Skip to content

Low performance in 1.79 default windowed - fullscreen normal

SoulsCollectiveSoulsCollective Member Posts: 16
edited December 2019 in Technical Support
After waiting on the performance issues I've been experiencing with the EE to be resolved for over a year (see previous thread on this here), I was hopeful for the new 1.79 patch with the fabled 'new renderer'.

While it appears that some improvements have been made, I am still encountering performance issues. Specifically, in default windowed mode that EE version 1.79 launches in, performance is unplayably low - sub-10FPS in all areas according to in-game FPS counter and RivaTuner. This extremely low performance remains constant regardless of in-game graphics settings (tested resolutions down to 800x600 with all options disabled), and with nVidia control panel settings for the game all at default (also tested with 'prefer maximum performance' in NVCP for nwnmain, no difference from regular 'optimal power'). NWN Diamond Edition from GoG runs flawlessly in windowed mode.

In fullscreen mode - achieved via Alt-Enter, because the game seems to be currently ignoring fullscreen flags - performance is over 90FPS in all areas at maximum graphics settings. Unlike my previous experiences with the EE (see above thread) fullscreen performance is excellent at all tested resolutions, including non-native resolutions, which is a tremendous improvement.

As a result, it's now possible for me to play and enjoy the EE. However, it would great to be able to play your game windowed, as seems to be the new intended default, and this remains an issue over the previous Diamond build.

Full system specs and attempted troubleshooting per earlier thread. Using current 441.41 nVidia drivers.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hi! The 1.79 patch still doesn't include the new renderer. We're continuing working on it.
  • SoulsCollectiveSoulsCollective Member Posts: 16
    The 1.79 patch still doesn't include the new renderer. We're continuing working on it.
    I see - from the tone of the Steam update notes ("The new patch is finally here!" x64 exclusive, codebase refactor, shader system overworked, etc) it seemed otherwise - thanks for the correction.

However, if this is not the 'new renderer' I was told a year ago would be the only solution to the unplayable performance I am experiencing, and yet this patch has produced signficant improvements (although not a full fix) - it would seem that the 'new renderer' might not actually be the only possible fix? Accordingly, I would appreciate it if your team could now see fit to offer some customer support in resolving the issues the EE has over the previous Diamond edition, rather than leaving paying customers in limbo for literally years.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The renderer is still in the works. It's taking too much time, yes, but we're doing that. We're fairly sure the renderer will fix the performance/stability issues you have reported.