Skip to content

Is there an official FAQ yet? do we know time period, D&D edition, campaign setting, isometric etc.?

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited June 2019 in Baldur's Gate III
From some of the promotional videos I've seen thus far it looks like the location will include the city of Baldur's Gate, and I got the impression that the game will use the 5th Edition rule set. Obviously it features a mindflayer invasion as a central plot device.

But in 4th Edition the campaign setting is pretty damn different than our beloved BG1 and BG2. I've been away from this hobby entirely over the last 5-6 years and had forgotten all about the Sundering and Spellplague and what not. I really wasn't keen on the direction I was seeing when I left it...

I found this

https://youtu.be/BDyqSsJPIs4

to try to get caught up a bit on FR setting lore. I'm also reading here and there on forums that it looks like since the 4th edition campaign setting was released and the Sundering, etc., WotC kind of swept the whole Spellplague event under the rug, more or less pretending that it never happened.

Trying also to get up to speed on 5th Edition: https://5thsrd.org/

Anyway, I guess that as long the game is set in Faerun, allows me to use the basic classes, cast D&D spells, use cool magic items, assemble an adventuring party, openly explore a richly detailed world, and have great combat and adventure... I should be pretty happy. (That said, back when I tried the Neverwinter Nights games, sadly they just didn't do it for me. I mean, they were okay, guess. But they didn't come close to the way that the BG games struck such a deep chord with me. And yet I recognize that it behooves me to remain open to changes with the setting and the ruleset in more recent times.)

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. What is known about the basics of this game? Do we know if it will it be 3D? or a 3/4 isometic perspective type game?

What facts have you been able to assemble about this game thus far?

Post edited by Lemernis on

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    We know it's 5th edition. It takes place about 100 years after BG2. And it will be set in and around the city of Baldur's Gate. It's going to be related to the tabletop adventure Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus in some way.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited June 2019
    Descent Into Avernus will be a direct sequel to Baldur's Gate II, although there is going to be a 100 year time gap (as usual with 5e modules). Larian's Baldur's Gate III will on the other hand be build on the foundation of Descent Into Avernus instead of the happenings of Baldur's Gate II.

Other than that we do know that Larian will be planting various elements of the Spelljammer campaign setting. For one we already saw the Illithid's spelljamming helm in the announcement trailer.

Other than that we know very little about its gameplay mechanics. The numerous interviews mentioned for instance that there will be no "miss chance". So any and all attacks will find their target no matter the stats.

The page over at GOG also had "Real-Time" as a tag... well, at one point anyway. Soon after they had replaced the "Real-Time" tag with "Strategy". Now? we don't have a clue about its combat style.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    edited June 2019
    Again spreading the miss chance misinformation. This isn't what was said in the interview. It was said that you will hit "more consistently". That very much implies miss chances will exist.
    To a certain minimum, yes.
  • LottiLotti Member Posts: 66
    To a certain minimum, yes.

Not yes, but no, what you said was incorrect.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    edited June 2019
    We know it will be a AAA game.

The D:OS2 engine uses 3D rendering, so that is very likely. Isometric perspective, on the other hand, is unlikely because AAA games generally don't do isometric.

The PC system requirements will be very intensive. Vincke specifically said they opted for bringing the game to Stadia at launch because that way if people's PCs cannot handle the graphics and memory requirements of the game they can still enjoy the game via Stadia.

The 'Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus' pnp module will be a direct prequel to this game.

