Skip to content

Switch Version - What a poor effort

tinbluetinblue Member Posts: 18
edited December 2019 in General Discussions NWN:EE
So I've just seen the first 20 minutes footage available on youtube and I can see now why they have not been showing this off until a few days before release. Absolutely no effort whatsoever to improve the UI. There is no way this will be playable on the Lite and possible not even the regular Switch in handheld mode. Not unless it comes with a free magnifying glass!

Really disappointing.

Comments

• JessaraJessara Member Posts: 18
    The Switch version doesn't even work online. None of the servers can be selected in the server list. I paid $80 for a piece of junk that doesn't work :(
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Jessara wrote: »
    The Switch version doesn't even work online. None of the servers can be selected in the server list. I paid $80 for a piece of junk that doesn't work :(

That is because the servers are still using the v78/8186 version. The server admins need to update the servers to the new version. This usually takes a few days.
    Why weren't they ready for the Switch release? It was advertised that we can play on Arelith and Ravenloft servers.
    Because a lot of the infrastructure that is needed to run a PW is done by volunteers, and you need multiple unpaid people to find the time in their schedule to update the individual components needed for a PW to migrate. These people don't get a cut from your $80 purchase, and don't really need to answer to anyone. Maybe they're on vacation.

BD/Skybound/Nintendo has allowed the players to connect to these servers, but it's up to the server admin to decide what to do with them, on their own terms and their own schedule.
    Well that is false advertising and which is illegal in Australia. I won't be recommending this game to anyone. Beamdog need to be sued for this mess.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Why weren't they ready for the Switch release? It was advertised that we can play on Arelith and Ravenloft servers.
    I guess the main reason is that the console release is on the new stable patch version 1.79 which only released last night for PC. As it is quite a substantial one (including 64-bit build for instance), the servers haven't been able to switch around to the new patch yet.

Arelith is at least looking forward to the console players (http://nwnarelith.com/index.php/news-list/arelith-comes-nintendo-switch-and-xbox) so I assume they are hard at work on making the transfer.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2019
    @Jessara can you play the OC, the expansions, the premium modules? So play them while you wait for the unpaid people (who are nothing to do with BD) to get today's brand new patch integrated into their persistent worlds. They have not had any preferential treatment from BD and so are only getting it at the same time as the rest of us on PCs.
    Have patience.
    TR
    I've already checked out Arelith's forums and you can't even sign up to ask questions unless you've played the game first.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited December 2019
    The game hasn't been officially released yet on console worldwide.

We know you can’t wait to jump into the persistent worlds of NWN:EE. Please hold on a little bit longer as both the Arelith and Ravenloft persistent worlds are updating their tools.
    It has been officially released on consoles. The game was released in Australia almost 24 hours ago.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It has been officially released on consoles. The game was released in Australia almost 24 hours ago.

Depends on the platform and your country.

Nintendo Switch: Midnight PT December 3, 2019
    Xbox One: Midnight PT December 3, 2019
    PS4 (North America): 8 am PT December 3, 2019
    PS4 (Europe / EMEA): Midnight Local Time December 3, 2019
    edited December 2019
    One server has appeared on the list. An Arelith PVP one. Hopefully the rest will be there soon as I don't like PVP much. Warning: You need to download a 700 MB file to play on the server.

EDIT: Don't bother with the PVP server it is rubbish. By the way, we won't have any online multiplayer now. These Arelith people can't get the latest patch to work. So false advertisement. Where is the online multiplayer and what is Beamdog going to do about it?
    Post edited by Jessara on
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    How does NWN:EE play on the Switch Lite? I already own it on Windows, but it sounds very seducing being able to play it in my bed.

Is the text readable on the Switch Lite?

Thank you!
    I can see the text quite well on the normal Switch handheld. I'm thinking it'll be similar for a Lite.
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    I can see the text quite well on the normal Switch handheld. I'm thinking it'll be similar for a Lite.

Thank you! Sounds wonderful Neverwinter Nights on the Switch!
  • CelesTialCelesTial Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2019
    One server has appeared on the list. An Arelith PVP one. Hopefully the rest will be there soon as I don't like PVP much. Warning: You need to download a 700 MB file to play on the server.

