Skip to content

SUGGESTION: expansion, even if it's just classes

Would anyone support Beamdog to create an expansion, that if no adventure, had thirty new prestige classes in it (maybe even NWN2's base warlock class)?

If not, this could serve as a wishful thinking thread. I'd love to see the arcane trickster.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Me personally? Not really, no.
    That's pretty much the reason of why PRC does exists for with its 220 different classes, thousands of feats and spells and all that bustle. I see no value of Beamdog replicating the same thing, but with much less content and a price tag attached to it. It may see some limited success on the new consoles platforms (which are unmoddable), true. But that's about it.

To make things worthwile for all platforms Beamdog would need to sufficiently differentiate such a "classes DLC" from the dozens and dozens of mods out there doing the same thing. Like creating new brand new creature models for shapeshifting/ summoning classes. Or new kind of weapon types, each with new models, animations and sounds to go with for new weapon focused classes. Then I could see the point of purchasing such content.
  • ChreelisterChreelister Member Posts: 30
    Yes, I would. Add something too for the consolers. So a standard non-hak extension pack, like Hordes or Shadows would be awesome, in my opinion. New classes, new tilesets, new creatures, new portraits, new voicesets, new armor types, new weapon types, etc., especially a new campaign that's like Infinite Dungeons that consolers can play, maybe even higher levels like 50 or 60. I think something like this would make more nonEE servers switch over to EE.

I know you can get a Hak to do whatever you want. But something official like an expansion makes it easier for everyone, easier to get, install, use, work and so on, especially for consolers and would bring new life to NWN.
  • TrixterTrixter Member Posts: 237
    I'm hoping the months delay in Beamdog Tyrants of Moonsea is so Ossian CAN add more content.
    I wish with Daggerford, the voice sets could be used when creating a new PC.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Trixter wrote: »
    I'm hoping the months delay in Beamdog Tyrants of Moonsea is so Ossian CAN add more content.
    I wish with Daggerford, the voice sets could be used when creating a new PC.
    I expect they wouldn't be wasting time there since that wouldn't really earn Ossian any more money for a $10 game that they share profits with Beamdog and WotC on.

But I suspect they are working on The Blades of Netheril (AL4), which like Tyrants of the Moonsea (AL3) is a project by Luke Scull. As he said here:

"When The Blades of Netheril eventually sees the light of day, it will be both a sequel to the AL series and the official campaign and expansions (including Ossian's D&D stuff)." --The Blades of Netheril (inc. enhanced AL1, 2 & 3)

Originally he wanted TotM, his first two modules, and the sequel to them to all be enhanced and in that package with The Blades of Netheril, but they decided it was better just to work on Tyrants of the Moonsea and skip the first two since there wasn't enough to go on (he says it more precisely in that thread I linked).
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I would rather they address outstanding issues with the base game before they continue to spend time on ports and content. While I realize that some people have already fully bought into NWN EE and just want new content I think their priority should still be securing the backing of at least 90% of the community first. Anything they do now is always going to be that much more diminished.

Not to mention that nwnx is no longer available and the site can't be accessed, all of the old plugins can't be accessed anymore. The people behind nwnxee probably haven't converted all of the old work to the new project yet either after two whole years. The potential of the game and activity of the community is severely diminished because of these lapses.

Sure, they could add prestige classes, anyone could because it's not too hard and just lacks clear tutorials. Unfortunately since they don't try to appeal to the entire audience with the base release anything they do make will only be for their most loyal customers, which will no doubt impact sales and quality.

So they really should get their house in order before they think of adding more bells and whistles. Then again they should have done that two years ago as well so who knows.
    edited December 2019
    So they really should get their house in order before they think of adding more bells and whistles. Then again they should have done that two years ago as well so who knows.

Exactly. I appreciate the new resolution, minor graphics tweaks, and keyholing, but I feel like so much time has been spent of porting to console and tablet that not much has happened to make it feel very "enhanced." And I really don't get why they put some much work into that new hidden UI. The only thing I can foresee myself using it for is fixing the bugs it caused. NWSync just puts gigs of files on my computer I can't easily undo and would rather handle manually in case I don't like the server I tried out. I'd like to see more useful things that every player can appreciate, like keyholing (well, I guess some may not like it, but really, it's nice to not have obstructions now).

