Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Do you ever alter party npc?

As the title says..

I am tempted to pick up Valygar or either change to him an archer, as there aren't any.. or wizard slayer, because that's what i feel he always should have been.

Change Imoen to a multiclass Thief/Mage instead.. because there's plenty of mages, very few leveling thieves.. list goes on..

That or just drop npc entirely and create full party..

OrlonKronsteen

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 134
    I have started doing this recently and am running Valygar as an archer now. I am enjoying it very much, though I would only do it within sensible limits (i.e. no mage Minsc). If you have played the game through with the original npcs and this breathes new life into the game then go for it!

OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 664
    edited May 28
    I slightly alter some of them. In BG1 I change Monty's proficiencies to dagger and crossbow. In BG2 I change Jaheira's proficiencies to **staff and *two-handed weapon style (leaving **clubs and * sling). If I give Viccy a pip in flails in BG1, I'll edit that in when I pick her up in BG2, etc.. These are more in line with how I see the characters. Heck, in Monty's portrait he's holding a dagger (and in my mind he was born to wield the dagger of venom), and Jaheira is holding a staff in her BG1 pic. If I use Mazzy again I'll probably reduce some of her pips in bows and allocate them elsewhere to give her more variety (maces, most likely).

As it's a single-player game I think everyone should play however they want. My only personal restriction is that I wouldn't give characters abilities that make them overpowered, or that are out of line with their personalities. I'll never turn Edwin into a fighter, for example.

StummvonBordwehr
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 410
    Yeah, i keep within sensible limits when I do alter them.

It's just that in many party compositions i find many of them to be of no use to me, despite finding them fairly interesting.
    Like Valygar... stalker? Pffft.. Besides, it makes much more sense for him to be a wizard slayer.

My only gripe is that it makes me feel like a dirty cheat lol

And creating my own party is sorta boring.. kind of.
    And I have this obsession with having Mr.ToB and Imoen with me, so that really narrows things down i guess.

• AionZAionZ Member Posts: 2,879
    Like Valygar... stalker? Pffft.. Besides, it makes much more sense for him to be a wizard slayer.
    I don’t see it and I never have. Everything about Valygar’s writing seems to indicate a loner who wants to distance himself from his family’s legacy, not actively oppose it. He has dialogue on following his father’s footsteps as a ranger and nothing on training specifically to fight magic-users. Ranger is a perfect class for him.

ThacoBellIsewein
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 162
    I wouldn't suggest this to a virgin player, but if you have played through the game several times, I don't see an issue with it. I have done a very few minor tweaks here and there myself on later play throughs, though usually just to "fix" irritating issues. I've even had regrets on a few of those and undone them.

Specifically, I got tired of Imoen having issues with scribing higher level spells due to her 17 INT. I found an Ioun stone that raised it one point, allowing her to scribe, but I was constantly switching it out for a regen stone. However, I realized that this was a unique quirk that made her interesting to play and undid the fix.

That said, if you really like a character, but they aren't "quite" right, I see no problem in altering them. I've long been tempted to make Mazzy a paladin of some sort because she really should be. She references her patron goddess more than some actual paladins!

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 515
    Doesn't matter to me in the least if people want to totally respec the game's joinable NPCs. Everyone builds parties differently and you shouldn't be forced to go with class combinations that don't work for you in order to see banter between the game's joinable NPCs.

OrlonKronsteen
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 2,989
    -I change Viconia's skin color to blueish gray and give her BG1version the silver circlet.
    -Kivan's profs change from halberd to spear (because of his exclusive mod weapon)
    -bg2 Imoen gets the cleric animation because hooded thief doesnt suit her at all.
    - Aran linvail too.
    -Traveler's robes gets no animation so neera looks more like her artwork.
    -I change ankheg plate's animation to chainmail for jaheira because she looks awful on green platemail.
    -Eldoth gets shortbow and dagger instead of longbow and scimitar because he is not a frontline/heavy weapon kind of man.
    -Alora loses her 1 pp in two weapon style and gets a pp in slings.
    -Glint gets his original dark haired portrait (way less cartoonish)
    -Ajantis becomes a cavalier and loses pp in longbow.

