Skip to content

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The indigenous druid/beast tamer faction seems reasonable interesting with their root-like horns and all. Though not really a fan of the other ones. My first impression is something like the medieval Portuguese Empire set sails towards the Carribians but winded up in primordial Ireland instead.

They're the folks that did Bound By Flames though. A game I personally was rather fond of. The Technomancer on the other hand was more a love/hate relationship.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    So has anybody actually tried it yet? The reviews so far don't make me that enthused about dumping time and money into it.

Everyone's comparing it to dragon age, but which one? If it's Inquisition, then I'm definitely out, the combat in those games has just gotten worse with every iteration. They went from great tactical RPG combat in the first one, to tired MMO style garbage.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I recommend a review by PC Gamer: https://www.pcgamer.com/greedfall-review/
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I've seen it, rpgwatch also has links to a bunch of reviews
    https://www.rpgwatch.com/#42986

But, I'm more interested in hearing people's actual opinions on it at this point. What I'm hearing hasn't exactly made me enthused about getting it. At least since it's a lot shorter it won't have my biggest complaint about DA:I, that the game had 120+ hours of content, but maybe 20 hours of it were remotely good.

Jebus, I just watched a combat video and it's lame lock and target style combat for ranged. Can you free aim fire arms, or is that all lock and target like magic? Is the melee any good, or is it just pointless hack and slash like DA:I? The more I'm seeing the less enthused I get.
    JuliusBorisov
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    To some it is far too dialogue heavy: the prologue along is a good two hours of just talking if you do all of the ambassador sidequests. Which in itself isn't really surprising, given that you are supposed to be a diplomat of a large merchant organisation.

The combat is its true bread and butter. I'd say it is more difficult than DAI but less taxing than Dark Souls. Especially the beefy beast bosses require you to kite. A lot! The melee magic skills are quite enjoyable. Not really a fan of their implementation of firearms though.

The greatest issue of its combat however are the repetive NPC lines. Kurt's “Move away, things are going to get dicey!“ remark is especially getting on the nerves. Imagine hearing this lines about three times per minute each and every battle to get a foretaste of this audio horror.

Also, the crafting system is nicely fleshed out.

My greatest beef with the title probably is the lack of nonhumans. Even the ingame human ethnics are just copy paste of real life. The merchants being French, the Bridge Allience being Arabian, the seafaring folks only ethnic identity being their Maori face tattoos and the Islanders are Gaelic through and through. I find their world building to be a lackluster at best.
    I saw this game on Steam and wondered about it. This review helps me way more than any website review. Thanks @Kamigoroshi!

It looks like you don't have direct control of your party? Is this correct? How does the party system work?
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited March 2020
    Purchased the game. The first boss was actually pretty then hard. Is not perfect, there are too little spells, the character progression is too simplistic BUT the game has the basic of what i expect in a RPG game. The gear customization is amazing. And armor looks gorgeous. There are many ways to solve the same quest depending on your skills with science, alchemy, charisma, etc.
    Jebus, I just watched a combat video and it's lame lock and target style combat for ranged. Can you free aim fire arms, or is that all lock and target like magic? Is the melee any good, or is it just pointless hack and slash like DA:I? The more I'm seeing the less enthused I get.

Unfortunately there are no free aim but i will not stop playing just because of that.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited March 2020
    My opinion after playing more 10 hours

The good
    • Not having cooldowns on magic and on firearms is a huge plus for any modern game
    • Good reputation system and solving a quest in different ways impact your reputation
    • The theme and atmosphere. Theleme is heavily inspired by Spanish kingdoms during "reconquista"
    • The combat considering that was made for consoles is good
    • There are "N" ways to solve the same quest
    • Some bosses are hard.
    • Armor is gorgeous. There are no carnavalesque armor. Armor looks like what a Spanish "conquistador" would use.
    • And you can customize your armor in "N" possible ways, changing the paldrons for eg.
    • I managed to run on my GTS 450. The game is very optimized and the graphics even on low aren't bad.

The bad
    • No way to aim with firearms and magic
    • No reload animations for firearms
    • Most puzzles are annoying
    • Some bullet spongee enemies
    • The game isn't that big(20 hours according to hltb)
    • Leveling and character customization is too simplistic. Extremely better than other modern RPG's like inquisition

Things that are just my preference
    • I prefer slow magic that deals insane damage like Gothic 1 over the Greedfall magic who is very fast but not that deadly
    • The itemization where you get like 2x more damage just by upgrading a single item. I prefer when getting a +2 axe is a huge improvement over a normal axe like D&D. And +2 means just more 10% chance to hit and more 2 damage per strike.
    JuliusBorisov