Skip to content

Minsc in BG III?

13»

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Just a severe case of a mile thick Plot Armor™. One of the worst story tools authors could possibly utilize, imho.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    lroumen wrote: »
    But if I am to believe some posters, minsc and boo are just fine after a hundred years?
    ...difficult to believe...
    "If it sells one more copy to some nostalgia-stricken grognard, then it's worth doing."

- WotC, probably
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    The Minsc from the comics is 6th level, per the back matter. I'd say he's a new Minsc brought about by y wild magic (perhaps with the soul of the original).
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    being turned to stone and coming back is the most inconsistent thing in rpgs i feel.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Is there anything like space-time portals that allow time travel in the Realms? There are portals to other dimensions for sure. But any that allow for time travel?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2019
    Well, there's the 2e book Chronomancer. It does have a mage kit of the same name which posses both the spells Time conduit (for traveling back in time) and also Temporal stasis (that suspends animation indefinitely). If I remember correctly traveling through time let you age at least one year. And you can't travel to a past where the time traveler already exists. Ignoring this will pretty much lead to a catastrophical time paradox.

Also, mindflayers should have used a very similar magic as well. Given that they are originally beings from the far away future.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Time travel spells DO exist in D&D; Raistlin from the Dragonlance setting famously used one to go back in time (and wound up repeating history regardless), although the use of time travel spells appears to be zealously guarded/prevented by the gods depending on the setting. I'm guessing that in the Forgotten Realms, Ao probably stops all time travel magic from working, given that there's no known case of time travel in Abeir-Toril, to the best of my knowledge.

The mind flayers' time travel sorta worked differently in that instead of just transporting themselves back along the time stream, they literally ripped reality apart with ungodly amounts of psionic energy and then tried to rebuild it to their liking. They actually had no guarantee that their desperate plan would work; it could just as easily have resulted in the complete and utter destruction of the Multiverse.
  • GyorGyor Member Posts: 31
    I'd say he is the most likely character to appear given he is in the comics.
  • GyorGyor Member Posts: 31
    @Arcanis ,

Then he'd be a pockmarked (from erosion) man with a permanent pattern of pigeon poop for tattoos?

I didn't realize in DnD that being a statue prevents aging. A wizard could effectively travel forward into time by crafting a contingency Stone to Flesh to go off 1000 years after gazing lovingly in his pet bassalisk's eyes.

It was a public statue well maintained and regularly cleaned, he'd be fine.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Did they ever clarify if the Minsc who came from the statue is the actual Minsc?

For those who haven't read Legends of Baldur's Gate, Minsc is around because the wild mage Delina uses a spell to turn a statue of Minsc and Boo to life. However, at the time it is not explained if he is the real Minsc or if he is some type of simulacrum or something. He does name-drop Neera and recognises Coran, so he does at least have some memories of the events in the Bhaalspawn Saga, but as far as I read, they do not clarify who or what he really is.

Since it was imo really clear that they where gonna incorporate Minsc into BG3 from the get go. I mean, have y'all been paying attention to how hardcore WotC have been shoe-horning him into every piece of media they put out these days? And all he ever does is throw around his catchphrases and has about as many dimensions as a straight pencil line.

This might be the opportunity to finally do Minsc some justice again. There is potential here for this to be good.