Skip to content

NearInfinity and EE Keeper Mystery

Originally posted in Steam Forum: https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/1747897354336526905/

Hello there,

So I am attempting to play a Gnome Illusionist/Thief that starts with 'Improved Invisibility' for their innate ability instead of 'Set Snare'.

Making the change in EE Keeper off-the-bat made my special ability broken in-game (and switched the default key to F12 from F1 permanently, which made me have to remap the Steam Screen Shot key).

I found this post in the Beamdog Forum: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41086/wizard-spells-as-innate-abilities-with-ee-keeper

Which explains how to modify the innate ability presumably correctly. However, I found upon inspection that the "Improved Invisibility" I chose in EE Keeper was already modified from wizard spell to innate ability. So now I am determined...

I compared the details of the 'Set Snare' ability that works - to the wizard ability I want - to the modified ability that is broken. There seemed to be discrepancies, so I corrected the modified "Improved Invisibility" in Near Infinity (to match the wizard spell values except for 'spell type' "spell ability' and "melee" details) and saved it with the same file name in the override folder I created in the same destination as the chitin.key. I confirmed the saved changes were applied to the modified ability in EE Keeper and once again selected it...

Again, this broke the in-game special ability function. The button is greyed out. So I tried adding it again in EE Keeper without removing the "Set Snare" ability and then..

The special ability works in-game and shows 'Set Snare', but no "Improved Invisibility".

So now I am at a loss. I think there must be a value in another file that has something to do with the innate ability function so that the game will only recognise the "Set Snare"

Does anyone know what is happening here and have a fix? It's driving me mental.

Thanks!

Comments

• nitidnitid Member Posts: 4
    Update: I just tried inspecting the SPIN698 file that is the modified 'Improved Invisibility' innate ability file in NearInfinity and it would not open, saying 'null'. So I deleted the file from override. Back to square one.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited February 2020
    Improved invisibility is much stronger than set snare, but if you aren't worried about that, then you might consider just giving yourself extra 4th level slots which you would then fill with improved invisibility.
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    You could also try copying or digging deeper into Quayle's innate "invisibility" spell. Either accepting a slightly less powerful version or finding clues on how to make it work.
    They are both 4th level spells? I guess the ability to maintain invisibility after attacking is clutch... It's about the character, for me. Set Snare is pointless in his repertoire. I tried with lv 1 Invisibility and same issue. I know not this Quayle or how to find the item code for NearInfinity, but that sounds like something to try.
    OK! Solved it. I was missing the tiny detail that I had not selected to have the spell memorized (under the 'xMem' column the added spell value was set to '0'). So, feeling silly but pleased.