Skip to content

Game style inquiry

SyndareeSyndaree Member Posts: 56
edited October 2019 in Off-Topic
So RPG's have always been my favorite types of games but lately I feel the desire to try something similar yet different. What I am really looking for are games that have the same kind of continuity and that have a reasonably static world. Say I love playing Civilization games and the love the fact you can lead a civilization from nothing to global dominance, but the world in them is far from static and these days I find it really stressful that I could lose the game and all my progress if I don't play well enough. Most RPG's don't have that mechanic and that's why I love playing them - they have a real sense of progress but you can't really lose your progress at the same time because the world is relatively static; you can take your own sweet time to explore it and you can't really mess it up by being too slow or making bad decisions. I also enjoyed Warcraft III as it had a good progression but the fact you only have each hero for one campaign was really unsatisfying.

So does anyone know of any genres or particular games that have good progression, where you take something (a town, hero, civilization, etc.) and expand upon it and build it up and go through challenges with it?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Sounds like you want the Simulation genre. Especially Simulation/RPG hybrids such as Stardew Valley may be just the right thing for you. Games like SV give you a task (in this case farming and animal husbandry), let you explore dungeons, fight enemies and also have divere mini games in them. It is also highly moddable if that's your jam.

If farming doesn't interest you, no problem. Another personal favourite of mine is Subnautica: a scifi/adventure genre hybrid with crafting/building, exploration and survival on an alien waterworld planet. Think of No Man's Sky but below the waves.

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Heroes of Might and Magic might fit your bill. I can only recommend HoMM 2-6 however. 2 is outdated and 6 gets old pretty quickly but 3-5 are pretty good. I've heard bad things about HoMM 7 but haven't actually played it.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker. In addition to being a great CRPG you build a kingdom and managing it is a huge part of the story, you like Civ, so that might be up your alley.
  • SyndareeSyndaree Member Posts: 56
    Kamigoroshi, thanks for your suggestions, will definitely check them out.

Balrog99, I actually loved Heroes 3 and 4 years ago but I can't get into them now because you can lose the same way as in Civilization and you don't get to keep your heroes throughout the entire story.

DrHappyAngry, that sounds good, but I need a better PC for that :)
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    You may want to try King's Bounty https://store.steampowered.com/app/25900/Kings_Bounty_The_Legend/, if you haven't already. Compared to HoMM it lacks strategic aspect, but has 2-3 times as deep tactical combat.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Endless Legend

https://store.steampowered.com/app/289130

So it is a 4X Fantasy Hybrid. Each faction has its own unique storyline and quest that progresses the game. You are given a hero at the beginning of the game (and can buy more as the game progresses) who can lead armies to fight of roving monsters and explore the world and it's ruins (think Civ Goody huts). Doing so gives both the hero and the army XP to rise in level. You have a chance to align, or tame the monsters that rove the land by pacifying their villages either through quests or domination. Like other 4Xs, you can build cities, and through these cities you can train more troops, build wonders and gather science to progress through the ages.

It is a 4X game, and you will be competing against other factions, however, you can play with one (or two) factions on easy, you can easily ignore them and just focus on the quests that are given to you. It's also still timed, however, there is an Endless time mode that gives the player 600 turns (which is double a Normal Game speed) and unlike Civ, doesn't mess with the progression values.

Start with the base game before buying any expansions. Like most 4X games, there is a lot to absorb and getting the basics down before adding things like "advanced winters" and "lava terraforming" will make it easier.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Syndaree wrote: »
    Kamigoroshi, thanks for your suggestions, will definitely check them out.

Balrog99, I actually loved Heroes 3 and 4 years ago but I can't get into them now because you can lose the same way as in Civilization and you don't get to keep your heroes throughout the entire story.

DrHappyAngry, that sounds good, but I need a better PC for that :)

Really? The game runs on the onboard Intel video on my laptop, so it's requirements aren't extreme. Maybe if you told us what you've got we could get an idea what you can run.

Admittedly Kingmaker does turn the tables on some things, like you should do things when people tell you to and there are timed quests. There are lulls between main quest stuff where you have time to explore and develop your kingdom, but when the main quest stuff comes up you should deal with that. So that might bug you.