Skip to content

(bug) Rest suddenly broke in coop after 20+ hours of play.

Game in permanent pause when you rest and says cant do anything when movie is playing. Fix with movie files didn't work. Any ideas how to fix this?

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 633
    edited December 2019
    Try loading the game solo and rest, see what happens.

If the host can rest fine on his own, could be the guest's game being corrupt.. or the opposite, if rest can not be done even solo.
    I'm not sure if this is an obvious case of the process stalling for either one of you, or if you can both view the cutscene but the game refusing to unfreeze/unpause afterwards.
    You're not being very specific!

If the problem persists, try another save game entirely.. or create a new one for that matter.

Just make sure to isolate the case to either:
    1. Broken game/install of either host or guest.
    2. Broken savegame.
    3. Networking/De-sync issue.
    4. Mods? If you're supposed to have an Irenicus/Romance rest interjection and mismatching mods/install orders are involved, things will crash and burn.

If the savegame is broken i'm not sure that can be recovered.. but i have never, ever heard of a case like this for a save (without mods), so i suspect it's the game for either host or guest.
    In which case it's a matter of complete re-install.. it could be a rendering/codec issue, as all the cutscenes are movie files - failure to load them would certainly make the process stall.. again, this would be a complete re-install to ensure clean files.

Updates to soundcard/gfx card could also affect this.. well it could, if it was 1998.. shouldn't be an issue these days.
  • MaudMaud Member Posts: 2
    Khyron wrote: »
    Try loading the game solo and rest, see what happens.

Sorry for not being specific enough. Pretty much tried everything that you suggested. Including complete reinstall for us both. It's save game issue. Game works just fine when i rest solo or when we rest in new game in multiplayer. We both reinstalled the game/both tried to host the game. So the game bugs out ONLY if we are together on this exact save. (and since we doesn't rest often all our saves became corrupted that way) And yeah we don't use any mods or modified game files in any way.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 633
    So you can load up the corrupt savegame and rest solo, but if your friend joins it doesn't work?

If so, try resting solo then save the game - have your friend join - then try to rest again..

Perhaps if you rest solo once, you can skip some issue..? i don't know.

When doing re-install, make sure to not just uninstall it. Afterwards go find the install locations and remove any remaining files manually, if there are any.

Last resort would be to take the .sav file and transfer it to your friend, let them try to be host on that specific save file.. i don't expect it'll make a difference, but at least it's one more thing to try.

It does seem like it might be the save being bugged somehow, but if it works in Solo play/multiplayer hosting without other players.. but doesn't when others are in.. well, that's beyond me.

I've tried to finish BG1+2 with a friend in coop, but sadly we run into so many problems along the way that we give up - have a new go every time there's a new patch. It's either a million disconnects, npc spawning in places they don't belong, quests/interjections/scripted events not working etc.. but it appears many are luckier than us and don't have much trouble at all.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    Try to rest solo (you can even move the save file to Single Player and do it there), go through the problematic period, and save again. Then try to continue in MP.