Skip to content

Duplicate Helm of Balduran in Irenicus' Dungeon

I tried to see if this has been discussed before and couldn't find any threads, but if one does already exist that I've missed I apologize in advance.

I started yet another new game yesterday beginning with Baldur's Gate 2 instead of running through the original again, and I decided to make a single extra custom party member. I began by setting up Gorion's Ward as a Berserker with mastery in Quarterstaffs and specialization in Two-Handed Weapon Style, and dual classed into a Druid at level 9 (putting proficiency points in Spear and wrapping up Grand Mastery with Quarterstaffs) on a roll of 91 (skipped over a 94 with 18/93 strength after over an hour of rolling... almost jumped out the window), then went to 'create party' and only added a single character; a Cavalier specialized in Two-Handed Swords, Bastard Swords and Two-Handed Weapon Style with future points currently intended in Two Weapon Style and possibly Halberds. I never played as a Druid before, and wanted to have a party established to include Edwin, Viconia, Korgan and Jan, swapping out Viconia in second and third chapters prior to heading to Spellhold as needed to complete other character-specific quests, but very much wanted this party to include a Paladin of some sort, and since Keldorn isn't a long-term option with these characters I decided to include a custom one.

So to the point, while going through Irenicus' Dungeon I first noticed that there were two copies of Varscona along with a single Longsword +1 which is something I've encountered nearly every time I've included a second custom character, which I have always assumed was a bug? But this time there was a new one for me; upon searching the drawers in the room between the dryads and the portal, I discovered two copies of the Helm of Balduran!

Is this a known issue, or is this intentional, perhaps because of the way in which multiplayer mode was necessary to add custom characters in the original? Whatever the case, I assume it is because both of my custom characters were of the fighter type classes, I was extremely pleased with this discovery! The Helm of Balduran has always been by far one of my most favorite items in either game, in terms of its status as a relic and the history behind it, the stat bonuses it grants, and the way it makes your character miniatures look. I'd always wished I could have two, to outfit two fighter type classes in similar 'uniform' and would settle for Gift of Peace since it has a similar appearance. Now that I have both my Berserker / Druid and my Cavalier outfitted with the same awesome helms, I am thoroughly satisfied!! Might just do this every time I start a new game even if I don't intend to continue using a second custom character, just to get the second copy of the helm before removing them from the party. It is pretty cheap, and definitely breaks the role-playing immersion, but for me its worth it.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    This will be fixed by the 2.6 patch. https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38001

In 2.5 "Create Party" created items for non-protagonist characters
  • unseeingeyeunseeingeye Member Posts: 16
    Ok, so it is a known issue then. Thank you, Julius.
    I have to admit to a feeling of regret that it will be fixed in the next patch, I do so love that helm! But I suppose it is cheating and actually even absurd, lol. I'll enjoy it while it lasts :)