D&D 5e rules are the starting point for the game, but rules can and will be changed if Larian feels a rule isn't fun in a video game. The first such rule they mentioned was the 'to hit' mechanism, which will be dumbed down. Other rules they're looking at for modification include: the pace of leveling up; and, replacing the 'spell slots' mechanic with something else.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2019
    Descent Into Avernus will be a direct sequel to Baldur's Gate II

As far as I'm aware it will be a prequel to BG3. But that doesn't mean it will be a sequel to BG2. Adventure wise Murder in Baldur's Gate is the sequel to BG2 at this point.
    edited June 2019
    elminster wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware it will be a prequel to BG3. But that doesn't mean it will be a sequel to BG2. Adventure wise Murder in Baldur's Gate is the sequel to BG2 at this point.
    It is. Larian did reveal that information on E3. It's pretty much at the ending of the event if you want to check out the video footage.
    Oh, and Vincke also said you will start the game just outside the city of Baldur's Gate, then go into Baldur's Gate, then later travel to several other locations.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited June 2019
    Okay, so having looked a bit at Descent Into Avernus best I can tell we can expect BG III to have basically zero connection with the Bhaalspawn saga. Evidently the Bhaalspawn saga is history. One hundred years have passed and there's new things happening on the Sword Coast. I get it. In the real world today we're not preoccupied with WWI, which took place a century ago.

If folks want some sort of new Bhaalspawn saga related tale, maybe Beamdog can use the Infinity engine to try to do that. That is, to use the same EE engine to build a prequel story or something? Or a story related to the aftermath of the Bhaalspawn, etc. To build a new game from scratch using the materials available within the EE, essentially.

But anyway, BG III is basically a brand new story set in the Forgotten Realms, starting in the location of Baldur's Gate. Or I see no reason to believe otherwise, at any rate.

• 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Bhaalspawn saga...

How are people so stuck on one particular story? I'm glad BG1 and 2 are considered history. They are great stories that are finished and now it's time to move on. Forcefully continuing finished storylines can ruin the whole thing. Who wants BG3 to turn into Highlander 2, 3, 4...

There are limitless stories waiting to be told. And the best stories start at level 1.
    edited June 2019
    1varangian wrote: »
    Bhaalspawn saga...

How are people so stuck on one particular story? I'm glad BG1 and 2 are considered history. They are great stories that are finished and now it's time to move on. Forcefully continuing finished storylines can ruin the whole thing. Who wants BG3 to turn into Highlander 2, 3, 4...

There are limitless stories waiting to be told. And the best stories start at level 1.

Well, although I agree with those sentiments overall, to play devil's advocate there could be a new story that is set into motion in some way by the events of the Bhaalspawn saga. Some sort of legacy that is left by it.

But I think that anything like that is actually best left to Beamdog. They would basically be building a ginormous mod that amonts to a brand new game. It could either be a prequel or a brand new tale with a L1 protagonist who is the offspring of CHARNAME in which some aspect of the Bhaalspawn saga poses a potentially catastrophic outcome that the hero must prevent. I'd almost rather see that anyway versus Larian doing it via 5E and the current campaign setting. With Beamdog making it with the EE engine we're sure to get the gameplay that we know and love.

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited June 2019
    kanisatha wrote: »
    The PC system requirements will be very intensive. Vincke specifically said they opted for bringing the game to Stadia at launch because that way if people's PCs cannot handle the graphics and memory requirements of the game they can still enjoy the game via Stadia.

Whaaaaat...

That's just awful. Welp, folks, it's official: I will 100% not be playing Baldur's Gate 3. (I don't even really feel bad about that, at this point.)

I don't think it was quite worded like that. It sounded like he was saying the benefit of Google Stadia was all players could play the game at max settings, not that the game itself will be super intesive at all settings. Honestly sounds like Stadia PR speak and I guess it's an honest statement if your network can handle it. I mean I'm on 65mbs connection but when I use Steam Remote Play or PS Remote Play and my parter starts streaming a HD youtube video I have to put the controller down for a minute so I'm not convinced it will work except under perfect circumstances.

So yea I think they are just alluding to the various graphics settings. I'm sure you can play it if you can handle Divinity OS. I'm fully expecting a very similar engine.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Bhaalspawn saga...

I'm down with this. Give us new stories in 5E, that's awesome. BUT DONT CALL AN UNRELATED STORY BG3. It jsut disrespectful you know? :(
    edited June 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Bhaalspawn saga...

