Skip to content

Multiplayer Exclusive Dungeon: How to create?

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
edited June 2019 in General Modding
Hello! I have raided a lot of Classic World of Warcraft and I enjoy the social aspect of that game.

Baldur's Gate has no *need* to play the game in Multiplayer.

Idea: Have a Multiplayer Exclusive Dungeon with exclusive rewards.

I have some discord server notes (I have this discord server where people can come and talk about making content (if they like): Discord server invite link address: https://discord.gg/pfmybNM )
I did some tests of multiplayer (two players one computer) and its seems that its bugs if only one person can pause the game (the unable to pause players get pause locked). So player can pause the game.
I am thinking some sort of bhaalspawn spell would be needed (player only 'gate') to allow only players to access an area.

A new game would have to be made but there can be areas that the host can unlock in their game and load a save at the entrances of multiplayer only dungeons. Other people can import a character file when joining these 'looking for group' multiplayer games ready to tackle a multiplayer dungeon.
A time limit or some type of timed check would be needed to progress through a dungeon so a player must have other players to progress the dungeon. Maybe a series of gates where the player must use bhaal spawn only spells to activate to progress.

The dungeon would not allow saving (to prevent loot camping) and once the party leaves the dungeon they can save. Once a party enters a dungeon they must clear it or be trapped without a save and will either leave or clear it.
Somehow there should be a way to prevent items from being traded once they drop, like bind on equip or something.
Eh.

Maybe just have the dungeons be hard.
Some items cannot be dropped from an inventory.
Perhaps this could be used. An item would then have to be destroyed to open up the inventory slot.
I guess every bind on pick up item would need have a dialog option or something to equip the item and to destroy the item. Hmm.

Maybe a spell could be used.
The treasure could teach players an innate spell that would summon an item or something.
An item that have a limited time span but once per day spell recharge time could make sense. The items could be lent but after so much time the item would disappear. Only players with the ably to resummon the item would be able to have 'infinite' amounts of the item. Also once a player learns the innate spell they cannot easy dupe a whole bunch of the item to buff a new party.

I suppose a random treasure would be in order to make the dungeon re-runnable.
Some sort of specter boss would be in order to have the correct theme.

I am thinking that the fights / dungeon would have to be live in order to require human players to synergize together in order to progress (instead of 2 clients one computer multiboxing the content frame by frame). From experience in Classic World of Warcraft it was very hard to heal and tank and dps live with multiple client players and it is naturally more easy and fun to look for other players to full fill the roles required to progress the dungeon.
Although I would like more ideas from more people.

Specifically how to 'gate' the content with Baldur's Gate's multiplayer mechanics that were not designed for this task. Baldur's Gate was originally planned to be an MMORPG called Battleground Infinity https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44474/alpha-baldurs-gate-builds-any-exist/p2 . So perhaps this would be a proper thing to do for Baldur's Gate.

Any ideas of how to retrofit Baldur's Gate into an quasi-MMORPG? (Multiplayer 2-6 person dungeons with exclusive rewards?)