Skip to content

Editing .ini file with SCS v32

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone would be kind enough to clarify the process of editing some SCS v32 options via the .ini file (Windows 10 install), as I don't seem to be having any luck.

For example, let's say I want to allow clones to use items in the items slot in BG2. The default setting disallows this, so I go into my 00783 folder, open the Strategems folder, open the stratagems.ini file, and change the '0' to '1' in the 'no_initial_change_clone_slots = 0' line. Sounds easy, but when I start a new game and test it, I discover that this change hasn't taken place: item slot items are still greyed out for clones.

Now, I have read in other posts that you have to change the .ini file before installing, but this confuses me for two reasons:

First, the SCS v32 download is an .exe file that you have to run/install before the Stratagems folder appears in the 00783. So the mod is already installed before you even get access to that stratagems.ini file.

Secondly, when I try to change/install components after the mod is installed, first by editing the .ini file and then by running 'setup-stratagems.exe', I'm not seeing any options for the components I want to change. In the case of the above example, I'm not getting an option to change the rule on clones using items.

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? It's probably something very obvious and silly, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out and I don't want to muck up my install by tinkering any further.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2019
    Now, I have read in other posts that you have to change the .ini file before installing, but this confuses me for two reasons:

First, the SCS v32 download is an .exe file that you have to run/install before the Stratagems folder appears in the 00783. So the mod is already installed before you even get access to that stratagems.ini file.

Extract the downloaded package in your game directory and exit the installer if it autostarts. Now you have your folder and exe file, edit .ini how you like and install.

I'm not really sure about what you mean by "I'm not seeing any options for components I want to change". Afaik, you edit .ini, install, and it should work the way you want it.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Thank you so much, @Aasim! I didn't understand that you could exit the installer once it started, and that by then the program would already be completely extracted in your game folder. Now I get it, thanks to you!

As for my other comment, you can completely ignore it as it was based on my ignorance re: the install process.

Thanks again!
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    Thanks again!

Cheers, have fun.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    you could exit the installer once it started
    You don't need to start the installer at all. Even though it is an exe file it is also an archive, which means you can use your decompressing program (7zip or whatever you use) to open it and extract its contents just as if it was a regular archive.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Thank you, @Alonso! I will do that the next time I install.