Skip to content

Trent Oster Interview on BG, NWN, KotOR, Dragon Age & Beamdog

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
Trent Oster talked to USgamer on a bunch of topics, from the early days of BioWare to Beamdog.

Check it out!

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/reflections-on-the-early-days-of-bioware-co-founder-trent-oster

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Agreed! I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be D&D based due to licensing issues, but still, I'd be interested to see what they come up with!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Whatever they make, I hope its their own IP. A lot of SoD's weaker areas were due to ip and interquel cosntraints. I need to see Beamdog really flex their crativity without another company holding them back.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i;m not the biggest fan of the post 3rd edition lore in general. it pretty much negates alot of the stuff from the games by bringing the dead three back. and it removes alot of the stuff i liked from 2nd and 3rd ed lore.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Who needs D&D anymore (or D20 OGL for that matter) if studios could just as well pick up Pathfinder/Starfinder, Numenera, Trudvang Chronicles or even The Dark Eye? The tabletop ocean is vast and has possibilities granting far more creative freedom than WotC is ever willing to give.

Yup, and especially since even in its current iteration D&D rules and mechanics and systems are not the best and leave a lot to be desired. One can do better.
    It would be really awesome if there were something like the D&D OGL but for the settings rather than the rules, so that a studio could use, say, the Realms (or Darksun or Eberron or whatever) but without using D&D rules.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    kanisatha wrote: »
    It would be really awesome if there were something like the D&D OGL but for the settings rather than the rules, so that a studio could use, say, the Realms (or Darksun or Eberron or whatever) but without using D&D rules.
    That's kinda doable. (Though a "full" license rather than the way cheaper OGL one should be required for this.)

While not WotC related, we saw pretty much the exact same circumstances happening. Twice even: Daedalic Entertainment of Deponia fame received The Dark Eye license from Ulisses Spiele and then proceeded in making both Chains of Satinav and Memoria. But instead of using the appropriate TDE PnP ruleset the folks over at Daedalic made (very successful) Point-and-Click adventure games out of them.

Then again... in contrast to the way more combat-focused D&D, TDE excels in its story telling. Many hardcore fans of tabletop TDE even found Drakensang to be too combat heavy. Which is probably one of the reasons of why Chains of Satinav and Memoria were so well received in the first place.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    That's kinda doable. (Though a "full" license rather than the way cheaper OGL one should be required for this.)

While not WotC related, we saw pretty much the exact same circumstances happening. Twice even: Daedalic Entertainment of Deponia fame received The Dark Eye license from Ulisses Spiele and then proceeded in making both Chains of Satinav and Memoria. But instead of using the appropriate TDE PnP ruleset the folks over at Daedalic made (very successful) Point-and-Click adventure games out of them.

Then again... in contrast to the way more combat-focused D&D, TDE excels in its story telling. Many hardcore fans of tabletop TDE even found Drakensang to be too combat heavy. Which is probably one of the reasons of why Chains of Satinav and Memoria were so well received in the first place.

Oh I'm sure it is absolutely doable, from both legal and practical standpoints. It's a question of whether WotC would be open to it, which I strongly feel is a 'no' given that it is precisely their settings that they seem to hold on to the most tightly and possessively.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on