Skip to content

Zoom-in feature?

Hello, I thought this game was supposed to have a feature to zoom in or out? I don't see any such feature. I did finally get it to work, but no zooming.

Comments

• Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    my middle mouse wheel zoom seems to work just fine.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I don't have a mouse wheel.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Nic_Mercy said:

my middle mouse wheel zoom seems to work just fine.

Likewise.
    What about people who don't use a mouse with a mousewheel?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You may be stuck, at least for now. The developers are aware of it, though.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Hmm. It would seem those people have a problem... just tried every key there is and doesn't seem there's one for either zooming in or out.
    @Silverstar, I know, right? This seems like a huge oversight to me. Why in the world would they assume that every user has a mousewheel control? There are lots of mouse types for sale, and lots and lots of them do not use mousewheels.
    It was an oversight; they're working on fixing it.
  • moe182moe182 Member Posts: 26

What about people who don't use a mouse with a mousewheel?

maybe they get one, ebay, 1.99 dollars!!!!!!
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    I can't fathom using a mouse without a mousewheel these days. I know it happens, but...I kind of feel like someone just threw a brick at my face.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Try Page-up / Page-down? + or -? Home / End? I use an ASUS laptop, and "pinching" seemed to do the trick for me.
    @MedullaOblongata, (love the name, by the way - you must have very good autonomic nervous responses), there are no keyboard keys that activate zoom in/out. Someone said the devs were aware. But, I still don't see how they could hardcode such an important feature of their re-release to a control that a significant minority of users have no access to.
    @Aosaw, I'm not sure that majority is quite so vast. I use a trackball with two programmable buttons, and there are other models with four to eight programmable buttons, and there are also gaming mouses with other configurations.

Maybe I shouldn't have turned down the invitation I received to be a beta tester.
    I have heard that once you go trackball, you never go back. I always thought they were unwieldy machinations of the Ancient Ones, but you know...once upon a time I worked in retail and begrudgingly sold trackballs to customers that wouldn't go any other way. Devotees for sure.

I see one benefit to a trackball. When a game frustrates you, you can remove the shiny red ball of death and hurl it with all fury at your roommate. Definitely more entertaining than throwing a NES brick.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I wonder if they will implement keybinding into the options in the future? It would help put the matter to bed. I haven ever played this game beyond Candlekeep, so it was fun playing with the keys, messing with the UI and making it vanish. :D

@Aosaw, I'm not sure that majority is quite so vast. I use a trackball with two programmable buttons, and there are other models with four to eight programmable buttons, and there are also gaming mouses with other configurations.

Maybe I shouldn't have turned down the invitation I received to be a beta tester.

Ah, I see. I was picturing an old-style two-button mouse with nothing in between, which is something I haven't seen actually being used in about eight years.

All I can say is that something's in the works. I can't say for sure what it'll be, although it will probably be some kind of rebinding through the hotkeys options screen.
    edited November 2012
    @darthchair, the appeal of the trackball is much more practical than that. I play all PC games from my recliner, on my TV. My mouse sits upon the right armrest of my recliner. I control everything, and I mean EVERYTHING with my fingers. There is no need to move my right arm, which sits comfortably upon my recliner armrest and doesn't budge.

I am one of those people like in the movie "Wall-E". I want to sit in my recliner and be entertained every day, forever, without moving. I want robot arms to serve me all my food and drink, and I don't want to move anything but my EYES to control my world. Yes, I'm that lazy. And, when I watched "Wall-E", I was rooting for the ship.

When those idiot people gave up Heaven to become dirt farmers on post-apocalyptic, barren Earth, I was like "Wut?" Nope. No way, no how. Blow up all those stupid, cute, little robot characters, and let's get back to our Heaven ship floating in outer space in our recliners with the robot food-servers and computerized entertainment, please. Who cares if my body is a fat blob?

LOL
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    o wait...that one doesn't really help
    you might want to try autohotkey
    http://www.autohotkey.com/
    and the script http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/scripts/NumpadMouse.htm
    Trackballs...the blue pill of the gaming world! Which is fascinating because I know there are blue trackballs, but a lot of the ones I saw were red. So...they started out as a lie! Hah! There is no trackball!

That is a really interesting defense for the trackball philosophy though. Whereas I have my caveman violence, you have learned that your milkshake really does bring all the boys to the yard.

I salute you, sir. But I must request a copy of any x-rays you might have in the future. Those bones they had were hilarious. I do hope they figure out a way for you to be able to zoom in and zoom out though. The high resolution texture does look a tad bit tiny. But so crisp! I zoom all the way in and it looks pretty bad. Haha.
    @junk11, thank you for trying to help me find a workaround, but that won't quite do it for me. It was a really nice try, though. What I really want, is for devs to do a simple little keybind for the zoom feature.

I'm sorry, friends, but I still don't see how they could possibly neglect to bind a huge, major function like zoom to the mousewheel only, with NO KEYBIND on the keyboard. I have NEVER seen any other game, ever, that did such a dumb thing. They ALL have keybinds for EVERY function related to the camera control. I would challenge anybody to come up with an example of an RPG where this is not true, except for this one.
    You're bordering on complaining for complaining's sake; I'm not sure what else I can say.
    @Aosaw, I was answering some other posts, and venting, before you posted that last post. You can't really do anything else other than your assurance that the issue is within the awareness of the devs, and that they are thinking about a solution. Thank you for spending so much time and effort trying to address my whine/vent.
    @junk11, thank you for another potentially good workaround. I actually have already used that program in order to get the Oblivion hotkey controls to work with the num pad.

The trouble with workarounds like that, is that they don't include "mousewheel up" and "mousewheel down" among their bindable commands. I have the same issue with my Logitech mouse software. It includes bindability on my two programmable buttons for almost every command you could imagine, except "mousewheel up" and "mousewheel down".
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Lol I tweeted him about it and laughed because I too, don't have a mouse wheel

Pretty amazing they overlooked that one.
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    Is there a ".cfg" you can edit with keyboard keys? I'd look but I just got of game and am about get some sleep. Should look into it though. I'll check in the morning myself because there's some keybindings I'd like to change my-self.
    @RavenX it's in the game itself: Options > Gameplay > Reassign Hot Keys. It's at the top.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229

Lol I tweeted him about it and laughed because I too, don't have a mouse wheel

Pretty amazing they overlooked that one.

I'm not shocked. Of all the potential problems they have to prepare for ahead of time, this is rather minor so I can easily see it just never occurring to the devs.
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    edited November 2012
    @belgarathmth
    I tried the script myself, the mouse wheel function does work with num- and num+ as well as the "zoom in" in bgee.
    u need to turn "scroll lock" on before the keys acting properly

if it still doesn't work, then u will have to wait for the new patch :/