Skip to content

Solasta: Crown of the Magister (D&D 5e OGL cRPG)

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    I'm in love with this game so far. It's basically you make a whole party of four and then assign them personalities. They banter and talk like traditional RPG companions except you get to make them all. The closest I can say is it's like NWN2: Storms of Zehir's party dialogue thing but all voice acted.
    Yeah this is something unique about this game that people seem to miss or not understand. You as the player are not just creating your PC as the game's protagonist. You are creating the whole party as your PC protagonist. So the whole party is the your PC, with each party member being a component of your PC. This is something very different from games like Icewind Dale where you also create your whole party.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited May 2021
    It has npcs, and it has a story, but the core of the game is a dungeon crawler based on modified D&D 5e rules.

As @Vallmyr said, kinda looks like a modern IWD / NWN2 Storm of Zehir. I made a party with clashing personalities (because I simply like to watch the world burn) and wait for them to argue... I even picked the posh personality for the paladin and the slang one for the dwarven rogue.

The only thing I´m not fan of is that there´s only one way to get manacalon proficiency, with the academic background. It almost forces you to pick one character with that background in the party if you want to craft manacalon weapons.
    The good thing is that they finally balanced the factions you can join, so you can (more or less) pick the one your party´s personalities fancy the most and the game is not going to be as umbalanced as before.

What I´m having a blast with is with the 3D world. You do not even need the fly spell, you can do some crazy things with spider crawling

unknown.png
  • PaquoCastorPaquoCastor Member Posts: 6
    I always saw it as a mix of Wiz8 and SoZ, but with the dialog system of a "contemporary" AAA RPG (Bio/Beth.)

I'll probably get to this game in a year or so, maybe later. Not sure how it will fare, in my opinion, against my favorite dandy games. 5e seems meh, but, hey, I'll get used to it for The Fellowship Saga. On the other hand, the best dandy games are turn-based, and I love create-a-party games. But that makes this compete with gold box, Dark Suns, KotC, ToEE, etc. Should still be fun, at least.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    So far I am still loving this game, it's weird, I thought I'd be turned off by the low level cap and limited class selection but because of the vertical element, there's actually a lot of depth here in the limited-ness. Now if they add DLC for more races/classes I'd certainly buy them.

Also, there are 'companion quests' in that your background gives each character their own personal questline.
    So far I am still loving this game, it's weird, I thought I'd be turned off by the low level cap and limited class selection but because of the vertical element, there's actually a lot of depth here in the limited-ness. Now if they add DLC for more races/classes I'd certainly buy them.

Also, there are 'companion quests' in that your background gives each character their own personal questline.
    The sorcerer class will be added soon in a free DLC.
    Of all the homebrew content of Solasta I think the "Annoying bees" cantrip is the one I love the most.

https://youtu.be/7blp_fW64QE?t=57

https://solastacrownofthemagister.wiki.fextralife.com/Annoying+Bee
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Well I beat the game and did every side quest I could find. I really love this game and can’t wait to see what the devs make next. I beat the game with a Oath of Tirmar Paladin, Shadowtamer Ranger, Shadowcaster Rogue, and Oblivion Cleric.

When they do release more content I definitely wouldn’t mind coming back and playing the game with a different composition and trying the backgrounds I didn’t choose (I had Lawkeeper, Spy, Philosopher, and Aristocrat).
    Well I beat the game and did every side quest I could find. I really love this game and can’t wait to see what the devs make next. I beat the game with a Oath of Tirmar Paladin, Shadowtamer Ranger, Shadowcaster Rogue, and Oblivion Cleric.

When they do release more content I definitely wouldn’t mind coming back and playing the game with a different composition and trying the backgrounds I didn’t choose (I had Lawkeeper, Spy, Philosopher, and Aristocrat).
    Even though I funded the game I won't get around to playing it for some time yet. But this is great to hear because it means the game doesn't have any game-breaking/hair-pulling bugs on launch, an awesome achievement for the TA devs.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Just started a new job and a bit strapped for time so will probably wait to see what the sorceror subclasses look like before starting a full.playthrough
    After some bugfixing, they finally started to work in the Sorcerer class DLC
    "Working on a Sorcerer will take some time, which is why we can't afford as a small team to keep testing and releasing hotfixes while doing so - but worry not, we will still be working on small improvements and fixes while getting the Sorcerer ready. Things such as the Tome of Understanding not working will be properly fixed with the Sorcerer Update as well!

