Skip to content

Age Rating in Australia

CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
edited December 2019 in General Discussions NWN:EE
21pkml8pu0u1.jpg

Apparently crappy sport games with real gambling mechanics is fine for kids but a D&D game from 2002...that's just too much.
Hmm i don't remember being "Rewarded" but i can only remember one reference from SOU from an NPC in town who replies to you flirting with her but it never actually happens, well i suppose she does imply it as a reward for helping the town through the disaster but it doesn't happen.
I suppose in the OC there are 2 Brothels >:) .
Lame sport games with real gambling mechanics "Approved for all ages", NWN EE "Adults Only".
The original release in Australia was 15+, that makes sense to me...it's mature.

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    perhaps its also because it has online interactivity? im not sure how the rules work there
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Yeah, rating systems are making less and less sense. Google Play for example has a ton of games with expensive IAPs, rigged gacha, underage sexualization, and nonconsensual groping all rated E or E 10+.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    The only thing I can imagine it referring to is the prostitutes at the Moonstone Mask, where I believe instead of taking a monetary reward, you can accept the gnome prostitute's offer of sex. Either way though, it's AMAZINGLY tame compared to some other games out there. The R rating hardly seems justified. XD
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    "Wide open women's clothing, heads on spikes, torture equipment, the ability to steal a baby and feed it into a machine."
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    "Wide open women's clothing, heads on spikes, torture equipment, the ability to steal a baby and feed it into a machine."
    Sounds like a Rated E for Everyone. Now, My Little Pony on the other hand deserves nothing but an Adults Only 18+ box logo.
    In all seriousness, though: age rating boards as a whole were never sensible in the first place. This holds true for ESRB, PEGI, USK, IARC and CERO as well. Probably also others too. They feel just so incredibly randomly picked at times. The Australian IARC is especially heavy handed in that regard. In other news, NwN:EE for the Switch is rated PEGI 16 within Europe and yet USK 12 in Germany:
    307?cb=20190923001119&path-prefix=en81v6-W0eWbL._SL1500_.jpg
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited December 2019
    Oh that's right in SOU i remember being able to steal a baby but....feed it into a machine...umm I never experienced that and don't intend to ?.
    I've had more time to remember more of the mature content and I do think it's 15+ and yeah there are some disturbing journal's that can be found which I think most 15 year old's would be able to put that into context.
    Am I giving people too much credit?
    edited December 2019
    Thinking back Australia didn't even have an 18+ rating until 2013, before that it was up to MA 15+ (Mature Accompanied) and I'm thinking of a few games that would be changed to 18+ if rereleased today.
    Dragon Age Origins was marketed as a dark fantasy and it was much more explicit, I remember being surprised a few times about what was happening, if that was rereleased today... definitely 18+.
    I remember GTA 5 got taken off the shelves here until the 18+ ratings where brought into effect, having played through it...yeah it's definitely 18+.
    I don't think NWN is more explicit than BG 1&2 which is only rated M 15, the difference between M 15 & MA 15+ is
    (Mature (M) – Recommended for people aged 15 years and over. People under 15 may legally access this material because it is an advisory category. This category contains material that may require a mature perspective, but is not deemed too strong for younger viewers. The content is moderate in impact, although in recent years, the "Moderate" indicator prefix is omitted from the consumer advice, eg. "Moderate violence" is referred to as "Violence").
    (Mature Accompanied (MA 15+) – Contains material that is considered unsuitable for exhibition by persons under the age of 15. People under 15 may legally purchase, rent, exhibit or view such content only under the supervision of a parent or adult guardian. A person may be asked to show proof of age before renting or purchasing an MA 15+ film or computer game. The content is strong in impact).
    If anything the ratings board probably missed a few thing in BG 1&2.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    I just realized Kingmaker was rated M while the rest of the expansions were T in the USA. So it isn't surprising that a collection including everything will get the M rating (or 18+ for Australia).
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Cerabelus wrote: »
    Oh that's right in SOU i remember being able to steal a baby but....feed it into a machine...umm I never experienced that and don't intend to ?.

I had to rack my brains for a bit before I remembered which quest that bit was referring to! IIRC, it's the one in Hilltop where there's a woman who asks you to go into a burning house to rescue her baby and husband. (Hubby didn't make it.) On coming back out, you can be Evil and say you'll keep the baby, in which case the woman attacks you. I never picked that option, but it sounds like you could "use" the baby in Drogan's mystical machine to create... something? I never tried it, and like you, I'm not particularly keen to find out. XD
    @Zaxares

Yeah that's the quest but I only took the Baby on my first play all those years ago just because the option was there ? but after that I always give her money, her life and the village got turned upside down because of Drogan's magic item hording, it wasn't my fault but I feel the need to help them recover.

Maybe I feel guilty from that first playthrough, I use to play evil characters in my early days of D&D.

I still remember my first plays of KOTOR 1 & 2...so evil ?.
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293

Sounds like a fun time.