Skip to content

Generate random dungeons

WallackWallack Member Posts: 10
Hi guys.

I was wondering. Was anyone able to open the Infinite Dungeon Mod to see how it generates random dungeons?

I want to be able to generate some random dungeons and all examples I found (only 2) use already existing areas and no dynamically created ones.

What could be the best way to achieve this?

Thanks.

Comments

• GM_ODAGM_ODA Member Posts: 177
    I have not looked inside ID but I've done some of this on my own. If you'd like to discuss what I've done, maybe you could visit it and see this part demo'd and we can discuss the matter on my server while chatting? Specifically - ask about the Maze spell. this link tells you a bit about my server if you want to do recon first

http://argentumregio.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page?&cb=8705
  • WallackWallack Member Posts: 10
    Hey.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I wasn't able to dig into ID because is encrypted but I'm very interested in knowing how it handles it.

I saw examples where the dungeon is built with placeables but is not my cup of tea. My idea was to generate manually about 10 different interiors per theme (caves, crpyts ... etc) and instance one template at random when entering (I plan on instancing the dungeons).

However it seems to me that ID builds the area dynamically ? and I really wanted to know how it does that because as far as I know building an area is not supported via scripting.

What timezone are you based on so you can demo it to me? Do you have a discord I can join so we can chat there?

Thanks again for your reply.

P.S. I'm looking to create an action PW with a lot of randomness (dungeons, items, subraces ...) but the main issue right now (and only blocker) is the random dungeon generation.
    Friend Wallack,

You are very welcome.

The thing you describe is very like what we've done for the Maze spell and a few other areas. We are fiends for using 'minimal resources' here so we do things like 'make an infinite space from a dozen areas'.

I'm USA based, east coast (eastern time zone) ... my sleep schedule is irregular, and I'm available more often than not. Where are you at? What time / day works for you? Chances are I can accommodate.

-G
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    If you're interested in the code for what went into Infinite Dungeons, without logging into a PW to see how they did it and then probably never get the script package from the PW to use yourself - then just go to Neverwinter Vault and download Elidrin's Random Dungeon Generator. Elidrin is the original author of Infinite Dungeons and based it off his RDG code.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/elidrins-random-dungeon-generator-rdg9
    If you're interested in the code for what went into Infinite Dungeons, without logging into a PW to see how they did it and then probably never get the script package from the PW to use yourself - then just go to Neverwinter Vault and download Elidrin's Random Dungeon Generator. Elidrin is the original author of Infinite Dungeons and based it off his RDG code.

https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/elidrins-random-dungeon-generator-rdg9

Sylvus_Moonbow Thanks for that passive-aggressive attack on my intentions. I am elated that you are endowed with the ability to know the future. While you are at it maybe you'll share the winning lottery numbers for the week with us all?