Skip to content

Do I need a hak file to have custom 2da in my module?

I have a module for nwn:EE with no haks and I only would like to add a couple of 2da but don't want two things:
1. Don't want to use a hak.
2. Don't want to use the server override folder, because if I give the module to a friend he may forget the 2da. I want to make it obligatory but with no haks because haks are not downloadable at least without synchronization I dont have website for synchronization nor pw.

I am thinking of forget these 2da but I dont want to

Comments

• meaglynmeaglyn Member Posts: 149
    Unless you want to rely on overrides, which I don't recommend, then yes, you need a hak.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    edited April 2019
    Agreed, hak is the way. Don't fight it, the game is designed to work like that.

Without sync, you need to bundle the module and hak in 7zip or whatever. Have your friend install manually or via NIT.
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    Another way to look at it is to ask yourself how you would design it if you were to make such a game yourself. It's certainly obvious the server can send small amounts of data like positions and area compositions without much fuss. The client then reconstructs this information using references defined by the 2das and tlk files. Therein is the issue as you want both the client and the server to agree on the principles of how the game works, while 2da changes actually change how the game works. Even if you had the server somehow front load the changes for the client then it would work effectively in a similar fashion to how nwsync is working right now.

If you need a place to host your hak files I believe you can use the neverwintervault for all platforms, and the steam workshop for steam users.
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70
    Good Idea to host these files in nwvault and to use VSync. Could you make the steps simple and tell me what are the steps needed to get nwsync working?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    You put files on nwvault and interested players go to nwvault, visit the project page and download the files manually. Then they put the associated .haks into their /hak directory. You cannot use nwsync on files stored on nwvault.
  • WallackWallack Member Posts: 10
    Some .2da work server side only. Which .2da you want to implement?
  • GenghisKenGenghisKen Member Posts: 4
    I'm using BioWare NWN1 Platinum in single-user mode on Windows while working on a custom module. I'm having difficulty (as in, zero success) in getting a custom 2da file to work.

I'm trying this approach because I have a crapload of placeables I want to create on the first use of a specific area. They all need to be at specific coordinates, particularly at unusual values of Z, and creating and placing the by hand, and then even touching them accidentally in the toolset, gets them reset to what the toolset thinks is a rational Z location. I tried defining their attributes in variables on an invisible object, for one-time first-entry creation, but that's a royal PITA. (Let's face it; manipulating a crapload of variables in the toolset sucks like an EF4 tornado. :D )

So the attraction of using a 2da is two-fold: I can use my favourite editor to manage the placeables, and I get to learn how to use 2da files.

But I've put the .2da file in the ...\NWN\overrides\ directory, and in the ...\NWN\modules\temp0\ when building the module (I see now why that doesn't work), and I've instrumented the crap out a test script trying to access the 2da info -- and it appears the file isn't being found no matter where I put it.

I'm pretty sure I have the format correct (interesting that the BioWare docco says "don't use tabs" but the ones I've unpacked do). Is there a 2dalint sort of program with which I can verify that?

Also, a couple of additional questions:

1. Are the contents of .2da files cached? So that processing the file once keeps the matrix in memory so subsequent calls to Get2DAString() don't result in additional file accesses?
    2. Is there any other way of storing data in an editable file for access from scripts?

Thanks!
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited June 2021
    As long as you are on windows you could try my pair of utilities - Fix and Tidy 2da Files. Alternatively you could try (probably) the best 2da editor on the vault - Yata - by kevL's. Don't worry that it was written for NwN 2 as both use uncompiled 2da files (unlike Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic which had compiled 2da files). If you are just worried about the use of tabs you could use a built-in feature of Notepad++ - Tab to Space. Just Select All then Edit/Blank Operations/Tab to Space. Recommended TAB size of 4 spaces.

FWIW custom 2da files are perfectly useable. See my script system AllTalk, which makes extensive use of a number of them.

Hope this helps.

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
  • GenghisKenGenghisKen Member Posts: 4
    Meh, PEBKAC. I was including the ".2da" suffix in my calls. Derrr.

Thanks!
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Ah, a facepalm moment. Might be an idea to include your script next time you have a problem. Often another pair of eyes can spot what is invisible to you.

Well at least you found the problem.

TR