Due to the Corona lockdown I picked up Baldur's Gate EE and while I've enjoyed it so far I can't find the proper PC to play with. I've narrowed it down to a Halfling (with a sling focus for RP purposes) and originally I went with a F/T. However, I quickly noticed that I was just playing him as a slinger fighter with only a little bit of stealth in order to scout locations I suspected of having traps. But because I was barely using the Thief side of the multi-class I'm now wondering if I should just go for a fighter.
I already know that the Halfling suffers from a 17 STR and that it makes a fighter less effective (and that slings aren't really that useful compared to bows), but I've tried other races and I always lose heart after an hour or two. I really want to play as a Halfling for RP reasons. Also to romance Aerie later on.
Anyway, the stats:
For Baldur's Gate: 5 in Slings and 2 in two weapons (planning ahead)
For Baldur's Gate 2: 5 in katanas (coolness factor and only game 2 seems to have really good katana) + whatever extra
I intend to spend most of EE 1 playing as a slinger who can off-tank to protect Neera and Imoen if necessary and slowly transition into a katana dual-wielder with a slinger as back-up throughout Baldur's Gate 2 EE.
I've tried to build my party around the Fighter.
Baldur's Gate 1:
- Imoen: thief focusing on picking locks and detecting traps. Not going to dual-class because I don't have enough experience with that yet.
- Khalid: not the greatest fighter, but a tank for the time being.
- Jaheira: Fighter/Druid and second tank. I like her healing, even if her stats aren't that great. What weapons can I even give her?
- Neera: My mage focusing on sleep and missile arrow
Final slot: companions for quests, but probably a focus on Branwen for cleric support.
Baldur's Gate 2:
- Imoen: I checked and she seemed to have 95 in lockpicking and detecting trap. Play as a mage focusing on blindness and those spells.
- Minsc: Mostly as a tank and damage dealer (Two-handed weapon)
- Jaheira: seems redundant, but apparently she's a really well-written companion in game 2.
- Aerie: healer and mage. Also romance option. And apparently one of the best companions.
Final slot: Neera or rotating companions for quests?
So my questions after this info dump:
- Is a halfling fighter/Slinger do-able with these parties? They don't seem perfect, especially with with the three mages in Baldur's Gate 2 EE.
- How important is armor? While a Halfling wearing Full Plate Armor sounds cool I'm not sure if it'd be good.
- Would these teams have enough thief skills? Or would a F/T Halfling fit better?
- If I really should play as a F/T, how do I play it? Like is backstabbing the main benefit or is there any benefit to playing as a fighter-focused F/T?
- What about Swashbuckler? It seems to be a fighter-esque thief.
Thanks for any advice you can give me. Sorry if this is a long list, but as I said I'm new.