So... the next question is when? We're happy to say that the Sorcerer Update should drop in the upcoming weeks, so keep the game warmed up in your library as you may want to do another run soon!
    "
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/5391352763132294660

Also another small studio is creating another game in the Solasta setting, it seems.

https://www.gamespress.com/en-US/TACTICAL-ADVENTURES-ANNOUNCES-NEW-VIDEOGAME-DEVELOPMENT-STUDIO-TALYON

Working on a Sorcerer will take some time, which is why we can't afford as a small team to keep testing and releasing hotfixes while doing so - but worry not, we will still be working on small improvements and fixes while getting the Sorcerer ready. Things such as the Tome of Understanding not working will be properly fixed with the Sorcerer Update as well!

So... the next question is when? We're happy to say that the Sorcerer Update should drop in the upcoming weeks, so keep the game warmed up in your library as you may want to do another run soon!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/5391352763132294660

There´s another split studio that is making a campaign in the world of solasta.

https://www.gamespress.com/en-US/TACTICAL-ADVENTURES-ANNOUNCES-NEW-VIDEOGAME-DEVELOPMENT-STUDIO-TALYON
    The Sorcerer Update is dropping next week on July 13th! https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/2976298542489916314

One new class with 3 new subclasses, Ironman Mode, 3 new Dungeon Maker environments and a plethora of bug fixes and improves!

The sorcerer class is a long-time desire of all the Solasta players. They even beat BG3 so they would be the first ones to do it. Metamagic and bloodlines FTW!

I hope the "improvements" would include some way to get you choose what party member of yours would make the persuasion/bluff/ intimidate attempt because right now the solasta engine has a penchant for choosing the worst guy for the job. Kinda the government of my country, but with less sass.

8brfuuozucqc.jpg

bh2ycyij6pxu.jpg

Thanks for this, been looking forward. Hoping they add some more classes (and maybe races, half-orc seems the obvious choice) after, barbarian shouldn't be too hard. I guess bard song and druid wild shape may be hard, as well as monk animations. If they don't get to doing druid, just a cleric nature domain option would be nice.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited July 2021
    I bought this game, and I'm trying to give it a fair chance. I was hoping for a four person party game that would play like Might and Magic 6, or at least Icewind Dale.

I have a few problems with it right out the starting gate, unfortunately. The tutorial is way too long and has to be gone through every game, which discourages replayability. I wouldn't mind if it was as interesting as, say, Irenicus' dungeon, but this is just "click this to do that" tutorial stuff.

The whole game gets off to a really slow start. Most good games try to hook you in with some immediate combat and danger before they go into the "exposition city" phase, where you go around and find merchants and quests, establishing a home base and finding out about current events. This game just starts you out with that part and no hook.

There's very little story that I can see yet, only the barest skeleton of one. "New area discovered, monsters and treasures, we're hiring adventurers, go explore it and open up its resources for the city." I've barely started, though, so maybe there will be more to it than that. At least I hope so.

So far, there's a distinct lack of atmosphere, compared to similar "create your own party" D&D games like Icewind Dale, or even Might and Magic 6. The environments seem pretty bland, and designed like a Larian game to encourage environmental manipulation, including silly gimmicks like pushing creatures off cliffs and pushing rocks down on stuff. (You pushed the rock, rocks fall, everyone dies, good job.) If the game starts wanting me to light the ground on fire to win, or has enemies doing that, I'm out.

My first impression is that they spent most of their effort just making a 5th edition D&D combat simulator, and not much effort creating a compelling roleplaying game with a good story and an interesting setting.