EDIT: Don't bother with the PVP server it is rubbish. By the way, we won't have any online multiplayer now. These Arelith people can't get the latest patch to work. So false advertisement. Where is the online multiplayer and what is Beamdog going to do about it?

All of Arelith's servers are full PvP servers, in addition to being roleplay enforced. You just can't attack anyone without roleplaying first (that's a rule), and after killing someone you can't interact with that person again for 24 hours.

And as someone else said, the PWs are run by volunteers that are in no way affiliated with Beamdog. They aren't obligated to fix a Beamdog patch that breaks their PW. Fixing the patch so it doesn't break anything is Beamdog's job.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2019
    CelesTial wrote: »

All of Arelith's servers are full PvP servers, in addition to being roleplay enforced. You just can't attack anyone without roleplaying first (that's a rule), and after killing someone you can't interact with that person again for 24 hours.

And as someone else said, the PWs are run by volunteers that are in no way affiliated with Beamdog. They aren't obligated to fix a Beamdog patch that breaks their PW. Fixing the patch so it doesn't break anything is Beamdog's job.

So Beamdog is never supposed to patch their games unless they run it by persistent world server operators?? Exactly what percentage of people picking this up on Switch do you imagine are doing so to play online vs. the campaigns?? Because my guess is it's way, WAY lower than you think. Half the time people are using this console is when they have no internet connection whatsoever (bus, work, car).
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    So Beamdog is never supposed to patch their games unless they run it by persistent world server operators??
    This is what the dev patches are, essentially. People who have an interest in keeping their server functioning will try out the dev patches, and provide feedback. If a dev patch breaks something, BD should fix it. All changes (ideally) go to dev first, before a full update happens.

• ShaunSwitchShaunSwitch Member Posts: 5
    The poor performance of this port is pretty staggering considering the age of the game.

Seems I'm not the only one dissapointed. It's a shame, NWN is such a good game and deserves better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/e5qbim/neverwinter_nights_mini_review/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
    We need details about exact problems to be able to address them. Please report at https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals
    CelesTial wrote: »

The server I was talking about is a PVP arena one. There was nobody playing on it and the enemy I spawned to fight against killed me in one hit. It was not an RP world, just arena rooms.

• CelesTialCelesTial Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2019
    One server has The server I was talking about is a PVP arena one. There was nobody playing on it and the enemy I spawned to fight against killed me in one hit. It was not an RP world, just arena rooms.

Ah, you mean the PGCC. It's not an actual 'play' server, but more of a character creator module / character test arena where people try out different builds, level those builds to 30 for testing purposes and see how they would perform in PvP.

The play servers (3) are called Surface, Cities and Planes, and Distant Shores. Don't worry too much about PvP, it's mostly easy to avoid if that's what you prefer (and if you don't walk into the wrong area with the wrong alignment). Because of the roleplaying requirement, people don't jump each other at random. Any attack needs roleplay and an IC reason.

• CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    edited December 2019
    I've been playing the Switch version for a couple of days now and I had some learning curve navigating the UI but I'm doing ok now, I'm having a problem with the shortcuts with spells and wands, I setup my 1st wheel of the ZL shortcuts with weapons, wands and items than the 2nd and 3rd for spells and I find some spells I can't use on the wheel unless there on the 1st wheel and the Wand of Front I can't get to work at all on the wheel.

Starting at the top going clockwise quick slots 2 & 3 on the 3rd wheel I can set shortcuts but when I try to select them they are blacked out as though I've used them but I haven't, and the Wand I tried different slots and it's always blacked out.

For a spell caster shortcuts are very important.

Something else happened while using the wheel to drink a potion, in the OC I was fighting the Sword Coast Boy in the warehouse and he hit me for 18 damage so I "tactically retreated" and when I used the wheel to drink a few options my character kept saying in text above his head "No Killer!"..???, After my triumphant victory over the zombie I left and I drank another potion outside but it didn't happen again.

I've played NWN many times and I never experienced that before.

Edit: after more testing it seems certain items blacked out on one wheel blacks out the same slot on another wheel, I found a Wand of Fire and it works fine and now the 2nd slot is fine now but not the slots sharing the Wand of Frost, any spells on the same slot as the Wand of Frost on the other 2 wheels are blacked out until I remove the Wand, it doesn't explain why the other slot is working now but if it means I can never use the Wand of Frost...oh well.
    Post edited by Cerabelus on