Skip to content

Minsc in BG III?

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited June 2019 in Baldur's Gate III
What's this I'm seeing about Minsc and Boo somehow being featured BG III?

Larian developer Swen Vicke: “If you look at what the Fifth Edition has done, characters like Boo and Minsc are still alive. Bhaal and maybe a couple of other guys are still around. What’s gonna happen with that? You’re gonna discover when you play BG3.”

https://www.pcgamer.com/larian-teases-a-return-of-minsc-and-boo-in-baldurs-gate-3/

Thoughts, feelings, reactions, speculations on this?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    A big, fat "no" in my book. The Minsc comic was bad enough. Let the dude rest already.

For the record: I still very much think this character was the worst cameo choice WotC could have pulled. Then again, I didn't liked Minsc ever since I encountered him in BG1. So there...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I think this will be awesome if true. Always wanted to see him in 3D. To me Minsc & Boo are more BG than anything else. If they manage to get Jim Cummings back, that would be so cool.

A full party NPC or a Leliana-type from DA3, anything will do for me.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited June 2019
    I think this will be awesome if true. Always wanted to see him in 3D. To me Minsc & Boo are more BG than anything else. If they manage to get Jim Cummings back, that would be so cool.

A full party NPC or a Leliana-type from DA3, anything will do for me.

I'm assuming that given that they're bringing Minsc back, Jim Cummings will voice act him. That's a must! (Imho)
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    Minsc always died to an Ogre Berserker in an attempt to rescue Dynaheir. Always. There's no way he can be alive in BG3.

So they better include some form of world state import rather than force me to meet him because they think he is "funny".

If you invoke the "but he is alive in BG2" clause, I'll just have Edwin disintegrate him beyond resurrection again.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Prefer to have new characters, let Minsc & Boo have their well-deserved rest.
    edited June 2019
    So how do the two of them survive a century into the future?

We already know that Volvo was protected by an Imprisonment spell to thus survive the Spellplague and Sundering. I'm gonna assume that is the 5E version of the spell. With the Weave getting ripped apart and so much severe disruption of the planes it's apparently very lucky indeed that whichever form of imprisonment was used kept him securely imprisoned did not unravel. It certainly sounds like some forms of being Imprisoned would require the Weave to maintain the spell...

They can't go to the well too often with that particular spell. So I'll be curious to see how the game's story accounts for Minsc and Boo surviving one hundred years into the future.

Maybe Boo is indeed a miniaturized giant "space hamster" from a spelljammer that got shipwrecked on Toril. Although if so, one would think that Jaheira (or Faldorn--or Kivan for that matter) would have been able to sense that. And in that case then they should have commenedt on it to CHARNAME. But anyway, if Boo actually is who Minsc says he is, then perhaps he has some arcane abilities that might have helped protect the two of them in some way during the Spellplague. Or maybe through dumb luck they stumbled onto a portal that took them to a location that eventually got the return portal restored once Toril began to heal after the Spellplague. And they experienced a relatively short amount of time there on the other side whereas 100 years passed on Toril, etc.

But for me here is the main thing about Minsc and Boo in this game:

One implication of Minsc and Boo being featured... as I see it, anyway... is that it offers encouragement and hope that there probably IS a significant tie-in to the Bhaalspawn saga to the central plot of this new game. Obviously we can only speculate about it, but...

As I commented in another thread, I can imagine a scenario such as the following being pretty darned satisfying for this game. And please understand, this just serves as but one possible example of such a tie-in:
    • Back during the time period after the Time of Troubles and before the Bhaalspawn war, one of Bhaal's many mortal progeny foresaw the events that occurred through Bhaal's plot to resurrect himself--and that Abdel Adrian would foil it! This character also foresaw the events of Murder in Baldur's Gate.* And that the Spellplague and Sundering would occur beginning in 1485 DR. And therefore that Bhaal would survive the Spellplague/Sundering.
    • This Bhaalspawn, presumably of race with a lengthy lifespan, therefore went 'off the detection grid', i.e., laid low, and devised plot to eventually kill Bhaal in 1495 DR and take his portfolio.
    • This however threatens the very fragile recovery of Toril only a decade after the devastation of the Spellplague. The gods have formed an alliance now that maintains the (still fragile and recovering) health of the world to return it to stability. Maybe Bhaal is now a key player in that agreement among divinities.
    • Bhaal is of course still evil. He is the Lord of Murder. Ostensibly not to be trusted, quite clearly. But interestingly Cyric is now the god of Lies. Maybe Bhaal is capable of telling the truth. And he has an obvious self-interest in keeping his portfolio simply for the sake of his own survival--but that this will ironically help assure that planet's recovery from the Spellplague and that the alliance between the surviving gods continues to the benefit of all.