I could change all of that later, if I can make myself play it more, because I've barely given it a chance yet. But I can say that the classics of similar genre (BG, IWD, etc.) always hooked me in immediately, and this one isn't.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I bought this game, and I'm trying to give it a fair chance. I was hoping for a four person party game that would play like Might and Magic 6, or at least Icewind Dale.

I have a few problems with it right out the starting gate, unfortunately. The tutorial is way too long and has to be gone through every game, which discourages replayability. I wouldn't mind if it was as interesting as, say, Irenicus' dungeon, but this is just "click this to do that" tutorial stuff.

I have two thoughts, one of which is off topic. I also always liked/found Irenicus's dungeon to be interesting. I never understood why so many saw the skip Irenicus dungeon mod as being so necessary? /Shrug.

Second question - I've been teetering on getting this for a while. I know it's out of EA. Are they planning on adding each class from 5e? It sounds like they're not all there yet (I may be wrong).

As a corollary - I've also kept an eye on the Solasta modding scene. I know Solasta was developed with the SRC and not the full license, but I kind of figured modders would go in and basically add all of the 5e cannon archetypes to each class (and all the classes that arent in the game). I cant speak to how challenging it is to mod Solasta, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to why those kinds of mods havent been developed?

(I'm honestly wondering if it's legal. Like WotC sending Cease and Desist letters to modders making licensed archetypes available in an unlicensed game?)
    edited July 2021
    https://youtu.be/2ugLmAOG0Y0

Sorcerer update is live!
    One new class with 3 new subclasses, Ironman Mode, 3 new Dungeon Maker environments and a plethora of bug fixes and improves!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/2976299991825316575

Now I finished the final (well not final because we do not have the sorcerer subclass until today and they´re still patching things) version of the Solasta game. The main campaign is not that long, it takes 10-30 h or so; but Solasta is mostly a small indie game that is meant to be a D&d5e TT simulator to make D&D5e adventures so we could expect more, official and fan-made both.

The fact that the Solasta game has some skills or features that are not used in the main campaign (Like animal handling, investigation, etc) but they bother to add them means they want to make a mainframe to create more campaigns in their custom setting.
    That´s another difference, BG3 world is the D&D official Sword coast, in Faerun; Solasta takes place in a custom world with custom lore, races and subclasses.

If you want a comparison, BG3 is a story-based game like bg2; Solasta is a party-based dungeon crawler like the IWD games or the Storm of Zehir expansion of NWN2. You make the entire party, there are no companions and the story and dialogues are well made, but they are pretty linear. The point is the exploration and dungeon-delving, with an story to give you a reason to go from Map A to Map B and start dungeonering. Be aware of that if you plan to play the game.

If you do not like dungeon crawlers you may find the OC not very interesting, but there are fan-made auto-conclussive modules to play already, I encourage you to try some and give feedback.

Second question - I've been teetering on getting this for a while. I know it's out of EA. Are they planning on adding each class from 5e? It sounds like they're not all there yet (I may be wrong).
    They made polls during the kickstarter campaign to choose races and classes and in the end sorcerer, ranger, half-elf, etc won the poll.
    There are 12 classes in 5e (13 if you include the artificer that is not in the PHB) and they added Fighter, paladin, rogue, ranger, cleric, wizard and sorcerer, each of them with 3 subclasses, one official WoTC and two/three subclasses of the Solasta Setting only.

Right now there are not confirmed plans to add more races or official classes to the game unless they include them in future DLCs.

TA's plan for Solasta appears to be to work on expanding both the game and the modding tool through patches and DLCs, while their new sister studio moves on to developing a new game in the Solasta setting. So, at least in the context of providing enough work for TA, I would imagine they are going to keep adding to and expanding this game quite a bit. In fact, I feel they will use this first game as a sort of experimental testbed game. I expect there will be some sort of announcement from TA soon about their futire plans, as their devs have been very communicative about everything thus far.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @kanisatha , I got the feeling from dipping my toes in it that their intention was to create a platform for user created content and DLC, somewhat similar to what Neverwinter Nights was meant to be, although there was a *lot* more story and RP in the Neverwinter Nights OC. I've never agreed with the widespread negative impression of the NWN OC. It hooked me in immediately with "plague, four creatures for a cure, collect them" leading up to time travel and ancient races, and Aribeth, and Aaron Gend, and I still love it and play through it at least once every year or two.
    edited July 2021
    I have a few problems with it right out the starting gate, unfortunately. The tutorial is way too long and has to be gone through every game, which discourages replayability.