I'm down with this. Give us new stories in 5E, that's awesome. BUT DONT CALL AN UNRELATED STORY BG3. It jsut disrespectful you know? :(

I think of Baldur's Gate more as a concept than one particular storyline. Like Dragon Age or Neverwinter Nights. NWN2 had nothing to do with the story of NWN1+expansions but everything to do with the concept of a toolset and a DM client.

If BG3 takes place in the same world on the same timeline a little bit later and has a great story for SP or co-op MP and is an accurate representation of D&D with real time combat, I think it's all good.

And if it turns out to be a great 5e CRPG.. who cares what it's called really. =)
    spacejaws wrote: »

Whaaaaat...

That's just awful. Welp, folks, it's official: I will 100% not be playing Baldur's Gate 3. (I don't even really feel bad about that, at this point.)

I don't think it was quite worded like that. It sounded like he was saying the benefit of Google Stadia was all players could play the game at max settings, not that the game itself will be super intesive at all settings. Honestly sounds like Stadia PR speak and I guess it's an honest statement if your network can handle it. I mean I'm on 65mbs connection but when I use Steam Remote Play or PS Remote Play and my parter starts streaming a HD youtube video I have to put the controller down for a minute so I'm not convinced it will work except under perfect circumstances.

So yea I think they are just alluding to the various graphics settings. I'm sure you can play it if you can handle Divinity OS. I'm fully expecting a very similar engine.

Yes you can always drop down your graphics settings. That is not contradictory with what I said.
    Yes you can always drop down your graphics settings. That is not contradictory with what I said.

You just said you 100% won't play the game because Subtledoctor said the game might be intensive. Not sure I was trying to contradict you more put your mind at ease that you probably will be able to run the game but if you are wanting to run max settings 4K on your toaster and refusing to play otherwise then there are a lot of good games out there you are missing.

Actually Stadia seems perfect for you :/

You just said you 100% won't play the game because Subtledoctor said the game might be intensive. Not sure I was trying to contradict you more put your mind at ease that you probably will be able to run the game but if you are wanting to run max settings 4K on your toaster and refusing to play otherwise then there are a lot of good games out there you are missing.

Um, no, you got us mixed up. I said the original thing, then Subtledoctor reacted saying the "won't play" part.
    edited June 2019

Um, no, you got us mixed up. I said the original thing, then Subtledoctor reacted saying the "won't play" part.

Lol whoops I messed up the quote editing. No worries I feel stupid now. I was talking about how they specifically worded it didn't sound like 'the game will be graphics intensive' but 'Everyone can play at max settings' which sounds more like something Google would push them to say as they are providing a platform for an announcement. We'll see how it shapes up but I don't imagine the requirements will be crazy.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @1varangian @JuliusBorisov But NONE of those example you, or anyone else who brings them up, had an ESTABLISHED PATTERN of a continuous story. BG DID, your examples are NOT equivalent. An expectation of continuation has been set specifically because of the pattern BG set. All of those others series you mention were ALWAYS individual installments. That carries completely different expectations. Its like saying Star Trek 2 is a good sequel to Star wars. They are both good movies, but they are NOT remotely the same.

BG3 "The Black Hound" never happened. Its just an argument in hypotheticals. If you want to go down this route though, here's my take: "The Black Hound" would also have not been BG3. It was really closer to IWD, if I recall the few details rightly. I'd imagine a lot of people would still be upset about it. Considering that it would have come from the same developer though, it wpuld certainly have not be nearly as controversial.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The games were released in 1998 and 2000 (i.e. very close to each other), and the second game just continued - and finished - the story from the first game.

The pattern would have been there if there was another cRPG released between 2000 and 2019 which continued the story of BGII. But there was no such game.

