~)
    APPEND ~RACETEXT.2DA~ ~DUERGAR	138	%name%	-1	%upper%	-1~
    APPEND ~SODRACE.2DA~ ~DUERGAR	138	%name%	-1	%upper%	-1~ IF_EXISTS

Is it possible to do the same thing with CLASTEXT.2da (e.g., ELEMENTAL_FIRE)?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Luke93 wrote: »
    Is it possible to do the same thing with CLASTEXT.2da (e.g., ELEMENTAL_FIRE)?
    Their are more columns to fill in, but you can update most of the record/inventory fields to display class #187 as "Fire Elemental". It just won't update the two fields that list level/experience beside the class name.