Skip to content

Downloading BGEE Mods

Jkbight56Jkbight56 Member Posts: 20
I am having a horrible time trying to add mods to my BGEE game, I am no dummy when it comes to modding because I have downloaded mods for other games but this is very confusing to me on all the steps I have to take to add mods to BG1. When I try to down load the main mod installer it tells me to load in Infinity Game and when I do I get a error saying I didn't put it in the right file. I have Windows 10 and my BG version is 2.5.17.0 I believe and I have BG 1 & 2 plus Dragonspear and Icewind Dale installed on my PC. I have looked at videos and went to Google and read the forums in here on modding and none of it worked, I only want to download SCS, Unfinished Business, amd NPC Project 1 (These are my main 3 choices). I might download others nut I really want to download the three I mentioned. I wish I could talk to someone on Skype or Facebook Messenger so I could tell them what is going on when I am given instructions to download what is needed. Again I know my way around a PC but the steps I have seen on YouTube and Google are confusing me. Look forward to a response and thank you

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I am not sure what exactly is your problem. Are you trying to download the mods or are you talking about installing them to your game? What do you mean by main mod installer, are you referring to the setup-modname.exe every mod has?
    "Downloading" a mod means usually downloading the mod package from a mod page. After that, you need to extract the archive (usually a ZIP, sometimes an exe or rar), place the content - which should be a modfolder and a setup-modfolder.exe - into your BG:EE game folder (the one with Baldur.lua in it) and double-click the exe to start Installation.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jkbight56Jkbight56 Member Posts: 20
    The only places I see BG 1 & 2 are on my Desktop and in documents and when I open the game in documents I don't see chitin.key listed and I don't have a games folder because Microsoft removed it
    And in response to Jastey I am trying to download mods to play in BG1 or 2
    The entry in documents is just your saves and other settings.
    Your games probably are under C: -> Program Files -> BeamDog -> game folder (for me, BG:EE is called 00766, for example). It might be Windows hid them, so you'd have to look at hidden folders, too.
    Best you copy the game folder somewhere else, outside the Program Files folder, or Windows will always try to protect them which makes installing mods difficult. Just copy the whole game folder (the one with teh chitin.key in it) to another drive and mod that game. You can mod and play it independent to your official installed game folder.

The download of the mods you were referring to are here:
    SCS latest release (follow the "GitHub" link)
    BG1NPC v24 beta
    BG1UB latest release

From your first post, I can only stress that the mod packages - after downloading them - need to be extracted and actively (not to say manually) installed to your games.

Also, if you have SoD (Siege of Dragonspear) be GOG or Steam, your first mod before any other would be the DLC Modmerger or the mods won't work properly.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Just follow the ‘download’ link for SCS, you don’t need to go to Github.
    Beamdog isnt in my Profile Folder because I haven't downloaded it I guess and it isn't in Profile 86 either
    I downloaded the BeamDog app now
    Am I having these issues with downloading mods because I bought the games from Steam instead of BeamDog?
    Downloading the mod package has nothing to do with where you bought the game. Downloading is connected to your internet access and where you chose to save the package on your computer.
    *After* downloading, however, you need to extract ("unzip") the mod package and copy the content of it into your game folder to install the mod to your game.
    I don't have a game folder Microsoft removed it
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,059
    She doesn’t mean a folder literally called “Games.”

For steam, you’ll usually look at C:Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common Folder/Baldur Gate 1 or 2.
    Thank you for that info and I was going to download ModMerge and it gave me all these y/n questions and when I went to press I for install I got this error message

1: Backup your chitin.key as chitin.key.bak
    2: Load our chitin.key
    3: Load our sod-dlc key file
    If unsuccessful, attempt to extract dlc/mod.zip, and create sod-dlc.key
    The data/ folder inside sod-dlc.zip will be placed inside the folder sod-dlc/
    4: Merge our mod sod-dlc into the chitin.key
    5: Overwrite our chitin.key
    6: Rename dlc/sod-dlc.zip to dlc/sod-dlc.disabled

I did find the chitin.key but it gave me no options to do backup and I don't know where to go to download the other chitin.key or sod-dlc. This was never that hard to download mods for Skyrim but I don't want to quit because I feel I am close to downloading Modmerge and then getting the few mods I want. Its a shame that we couldn't talk on facebook or skype so I could show you what I have. Again Skitia and all the others that have responded to my question I thank you very much for the input
    edited July 2019
    That's not an error message. Just press y after that text.

lijl6vks5lel.png

However, make sure you are running modmerge.exe from C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common Folder/Baldur's Gate 1 or Baldur's Gate 2 (Place it out of the zip into that folder, don't run it from within the zip or in download).

