Skip to content

Enough

ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
edited May 2019 in 2.5 patches feedback
Enough is enough.
Have I said: "Enough!"?
Yes.
Enough played. Time for a feedback. I was hit by a slowdown during game-saves. Waiting about 50 sec for a save, can be hard, if you are chasing cats one by one. About 15 minutes plus to finish a quest, shows it that way. A tip from Gusinda helped, but direct X has its own drawbacks. Now, I am back to chase the cats down with patches from Microsoft, Intel and beamdog in lesser time and witout direct X. Thank You all.

I do like the new graphics, colors, animations etc. I may be wrong, but I see new bird-animations, fishes, snake(s) and the like. I have never ever before noticed a tail shaking rabbit until V2.5.x.x.
And the eagle does not look like a foreign body as it does in the original game.

I don't know, where to start? Every single map has gotten some love. I spotted bread, tools and lots of other stuff in small rooms for example. And I am very pleased about the remake of the tracks in the first layer of the Nashkel mines. The miners have had some digging there too since 1998. The textures used are superb. And that applies to all maps with stones, rocks, grass, flowers and so on.

The coloring is new to me, but I do like it. Maybe the artists taking advantage of the hidden game features that a mod from argent77 reveals to users of older game versions? I don't know, but it is beautiful.

A "doverisch, rügenhaftes" Ulcaster appeals to me. - very shiny.

Someone saw yellow wings on planetars, but for me they are golden. The new metallic look is great - domes in Athkatla, Planar Sphere, Watchers Keep and things I have forgotten are golden, so to say.

I sense more space down under in the first part of the game - A most wanted feature.

I do love the new water-look with exceptions.

This is new to me too, that the color of the bullet can be seen in the sling a char is using. Might be an old hat, but I have seen this the first time in V2.5.

The maps are very well polished up or how to say this?!

It was worth waiting for this huge endeavor. Chapeau.

Now some quarrel.

We have a retro magazine in Germany that has its roots in the UK. Some articles are translations, some are produced here. Baldur's Gate made it on the front page. A journalist wrote a comment to this article that made me upset. With some very silly, bad, stupid etc. pp. arguments he recommends BG1 over BGEE.

He does not mention the very specific and hard to bear path-finding of the original game, though my quarrel about the path-finding of the EE-games, which is far better than in the original one, but it is far from perfect. I call it a draw.

The BG1 screen-shot in the magazine is not an original 640*400 capture, so I think this is cheating. But graphics are a matter of taste (see above), so still a draw.

But my quarrels here are the little lines produced by sprites, items and I do not know what else, which are a drawback for the EE titles. I do not know, if the manufacturer of the graphic solution like AMD, NVidia and the mobile platforms have a better impact on these lines like my Intel solution?

Some lines from maps vanished with the 2.5 patch (temple at Umar hills) that is a good one. A new one slipped into the north part of the Wild Forest. Only one low zoom-setting cures this glitch. It is the same with the superb map of Thalantyr's home.

I let the journalist play the original game, because we have a draw. I do have an old computer with BG1 and modifications set up, which justifies playing the old game from time to time myself. Nerves of steel are welcome, though. Hoping he and his followers have them too.

Conclusion: The V2.5 EE's aren't perfect, but I do like them. Thank You!

Wilson. Please, check his regeneration. He has over seven million xp in my game (5hp per round), but chars with items, which grants them regeneration, do their healing stuff quicker than Wilson.

Enough.

Comments