How other series are different, if IWD and NWN had only 2 games, exactly like BG? If authors of IWD or NWN decided to continue the story of IWD and NWN they would have still named them IWD 2 and NWN 2.
    @1varangian @JuliusBorisov But NONE of those example you, or anyone else who brings them up, had an ESTABLISHED PATTERN of a continuous story. BG DID, your examples are NOT equivalent. An expectation of continuation has been set specifically because of the pattern BG set. All of those others series you mention were ALWAYS individual installments. That carries completely different expectations. Its like saying Star Trek 2 is a good sequel to Star wars. They are both good movies, but they are NOT remotely the same.

BG3 "The Black Hound" never happened. Its just an argument in hypotheticals. If you want to go down this route though, here's my take: "The Black Hound" would also have not been BG3. It was really closer to IWD, if I recall the few details rightly. I'd imagine a lot of people would still be upset about it. Considering that it would have come from the same developer though, it wpuld certainly have not be nearly as controversial.

I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

If its a good game it doesn't really matter if it has a "suboptimal" name.
  • RodaneRodane Member Posts: 9

@ThacoBell Abdel Adrian via WOTC is the Canon PC of BG1 BG2. He was born in 1343 DR, which would make him 25 years old at the beginning of the games.

He grew to become over a century old and became one of the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate in his later years. He died at the age of 136. Which means he Probably will be in the game in some way. Since it takes place only 100 years after TOB. Which in all your complaining about how it should not be called BG3 because it "Does not follow the story :'(:'(." Will solve it. Also Games do not need to follow the same story to be label 1,2,3. ect. Just because 1,2 followed one person in time does not mean the others have to. Take Might and Magic. Same story line 1-5. and 6 changes the story up focusing on another planet. I can come up with more examples but I am sure you are smart enough to look it up if you want to.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    The timeline's pretty clearly laid out: Murder in Baldur's Gate pnp module --> Descent into Avernus pnp module --> BG3 video game. Adrian dies in the Murder in Baldur's Gate module time-frame, so unless it's his ghost he ain't showing up in this game.
    edited June 2019
    Actually this interview from yesterday at E3 got my attention somewhat, although I remain skeptical that that BG III will have any meaningful tie-in to the Bhaalspawn saga of BG/SoA/ToB. I cued the video (11:53) to when Mike Mearles is promoting Descent Into Avernus. At 12:42 Mearles says "For us Baldur's Gate is one big story. Regardless of whether you're playing a video game or a tabletop game. It's all one location. It's all one epic saga."

And this is directly in response to the interviewer's question "What makes 'Baldur's Gate' 'Baldur's Gate'?... If I haven't played Baldur's Gate I or II, what can I expect (from Baldur's Gate III?)"

https://youtu.be/96U5fbmR46w?t=713
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    The timeline's pretty clearly laid out: Murder in Baldur's Gate pnp module --> Descent into Avernus pnp module --> BG3 video game. Adrian dies in the Murder in Baldur's Gate module time-frame, so unless it's his ghost he ain't showing up in this game.

So the nay-sayers are right, they shouldn't call it Baldur's Gate 3...

... They should call it Baldur's Gate 5! >:)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The games were released in 1998 and 2000 (i.e. very close to each other), and the second game just continued - and finished - the story from the first game.

Things is, Stadia is stupid. Start with the limitations of crappy console controllers, add the limitations of crappy streaming, add lag from mixing the two? Just no. So hopefully this will run on a mid-range 2018 laptop with Intel Iris graphics.

This part is what worries me the most, that is, the fact that the game has to be designed from the ground up to be playable by controller. That always means simplified menus that often can't be accessed via mouse click, and sometimes it means you can't move with the mouse, either. Designing a game for controllers just about always comes at the expense of a good mouse interface, in my experience.

That will be a big problem for me if it comes to pass, because of various medical issues with my hands requiring me to need a very specific setup to play games using a trackball mouse and minimal keyboard use. As I've mentioned before, I could not play Skyrim because they went this way with the controls.