Skip to content

Two CD Keys, One Computer?

FaerûnFaerûn Member Posts: 39
Hey all! This has been an issue that's been dogging me for awhile and I finally had the bright idea to ask the community for tips. My partner and I both play NWN:EE, but we've had to share a computer for the past few months. In order to use our own vaults on our favorite MP servers, we need to use our own CDKeys, but the game only uses one cdkey file. Is there a way to create a second installation of the game and point it at a different cdkey file so we can both use our respective accounts on the same machine?

Comments

• VarenxVarenx Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2019
    It is possible, you need to set the userdata directory manually (using the command line or if you own the game on Steam, from the launcher options). 'userdirectory' is the command line parameter you're looking for. If the directory doesn't exist the game creates it first (the first launch will take a couple moments longer because of this). Then you can just go in that directory and edit the cdkey file.

edit: Note that you don't need to install the game a second time, the best approach is simply creating a couple .bat files or .sh files if you're on a unix system, add the launch commands there and just put them somewhere convenient for both of you to use. This way you also have separate localvaults, although it does mean if you need to share hak files those need to be added to both directories.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The game can use only one CD-Key from the Documents folder. So while different users can play on the same PC (just make sure to change the CD-Key file), several users can't play on the same PC at the same time.