Personally, I'm hoping that now that they have console out of the way, they can actually start making the game look better (still waiting on True Type Font support :pensive: ).

I do like to see more content come out though. User content is great, but Ossian's work is so much more polished even compared to the original NWN modules. If Beamdog could just work on improving the game and other studios made content (probably will just be Ossian, but I'd love it if more got on board), I'd be very pleased.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    Personally, I'm hoping that now that they have console out of the way, they can actually start making the game look better

Agreed. Though I have very little interest in the console version, it is good for the overall health of the game as the potential for sales is there. A full blown expansion is unlikely, I think, but a few more premium mods (a completed witches wake for instance) would be nice.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited December 2019
    An expansion that would take full advantage of the new renderer and look completely next gen would probably spark a lot of interest and bring in new players.

Beamdog should put all their focus on visual improvements and UI, basically. The community can make PrCs and stuff.

I'd like to see an official $20 expansion that would be chapter one of a new campaign. Featuring full party control of 4 characters, redesigned UI and upgraded/new graphical assets. A showcase of NWN's future as a modern looking game.
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    edited December 2019
    Whenever the request to introduce new classes is made, the "there is already the PRC/this can be done by modders" brigade ,arrives.
    When others ask for something, i do not even dream of saying "no we don't have to add this to the core game".
    Have a little respect for others requests as others have for yours.
    The game belongs to the whole community and not to a small part that claims the right to decide for everyone else.
    RifleLeroy wrote: »
    Whenever the request to introduce new classes is made, the "there is already the PRC/this can be done by modders" brigade ,arrives.
    When others ask for something, i do not even dream of saying "no we don't have to add this to the core game".
    Have a little respect for others requests as others have for yours.
    The game belongs to the whole community and not to a small part that claims the right to decide for everyone else.

Well, he asked for opinions. But you have a point that it'd be nice to have and responses have been a bit dismissive.

I agree that the PRC isn't necessarily the solution. It'd actually be nice to have a class expansion into the unmodded game since the PRC is a work in progress and isn't readily applied to premium modules or custom modules.

I think the reason most people would rather just say modders can do that is because there is still work that we'd like to see done that only Beamdog can do, not because it wouldn't be a nice feature. But I'll readily admit, the PRC just wasn't for me. I don't like how it bogged down the game and didn't apply to modules seamlessly. And I would love to have something like Favored Soul be native to the game.
    It's just about getting your priorities in order.

Some things are nice to have and some other things are holding up at least a third of the core community from playing Enhanced Edition. If they're not playing they're not buying, if they're not buying less money is made, if less money is made less money is spent on future updates or expansions. It's that simple.

Over the past two years a lot of people have said this thing or that thing will bring in so many new players it wont matter. The truth is none of what people said would help has had any significant impact. Maybe this time could be really different, who knows, but if it's not then who takes responsibility?
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    I hope at least one of you is right.
    But there is enough content out there to allow you to play for years without running out.
    My only wish is that Beamdog can fix the companion ai and/or to fix the game to make soloing a mage to not be a sleepfest
    edited December 2019
    Staran wrote: »
    I hope at least one of you is right.
    But there is enough content out there to allow you to play for years without running out.
    My only wish is that Beamdog can fix the companion ai and/or to fix the game to make soloing a mage to not be a sleepfest

Beamdog can't fix D&D to make solo mages anything other than a sleepfest. They already overpowered summons and I think it made the game worse, not better. Summons are now significantly more powerful than any other spell of the same level which unbalances the casters towards summoning.

They also can never fix the AI to be better than fully controlled party members. Manual control is the only thing that will reliably stop them from rushing into traps and enemies like idiots. It would also enable other things like puzzles that involve several people doing something at the same time.