Reference materials: Bhaal, Spellplague, Second Sundering

Imo this offers a potentially pretty rich roleplaying situation, particularly for good aligned characters.

That is just one possible way that the Bhaalspawn saga might continue. The hero is not a Bhaalspawn. But he or she must ally with Bhaal to save Toril.

I guess they could also write it that the BG III PC ends up being an offspring of a Bhaalspawn, and therefore has some of Bhaal's essence as well. But I'd expect that WotC wants to avoid depending on that particular device too many times in a row.

* This is a sticky wicket because with all the Bhaalspawn having ostensibly died, Bhaal was finally able to reclaim his portfolio. But could it be that this Bhaalspawn was able to magially transmute, transfer, and secure his or her Bhaal essence into some sort of object or device that becomes the McGuffin of the BG3 game? Maybe it even got secreted away in Abeir, and when the Second Sundering took place it made it's way back to Toril.

Or perhaps this cunning Bhaalspawn was able to figure out a way to transfer his or her Bhaal essence into Viekang (the Bhaalspawn that bushwhacked Abdel Adrian in Murder in Baldur's Gate) and somehow keep that portion of the essence secretly partitioned, so as to be reactivated with the entire essence later wrenched from Bhaal. So it's sort of a ticking time bomb within Bhaal.
    edited June 2019
    So hopefully the takeaway from the second half of that long post above is there are ways to write this new BG3 story with a compelling tie-in to the Bhaalspawn saga. I just offer one potential central story to serve as an illustration.
    edited June 2019
    1varangian wrote: »
    Minsc always died to an Ogre Berserker in an attempt to rescue Dynaheir. Always. There's no way he can be alive in BG3.

So they better include some form of world state import rather than force me to meet him because they think he is "funny".

If you invoke the "but he is alive in BG2" clause, I'll just have Edwin disintegrate him beyond resurrection again.

Huh? Dynaheir died (unresurrectably) at the hands of Irenicus...

What source is that from, i.e., Minsc dying while protecting her from an ogre berserker prior to BG2?

The following seems to be the canon on Minsc currently. He's not dead. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Minsc
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Lemernis wrote: »

What source is that from, i.e., Minsc dying while protecting her from an ogre berserker prior to BG2?

The following seems to be the canon on Minsc currently. He's not dead. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Minsc

@Lemernis , You seem to have taken something literally that was posted ironically. I thought he was saying he always deliberately kills Minsc in his BG games so he can separate Dynaheir. And he really seems to hate Minsc. He would prefer to be able to export/import a world state from his BG saves than to have to see Minsc again.

@Lemernis , You seem to have taken something literally that was posted ironically. I thought he was saying he always deliberately kills Minsc in his BG games so he can separate Dynaheir. And he really seems to hate Minsc. He would prefer to be able to export/import a world state from his BG saves than to have to see Minsc again.

Ah! ZMc5dft.gif

Thanks, lol

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    A solid NO. Minsc got his glory and his rest. His epilogue was perfect, don't ruin it for him.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367

Canon does not override player choice in 2019. Characters who died in prequels stay dead.

Who wants to play a sequel if the devs are holding up a huge "choice doesn't matter" banner?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited June 2019

Canon does not override player choice in 2019. Characters who died in prequels stay dead.

Who wants to play a sequel if the devs are holding up a huge "choice doesn't matter" banner?

We live in a shared world. I suppose in a sense that's why there are so many problems and disagreements between human beings. Same as in politics, any solution to a problem (of allocating scarce resources, i.e., spending our tax dollars, devoting resources to solve it) some demographic will be aggrieved with. If you get what you want the folks that prefer TB don't get their way, and then they're hurt, etc.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    wotc have been very flip flop about the games being canon to the table top game or not. at one point both nwn games were considered canon but these days it feels like they arnt anymore and have been ignored lore wise.
    WotC logic: the thing that brings money is canon. Everything else is not.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Minsc was turned to stone and recently his "statue" disappeared. So it is a pssibility we will seem him in BG III and Volo too.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Not to mention that in a world where (True) Resurrection and Wish spells exist, characters that die in prequels don't necessarily need to STAY dead. ;)

