Skip to content

Strange summoning behaviour on DE4

I'm tackling the 4th level of Dragon's Eye, and as per usual doing my best to make a beeline for the High Summoner before he overwhelms my party. However I've noticed that whenever I try summoning extra fodder to take the heat, I can only ever create 2-3 creatures and then the game displays the "Reached Summoning Limit" message. So it occurred to me that maybe the HS's summons are contributing to my limit! Has anybody else noticed this kind of behaviour?

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The High Summoner is cheating and summoning things by script, not by spell, so there is no limit.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    The High Summoner is cheating and summoning things by script, not by spell, so there is no limit.

Actually, the reason the High Summoner can exceed the summoning limit is because the High Summoner is not a party member. If a party member summons things by script actions, the summoning limit still applies.

62xhmxtvmib1.png
    QuartzMathsorcerer
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    @Mathsorcerer (awesome name, by the way), @OlvynChuru , I see that he obeys no limits to his summoning (I imagined he's scripted, but both reasonings make sense), however I was wondering really if his summons contribute to my limit, i.e., if he's got too many summons on the field does it prevent me from using my own? During all fights against those waves I was essentially limited to maximum 2 summons, yet I know for a fact the limit should be 6.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    I always delete this artifical limit and go back to old iwd rule. I just dont like it.
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    I think I've seen that, but I rarely summon to the limit. It's a little hard managing summons on that level with a few tight spots, especially if you've got larger summons like bears or elementals. Is it possible you've had a first set of summons get lost or trapped somewhere on the level?
  • StromaelStromael Member Posts: 195
    In HoF one of my staple strategies is summoning as much fodder as I can. Without them here I'm finding myself pushed really hard to keep my party members alive (which is exciting), and constantly getting surrounded since before I can even clear one wave of trolls or lizardmen that guy has summoned some more, who invariably sneak round the back by the second passage and seem magnetically drawn to my Bard (stressful, especially no-reload, where losing your withdrawal route can mean game over). Even in these close quarters having 6 skellies, zombies or wolves at your side is a huge boost. (Agreed the bears are more of a hindrance than anything else, and friendly fire from the Bombardier Beetles can spell your own doom!)

I'm confident I haven't misplaced any summons, since this phenomenon even happens when I leave the level and return, which should wipe the field of all my summons. If I Animate Dead immediately on re-entry, which usually brings in 3-4 allies, I get the summons limit message and maximum 2 undead minions.