Oh, and I change everyone's stats on IWD npc project because they're too min/maxed.

OrlonKronsteen
  • chimaerachimaera Member Posts: 852
    Yep. I don't change their stats or alignments, but I do change their classes sometimes.

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 71
    My most common tweaks are altered proficiencies; for example, giving Keldorn two dots in Bastard Sword instead of Long Sword, or giving Anomen one dot in Flail/Morningstar instead of one in Quarterstaff.

People talk about changing Valygar's class, but I like him just fine as a Stalker. Backstabbing is fun. The tweak I'd make there is cosmetic; making his family armor look like chain mail instead of leather (It has chain mail modifiers, an item code that implies chain mail, and in earlier versions it blocked hiding).

• Cabal82Cabal82 Member Posts: 59
    You should not alter NPC, no sir! :wink:

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 925
    Almost always, usually with level 1 npcs. Often they'll get a kit from something like Faith and Powers.

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 1,589
    nope. also never really switch people out except near the beginning of the game where i'm forced to say have the canon party in bg2. bg is one of the few series where i stick to one set of characters the whole game and never really switch them out.

• tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 43
    Turned Mazzy into an archer in my current game which is fun. I have edited Minsc to give him a "working" bezerk ability. My justification is that Rangers are just very inferior as is, so why not let his special ability be useful.

My next playthrough is going to be evil with only a couple party members and I am thinking about making viconia a cleric/thief

• Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    I think it's pretty fun to play around with it. You can edit Cernd's kit and abilities so that he actually becomes useful in stead of dead weight.

I'm currently doing a run with Minsc as a DC'ed cleric/ranger. I kind of like Minsc, but I got sick of his vanilla kit and pathetic int and wis stats.

• Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    Maurvir wrote: »
    That said, if you really like a character, but they aren't "quite" right, I see no problem in altering them. I've long been tempted to make Mazzy a paladin of some sort because she really should be. She references her patron goddess more than some actual paladins!

The race/class restrictions are ridiculous. Elves can't be bards ffs.

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 2,989
    Gatekeep3r wrote: »
    Maurvir wrote: »

The race/class restrictions are ridiculous. Elves can't be bards ffs.

Elves can't be Elvis.

DhariusNeverused
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 8,844
    For the most part, no. An npc's class/kit is just as much a part fo their character as their personality or dialogue.

• karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 676
    I often completely change the NPCs. Usually because I decide I want a custom party playthrough, but still want some party banter and side quests.

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 162
    edited May 30
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    For the most part, no. An npc's class/kit is just as much a part fo their character as their personality or dialogue.

Yeah, this is the only reason I don't "fix" Mazzy. She actually comments on the issue in one of her banters.
    karnor00 wrote: »
    I often completely change the NPCs. Usually because I decide I want a custom party playthrough, but still want some party banter and side quests.

You might try some of the mod NPCs, then. I have been pretty pleased with the few I've tried so far.

Post edited by Maurvir on
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 10,954
    I change them in some way (sometimes different class, sometimes different kit, sometimes just different proficiencies) almost every time I play. Even wrote a mod specifically for those three things. Why go through the same game with the same classes and the same weapons every time?

Can't see that it's cheating, as long as it's all legal classes/kits...

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 515
    Well, you always have the option to create your own party with whatever classes/kits you want. It's hard to see how customizing the game's NPCs is any more broken than that.

subtledoctor
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 132
    I do alter some of the NPCs, yes. I changed Imoen back into a pure Thief (probably the most drastic change I've made), and I adjusted some of the weapon proficiencies of the others (I put more points into Scimitar for Jaheira and took them away from Quarterstaff and Club, for instance).

• kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 179
    I change some proficiency points for some npcs. I get rid of Khalid axe point and put it in long bow. Neera gets dart or sling pp instead of staff at first. I never alter their stats though.