It's actually not that much harder than skyrim, once you have this down, all other mods are literally putting the files in your BG folder in the steamapps/common/BG1 or BG2 directory, and running an exe. And if you did manual rather than automatic installing of mods for skyrim, you'll know its the same process.

If you have snipping tool (Which all windows users should have automatically) It's easy to screenshot what you are doing for troubleshooting if you're still having issues.
    I look at the Baldur's Gate 1 folder and the only one I see is modmerge-win32. Is that the correct folder I am supposed to try and run?
    or correct file?
    edited July 2019
    You need to open the folder, then move the .exe file inside of it into directory C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common Folder/Baldur's Gate 1. Then run the .exe.

c7kqyq7bbaln.png

Note: You can't "run" a folder. Folders just hold files. You run certain files though (Namely .exe ones).
    I just want to thank you for your help and patience. I got it downloaded and added some mods I will check later to see if they work. But there is a Romantic Encounter mod that I cannot get to work and it may be one that you created (RE 12.7 I think). I hope you can help me with this mod and make it work. Again I thank you for your help
    I ~definitely~ did not make Romantic Encounters, too adult for my tastes.

I'd need more information, what sort of errors are you getting? Any error messages, or description of the problem?
    just said I need to download to Infinity Game directory and I don't know how to find it
    Infinity Game Directory is the same as your Baldur's Gate 1 directory ( C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common Folder/Baldur's Gate 1). That's all it means.
    I put it in the Badur's Gate 1 file and all I got was this: ** ERROR ** [SETUP-BG1RE.TP2] not found.
    Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and
    that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.
    Press ENTER to exit. I did extract all the files and tried to run the setup and I got the above error message
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Is the exe inside you game folder, or is your exe inside a folder in your game forlder
    All I know is that I download the mod to Baldur's Gate 1 folder than I extract it and then try to run the setup and I get the error msg to put it in a Infinity Game Directory
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Jkbight56 Subtledoctor mention that the Infinity Game Directory is where "chitin.key' file is. Extract the mod into this directory and run "Setup-ModName"
    I seem to have trouble finding the directory. Could you show me how to find it?
    edited July 2019
    It's probably in the same directory as I informed you of before. C:/Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/Common Folder/Baldur's Gate 1). This is the same thing as sayin "Infinty Game Directory", this is where your chitin key would almost always be.

Move the .exe file INTO the directory and then run it.
    this where I went to: [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\bg1re_v2-7\setup-bg1re.exe] WeiDU version 24600. I extracted the RE_v2-7 and then tried to run the setup-bg1re.exe and I got this message: Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory")

Press ENTER to exit.

I don't understand why some mods I can download with no problem and other mods I get this when I try to run the setup exe after extracting the zipped file
  • ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
    edited July 2019
    This makes me wonder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\bg1re_v2-7\setup-bg1re.exe?

My browser puts all files from the inter-net in the "Downloads-folder" on my computer. I make a left click on a mod-package, than right-click it and hit the option to extract it in a new folder. I double-click this new folder and I can see now (because "I am inside this folder on Windows 10") a setup-mod.exe renamed WEIDU.exe and a folder with all the mod resources (including the setup-mod.tp2). These two instances I have to copy into my game folder and run the setup-mod.exe there.

artifical_sunlight gave You an important hint: if the mod-resources-folder is inside a folder (this is, what my extracting-unzipping-program is doing and propably Yours too), than You have to copy or move this mod-resources-folder outside "the unzipping-folder" and the setup-mod.exe into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition - folder on Your system. When both setup-mod.exe and the "moding-data-folder" are there You are good to go. Otherwise You get this error: FATAL ERROR: Failure("Not a game directory").

Huh! All went down to: Move the data outside this folder: bg1re_v2-7 one instance up and delete the folder and install this mod.
    setup-mod.exe and mod resource folder are not in the BG1 Folder