D&D is a party based game and they should just embrace that fact and give us full parties with manual control. In single player that is. Multiplayer is perfect already. But even in multiplayer two players both controlling two PC's for a party of 4 would be great.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    1varangian wrote: »
    Beamdog can't fix D&D to make solo mages anything other than a sleepfest. They already overpowered summons and I think it made the game worse, not better. Summons are now significantly more powerful than any other spell of the same level which unbalances the casters towards summoning.

What changes were made to make summons more powerful? I'm curious since I don't really see much difference between summons in NWN:EE and the original NWN that I played years ago. In both cases, summons last for a full 24 hours, but you're restricted to having only one summoned creature out at a time (although henchmen can summon their own 1 ally each). The downside is that all those summons also take away a share of your XP, which actually makes me reluctant to use summoned monsters in most situations.
    edited January 2020
    Summons in 3.0 have the duration of 1 round/level.

In NWN they changed a short, one fight at best, duration to effectively permanent.
    Not only did they change the duration but they also improved what you summon. SM I gives SM II equivalent, SM II gives SM III equivalent and so on. You should start with a fiendish/celestial rat which is weaker, but SM IV you get the fiendish dire wolf. Familiars are also more powerful, normally they're animals that can't survive combat, it's like wiz/sorc get the improved familiar feat for free.

There are some other stand out changes too, notably the spells that Bioware introduced are not exactly scaled to the regular spells or provide stronger versions of things that would generally not be available.
  • Drewbert_ahoyDrewbert_ahoy Member Posts: 96
    There's no party of six like in Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or whatever. It's just your wizard and a single henchman in the OC and SoU. So that's why summons were improved. You need something to tank damage.
    There's no party of six like in Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or whatever. It's just your wizard and a single henchman in the OC and SoU. So that's why summons were improved. You need something to tank damage.

The best thing that could happen to the OCs would be to replay them with a fully controllable party of 3-4 from the existing henchmen.

It would require rebalancing some encounters and spells but it would absolutely be worth it.

PC Wizard + Tomi + Daelan + Linu for a classic D&D party.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    The best thing that could happen to the OCs would be to replay them with a fully controllable party of 3-4 from the existing henchmen.

It would require rebalancing some encounters and spells but it would absolutely be worth it.

I wholeheartedly agree, although in order for NWN to be turned into a proper party-based game, it would need a lot of work. The biggest problem with NWN henchmen at the moment is the difficulty in controlling them properly. I almost always run NWN campaigns/modules on Normal because I can't stand the way henchmen keep on running into my AoE spells as a Wizard. The inability to control their spellcasting on the fly is also a huge drawback.
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    I know this is wishful thinking but the ideal scenario for me is.

A new campaign set...anywhere i don't care (I'd rather not see Nasher again).
    Party Control...please.
    Story driven with decisions and consequences.
    Side quests involving choices that take into account Skills, Attributes & Classes.
    Fix broken classes like the Pale Master not getting proper spell progression, a 15th lvl Character (5 Wiz 10 Pale) has the spell slots of a 10th lvl but casts spells as if 5th :'( .
    More spells from NWN2.
    A crafting system may be nice but not essential.

As for a new class well if the Warlock from NWN2 was brought over i think the Infinite spell casting would be broken combined with Haste effect quick casting :o , but i would love to see the Eldritch Knight, Mystic Theurge and some other prestige's from NWN2.

You could introduce some of them with a new campaign by having companions and the villain's use some prestige classes.

Oh and the mobs actually be made good such as a room of baddies comprised of 2 Fighter, Archer, Wizard and Cleric so they can actually support each other and outfit them with at least basic gear instead of just pumping up their HP....tactics maybe?
    Zaxares wrote: »

I wholeheartedly agree, although in order for NWN to be turned into a proper party-based game, it would need a lot of work. The biggest problem with NWN henchmen at the moment is the difficulty in controlling them properly. I almost always run NWN campaigns/modules on Normal because I can't stand the way henchmen keep on running into my AoE spells as a Wizard. The inability to control their spellcasting on the fly is also a huge drawback.

This is exactly why full manual party control is the most needed new feature for single player.
    edited January 2020
    Zaxares wrote: »

[/quote]

One way to create less work would be to make it a new difficulty setting "party mode." That way rebalancing doesn't affect already-existing play.