You´ll be happy to know there is a mod to skip the tutorial if you want to try it. ;)
    https://www.nexusmods.com/solastacrownofthemagister/mods/40?tab=description

Restarted the game to try the new "Sorcerer class" and new features. Not much in the dialogue department for Sorcs but they made an almost flawless implementation of the sorcerer class, as usual, with all the features: Flexible casting, bloodline spells, metamagic, ... ( Well, they forget to add the blue dragon -electric- bloodline for draconic sorcerers but they have al the others, namely red dragon, black dragon, plague dragon, etc but I read in the Solasta discord they will add it later as a hotfix)

The two new subclases for sorcs, Mana painter and child of the rift, look interesting. The mana painter reminds me of the blood sorcerer of warcraft with his ability to absorb "mana" from the enemies. The child of the rift seems to be the Solasta version of the "favored soul" . The latter has an interesting bonus spell selection from the divine "spellbook".

All the sorc classes come with some aesthetic changes to your character, namely scaleskin for draconic sorcerers, etc.

Now the spontaneous casters, rangers and sorcerers, can change one of their known spells when they level up as intended in 5e, wich is nice because sorcs spell selection is very limited and they have no ritual casting; among more minor changes to the base game.

7rdysiddb04d.jpg

PD: Sorcs know 15 spells plus bloodline, indeed ¡At level 20!, without rituals unless you take a feat. By comparison, bards know 22 or more and wizs have a minimum of 43 spells in their spellbook plus all the ones you learnt in your travels.

The solasta OC is capped at level 10 so in the endgame you will know 11 spells plus the bloodline ones, with 5th level spells max.To be fair for a videogame those are enough, but that would explain the joke ;)
    As a corollary - I've also kept an eye on the Solasta modding scene. I know Solasta was developed with the SRC and not the full license, but I kind of figured modders would go in and basically add all of the 5e cannon archetypes to each class (and all the classes that arent in the game). I cant speak to how challenging it is to mod Solasta, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to why those kinds of mods havent been developed?

(I'm honestly wondering if it's legal. Like WotC sending Cease and Desist letters to modders making licensed archetypes available in an unlicensed game?)

There are "bard class" and "monk class" mods for BG3 but the mods that i´ve seen that add new subclasses for Solasta, for rangers or rogues; do not add the official subclasses to the game, they´re custom ones, so maybe you are not allowed to ¿?

Post edited by PsicoVic on
    edited July 2021
    @kanisatha , I got the feeling from dipping my toes in it that their intention was to create a platform for user created content and DLC, somewhat similar to what Neverwinter Nights was meant to be, although there was a *lot* more story and RP in the Neverwinter Nights OC. I've never agreed with the widespread negative impression of the NWN OC. It hooked me in immediately with "plague, four creatures for a cure, collect them" leading up to time travel and ancient races, and Aribeth, and Aaron Gend, and I still love it and play through it at least once every year or two.
    Interesting. I have always preferred NwN2, but mainly because I love party-based RPGs.

As for Solasta taking a NwN-like approach, I think the problem will be that modders can create content mods all they want but will not be able to create any systems or mechanics mods because of license restrictions. So any new classes, races, and the like will have to come from TA.

Also, while I may not necessarily agree with all of your critique of Solasta (though I do agree with some of it), I very enthusiastically support your airing of those criticisms, because that's how game forum discussions should be. It's awesome that this thread is not a one-note echo chamber. :)
    Post edited by kanisatha on
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/4548056813617649856

New hotfix is on. They get rid of the exploit where Spellblades could learn an infinite amount of new cantrips if they cancelled their level up at level 10.

kanisatha wrote: »

Also, while I may not necessarily agree with all of your critique of Solasta (though I do agree with some of it), I very enthusiastically support your airing of those criticisms,

...Sure I wholeheartedly agree with the spirit of that statement.

