Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Do I need a hak file to have custom 2da in my module?

I have a module for nwn:EE with no haks and I only would like to add a couple of 2da but don't want two things:
1. Don't want to use a hak.
2. Don't want to use the server override folder, because if I give the module to a friend he may forget the 2da. I want to make it obligatory but with no haks because haks are not downloadable at least without synchronization I dont have website for synchronization nor pw.

I am thinking of forget these 2da but I dont want to

Comments

• meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 47
    Unless you want to rely on overrides, which I don't recommend, then yes, you need a hak.

Zwerkules
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 494
    edited April 15
    Agreed, hak is the way. Don't fight it, the game is designed to work like that.

Without sync, you need to bundle the module and hak in 7zip or whatever. Have your friend install manually or via NIT.

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 711
    Another way to look at it is to ask yourself how you would design it if you were to make such a game yourself. It's certainly obvious the server can send small amounts of data like positions and area compositions without much fuss. The client then reconstructs this information using references defined by the 2das and tlk files. Therein is the issue as you want both the client and the server to agree on the principles of how the game works, while 2da changes actually change how the game works. Even if you had the server somehow front load the changes for the client then it would work effectively in a similar fashion to how nwsync is working right now.

If you need a place to host your hak files I believe you can use the neverwintervault for all platforms, and the steam workshop for steam users.

• sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 66
    Good Idea to host these files in nwvault and to use VSync. Could you make the steps simple and tell me what are the steps needed to get nwsync working?

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 995
    You put files on nwvault and interested players go to nwvault, visit the project page and download the files manually. Then they put the associated .haks into their /hak directory. You cannot use nwsync on files stored on nwvault.

• WallackWallack Member Posts: 10
    Some .2da work server side only. Which .2da you want to implement?