In all honesty though, I'm undecided about bringing Minsc back. I love the big guy, but I don't want Larian to cater TOO hard to nostalgia. A game has to stand on its own merits with regards to story, dialogue and character development. Trying to shoehorn in old favourites in a misguided attempt to appeal to nostalgia has a tendency to backfire. (This is a big part of what was wrong with the Ghostbusters remake, for example. With the exception of Bill Murray's cameo because it served as a character building moment for Kristen's character, you could have cut the appearance of every single other original Ghostbusters actor and it would not have affected the story one bit. It felt too much like the director was nudging you in the side and going, "Remember this guy? Eh? EH?!") I worry that having Minsc around (especially if he was yanked out of a Faerun from 100 years ago) would cause a great deal of cognitive dissonance, especially if his character is always going "Oh yeah, I forgot about that Spellplague!" or something similar because the Faerun of today is so different from what he's used to.
    edited June 2019
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Minsc was turned to stone and recently his "statue" disappeared.
    I still hope this was just an act of vandalism. Some teenage adventure party which wanted to test their fancy new Fireball spell on a nearby "non-sentient" target could have been involved for instance. ;)
    I still hope this was just an act of vandalism. Some teenage adventure party which wanted to test their fancy new Fireball spell on a nearby "non-sentient" target could have been involved for instance. ;)

And I hope the guy being transformed in the trailer is Abdel finally truly destroyed. I don't think either of us is that lucky though :wink:
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

And I hope the guy being transformed in the trailer is Abdel finally truly destroyed. I don't think either of us is that lucky though :wink:

Didn't he die in Murder at Baldur's Gate? IIRC, he was either killed by VIekang (hah!), or he won that fight, promptly turned into the slayer, and then was killed by the player characters.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Personally, I'm against Minsc being a party member - but in favor of him appearing.
    He is alive (and the comics are not that bad oô) and active and could really help tying BG1+2 with BG3.
    But I think that he should be too strong to join a low-level adventuring group.

On the this topic, there is another human I would like to meet in BG3: Skie.
    Maybe have a quest (side quest or so ^^) where we can finally save her from her SoD fate!
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Didn't he die in Murder at Baldur's Gate? IIRC, he was either killed by VIekang (hah!), or he won that fight, promptly turned into the slayer, and then was killed by the player characters.

Once is enough for him? :)

Regarding Minsc maybe a cameo or rumor of a crazy barbarian somewhere. As a party member I think he fulfilled his duty :)
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Once is enough for him? :)

Regarding Minsc maybe a cameo or rumor of a crazy barbarian somewhere. As a party member I think he fulfilled his duty :)

I always thought that Abdel is the one of the TotsC savefile/ the preset and NOT the book.
    I somewhere read that even WotC is trying to ignore the books..

If I would master that adventure (not that I have a group =( ) I would probably switch "Abdel" for either a CHARNAME of one of my players (if one had such a character he liked enough) or would insert my own.
    Which I think I also read somewhere as an advice. oô
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    In bg1 it took me a few months before I knew he could join my party. I always took the response that made him hostile towards the party.
    To me he seems one of the biggest joke characters in the saga. I am not looking forward to seeing him yet again.
    I actually nearly never use him in BG1 - Inever found him useful, the Gnoll fortress is not exactly my favorit place (not sure if they are actually that difficulty or if it is more that they *look* dangerous to me) and his witch is even more useless imho... Also, her character always rubs me the wrong way.. =(

In BG2 I actually use him quite a bit more - especially together with Aerie.
    They befriend each other quickly and he becomes her protector and since I quite like her he can come with us. ^^
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Boo is an intellect devourer with levels of druid that can wildshape into a hamster, and Minsc is it's puppet? Could keep him alive 100 years.

Anyway, I'm cool with some bard singing a saga about Minsc in memorial, but he's human. 100+ years exceeds most human life spans, and resurrection doesn't work on a character who has died of old age. If he is still alive, he'd better have a beard to his knees, a hunched over back, and a taxidermied hamster hanging from a string.
    Boo is an intellect devourer with levels of druid that can wildshape into a hamster, and Minsc is it's puppet? Could keep him alive 100 years.

Anyway, I'm cool with some bard singing a saga about Minsc in memorial, but he's human. 100+ years exceeds most human life spans, and resurrection doesn't work on a character who has died of old age. If he is still alive, he'd better have a beard to his knees, a hunched over back, and a taxidermied hamster hanging from a string.

If the comic is canon than he is alive and has spent the time as a statue in Baldurs Gate.
    Well either that or the Minsc who runs around *is* a statue that became him through Wild Magic..
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    @Arcanis ,

Then he'd be a pockmarked (from erosion) man with a permanent pattern of pigeon poop for tattoos?

I didn't realize in DnD that being a statue prevents aging. A wizard could effectively travel forward into time by crafting a contingency Stone to Flesh to go off 1000 years after gazing lovingly in his pet bassalisk's eyes.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    @Arcanis ,

Then he'd be a pockmarked (from erosion) man with a permanent pattern of pigeon poop for tattoos?

I didn't realize in DnD that being a statue prevents aging. A wizard could effectively travel forward into time by crafting a contingency Stone to Flesh to go off 1000 years after gazing lovingly in his pet bassalisk's eyes.

being turned to stone tends to stop you from ageing in fantasy. it happens in dragon quest 5 for example.