@BelgarathMTH, @PsicoVic, as the two other posters who are very active in this thread, let me ask you guys this (although obviously anyone is welcome to contribute):
    If in Solasta all else were the same except for the game NOT using the D&D SRD and instead using entirely homebrew rules and mechanics loosely based on the D20 system, would the game have been better or worse for it?

I ask because I'm trying to understand whether a developer using the D&D SRD is a net plus or minus for a game in the classic, old-school RPG genre.
    edited July 2021
    kanisatha wrote: »
    @BelgarathMTH, @PsicoVic, as the two other posters who are very active in this thread, let me ask you guys this (although obviously anyone is welcome to contribute):
    If in Solasta all else were the same except for the game NOT using the D&D SRD and instead using entirely homebrew rules and mechanics loosely based on the D20 system, would the game have been better or worse for it?

I ask because I'm trying to understand whether a developer using the D&D SRD is a net plus or minus for a game in the classic, old-school RPG genre.

It depends. In my case I became interested in the game and bought it precisely because it´s a very good and faithful D&D5e simulator that allows you to create and play more content. It´s fun to play for a TT player like me.

As far as dungeon crawlers go, if you strip it the D&D5e part, there are better ones in the market, to be honest, from "darkest dungeons" & "Tales of Maj´Eyal" to "dungeons of Nahuldeub", "dungeon rats", "Etrian Oddyssey", etc ... and the Solasta world is already in the making, as a setting is still in their bare bones. I hope the upcoming game and new content will help fleshing it out.

So yeah, I think the fact they are using d&D5e helps the game because it provides robust game mechanics tried and reviewed for years and with the marketing. Any game with the label D&D provides exposure for fans of the genre.

edited August 2021
    A new DLC is announced: Druid and barbarian class come to Solasta.

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/135-the-wishing-well-barbarian-druid-community-subclass-design

The Wishing Well is an event where everyone gets to submit design ideas for the two Community Subclasses that that’ll implement in-game for our first upcoming DLC – one for the Barbarian, and one for the Druid. Tactical Adventures will be going through the submissions to select ideas, and either implement them as such, or tweak them to fit the game . The name (or nickname) of those they’ll use ideas from will be added in the game’s credits as Community Designers.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @kanisatha "Also, while I may not necessarily agree with all of your critique of Solasta (though I do agree with some of it), I very enthusiastically support your airing of those criticisms, because that's how game forum discussions should be. It's awesome that this thread is not a one-note echo chamber. :)"

Haha, yeah. Can you imagine?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    That's a dig we perfectly understand. And it's fully off-topic.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That's a dig we perfectly understand. And it's fully off-topic.

I apologize if I misunderstand this post, but as I read it, this feels like an assumption has been made of my intent.
    There's pretty muted reception to this DLC on the Steam forum as there are already mods that cover these classes and there seems to be greater excitement for WotR and other newer titles, with this not being enough to hold people's attention. Some also think this should have been available on release. I will get it (whether free or not) but it would be nice if it came with a higher level cap, a new campaign and/or more tools for player made content. Modders have already put out some great new class content already so this seems a bit slow.
    edited August 2021
    I am not really a fan of DLC that add only new classes, skins or a few items to a game, because it goes dangerously into "cash-grabbing" territory. The previous DLC that added sorcerer came for free and it was a tier from the Kickstarter campaign so it does not count.
    I hope the new DLC would add more than this.

That said, even it´s not specifically stated in the announcement, there are some people that poked around the code after the last "sorcerer" update and found that they added a ( empty) frame to add:

- max levels increasing to at least 12 more likely 13 or 14
    - druid and barbarian classes.
    - and a new campaign with some new CR 15/16 bosses

But there is no official confirmation so it´s merely speculation.

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited August 2021
    IMO 5E doesn't work well in high levels. Too much hp and too little damage. For PC's and NPC's.