Skip to content

Alt + F4 does not exit the application on Windows OS

klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
edited November 2013 in Fixed
Current behaviour:
On Win7 x64 the keyboard stroke "Alt + F4" is not registered as a system command.

Expected behaviour:
On all windows OS the keyboard stroke "Alt + F4" should be registered as a system command that either exists the application or shows a prompt that lets the user exit the application.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    Well, I agree to that! I mean, instead of taking the entire way, going to options and everything, I just want to press ALT + F4 to close! Faster and more efficient!
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    Agreed. I alt + F4 and Imoen started detecting traps.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    I think a beta tester recently said that currently the program (BG:EE) does not support this. I could be wrong though don't remember.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2012
    Describe current behavior: alt-f4 key combination does nothing (activates F4 hotkey)

Describe expected behavior: close the game. This is a quick way to get back to the desktop so you can reload the game
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    Hi,

ALT+F4 key combination doesn't work ! To exit BG:EE you have do FIVE MOUSE CLICKS !! Are you mad ?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I usually ALT+Tab, right click on the BG:EE item on the task bar, click close (Win7). Two key-presses and two clicks for me. Saves time rather than having to go back to the main menu, too.
    Troodon80 said:

I usually ALT+Tab, right click on the BG:EE item on the task bar, click close (Win7). Two key-presses and two clicks for me. Saves time rather than having to go back to the main menu, too.

This is still ridiculous method. Sixteen years ago games support basic Windows features and I expect that something released in 2012/2013 will still support those features.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited December 2012
    I'm not really sure why it is not allowed, then again I'm not on the dev team.

Since it was standard in the original game to throw up a message about closing, the devs would have had to specify that the program not close using ALT+F4. It can either be done by setting the window style to CS_NOCLOSE; or by returning on keypress so the window doesn't close. Some form of the latter is most likely implemented since the close button still works in windowed mode.

Programmers usually have good reason for doing it that way (installers, for example, usually have the close button and ALT+F4 disabled so as not to interrupt anything.), so I will assume the same in this case.

It would be interesting to know why, exactly, just out of curiosity more than anything.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    edited December 2012
    ALIEN said:

Hi,
    ALT+F4 key combination doesn't work ! To exit BG:EE you have do FIVE MOUSE CLICKS !! Are you mad ?

Ah yes..exact, same here (i didn't notice that one too) !
    .... on the other hand, alt+enter working perfectly too and switch instantly full screen/window modes.. very handy to also quickly click on X top right corner little button, to close it quickly too if needed then (2 steps, ok) .. just my 2 € cents.. :)

sunset00 said:

ALIEN said:

Hi,

Ah yes..exact, same here (i didn't notice that one too) !
    .... on the other hand, alt+enter working perfectly too and switch instantly full screen/window modes.. very handy to also quickly click on X top right corner little button, to close it quickly too if needed then (2 steps, ok) .. just my 2 € cents.. :)

That is still one click too much. Simple as that. And you anyone will go with "Och, but it is one additional click ! Why you bitching about it ?!?" then how about seventeen clicks to exit an application ? It's just terrible that people don't care about small things. I see it in almost all games and even business applications. Same with unskipable intros and "Press a fuckin key to show main menu of the game" :(((

But that is for another post, tomorrow.
  • LaccehLacceh Member Posts: 7
    First world problems.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    /facepalm
  • RoseveldRoseveld Member Posts: 11
    Lacceh said:

First world problems.

exactly

• ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    This thread.....I do not have words.
  • DurlachionDurlachion Member Posts: 82
    Hm, I don't see the point of all those negative comments...
    It may be a minimal error which can be bypassed by one or two clicks more. Considering that you can ALT-F4 almost everywhere I would still call it a bug (low priority, of course) and hence it belongs rather in the bugs section than in 'feature requests' or even worse: in the developers 'ignored' section :-)
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    @Alien Well, in a way you are right, in the great scheme of things, the alt+F4 shortcut should always be implemented in a windows app (pro or game), indeed, but well.. to be honest, here, i had not even had the real 'need' to do a alt+F4 so far (i usually also always do a save (in any apps..) too before i quit anyway..and here obviously too!^.. so that means option menu too,just before, not direct and abrupt quit either.. */ ).. nor did i notice it obviously due to the same reasons (i rarely use it in apps/games anyway..apart when i have screen freezes/crashes, maybe -skyrim, here you are, yes.. *)) )..and well, i was basically doing here the 5 steps (u right!), without even noticing the length too.. so long )) [ps; anyway, here, i have the ' o' option key programmed one of my mouse button (always the same^ ), as i always do for every 'full screen' few games i can try.. there is always the quit option there in every game (&so here too).. now, here, just had indeed to, then, do 4 clicks after that..damn, why i had not even noticed the whole annoyance.. 4 clicks, damn.. exhausting indeed, now i think about it, you right.. :) ].
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    Merged identical threads.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    I consider this a mild annoyance, especially considering how many clicks are required to quit the game right now. Reported.
    It's useful to quit the game quickly, I tried the new unscaled UI then wanted to quit and the UI mod as well. Opening up the game and quiting out of it used to be a lot simpler #BG1 #BG2
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    You can still use ALT+ENTER and click the x button in the upper right corner, it is pretty fast method.
    was this added to the bug list tracker?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    @smeagolheart Yes, it's not very high in priority though.