Skip to content

Wasteland 3

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
Looks like it's delayed to August 28th.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1198
Damn, I was excited for this and even backed the game.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    No surprise. Backer Beta doesn't even work under Steam Play/Proton. Adding salt to the wound.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    No surprise. Backer Beta doesn't even work under Steam Play/Proton. Adding salt to the wound.

This doesn't sound right. Hope they'll not repeat the Bard's Tale launch situation.
    Official statement is the Backer Beta is only supposed to work for Windows, leaving Mac and Linux users sitting in the rain. Folks over at ProtonDB also share the same woes as me.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    An update on the final stretch, looks like it'll at least be out for windows on time August 28th.
    https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/updates/1317
    Yeah... filed a refund request on this game. If the beta is anything to judge the final release by, then SteamPlay/Proton won't work on it either. I see no use waiting half a year or more until InXile gets off their arses and finally graces us with Mac/Linux support. Something they promised back in 2016 to hit storefronts on release date.

Morale of the story: I'll never back a project from this studio ever again. Way too much trouble involved for non-Windows users...
    Got my backer key today.
    Rpgwatch has a roundup of reviews
    https://www.rpgwatch.com/#44460

I haven't had a chance to read those, but I did read the one on ars
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/08/wasteland-3-impressions-post-apocalyptic-tactics-ethics-and-economics/

They overall seemed to like it and the game's got a lot of choice and consequences, but looks like there could be load time issues. Sounds like when kingmaker first came out and had massive load times they eventually managed to fix.

At least I managed to talk my friend into playing a co-op game.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    A couple of questions

Do you guys know if there's any requirement to have played the other Wasteland games? I'm guessing the stories are compartmentalized, but I figured I'd ask.

My other concern is that you build your own party entirely. So it's not like they're NPCs so much as handmade characters. How does the game deal with every playable character being essentially the same (if that is indeed the case)
    It's a new set of rangers, so no need to play any of the previous games. No idea how much of the earlier games gets referenced, though.

You build 4 of the rangers, 2 at the very beginning and get a build a couple more after the tutorial section. You can also recruit 2 more NPCs into your group for a 6 person party. Man, I loved Scotchmo from WL2 and am glad him and the Hobo Code are back. There's some premade characters that looked like they had some background to them that you can use for your rangers instead of building your own. It being party based and limited ammo types, you'll want to spread out he skills and weapon types across the party, making party members different. So you'll want someone to be the face, someone else to do science and medicine and computers, a lock picker, trap disarmer, etc and then you'll want someone as a sniper, another one or 2 with assault rifles, maybe someone who switches between melee and handguns and eventually energy weapons on one person. Although that's based on my experience with WL2, since WL3 doesn't come out until tomorrow. It sounds like they streamlined some skills together, like lockpicking and safecracking use the same skill now.
    So far having fun with it, but the co-op seems pretty buggy right now. The text chat wasn't working and even though I didn't have a mic plugged in, my friend was picking up static from me until he muted me. We decided to play some single player for a bit so they can fix that and he can get better handle on the combat. It's definitely not a game you can walk right into fights without a plan. You really want to open with a sniper shot with everyone close to cover. You should still take a look at the lay of the land before you open fire and see if there's anything you can use to your advantage or an alternate route of attack that'd give you an advantage.

I'm really digging some of the songs from the sound track, it's really well done. Blood of the Lamb and Down In The Valley to Pray are really great songs.

I'm not far in, but so far the load times don't seem nearly as bad as some of the reviewers had. They're not fantastic, but maybe 10-ish seconds to load a new area. I'm on a fast 12 core rig with an NVME SSD, so YMMV.
    edited August 2020
    Turns out my refund request was denied for no particular reason given. Just great!
    Anyhow, as I already paid for it four years ago might just as well begrudgingly try my hands on playing the release build via SteamPlay. Installation works, so far so good. Loading the game works, even better. I can also navigate the main menu (color me surprised!). Aaaand then... we come to the moment of actually playing the game: black screen. Program freezes and needs to be manually terminated. Yaaaay~

... why am I not in the least bit surprised here?

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*
    Ya that sucks they delayed the Linux version, I'd much rather play it there then have to reboot every time I wanted to play it. There might be some tweaks to proton that can be done once they start to figure out the ins and outs of it, though. At least it should only be a few months until the Linux version drops.

I might start over now that I know a few things. One is it seems like no matter how high your coordination is, you can only ever get one shot with the sniper rifle, so I really wish I had put it all into awareness with some in intelligence for the sniper. The other thing is, Intelligence only gives you extra skill points once. So this means you only get your bonus skill points at level 1 or when one time at level up when you bump your intelligence to a new even level. The only reason to max intelligence now is to increase your crit chance.
    edited August 2020
    Also, interview with Brian Fargo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUEMTyt59E&feature=youtu.be

He mentions the Icon for Wasteland 3 is bigger than the original Wasteland 1 made back in the '80s.
    Post edited by DrHappyAngry on
    Rebuilt my crew and am doing a lot better this time. You definitely want one of your rangers to have maxed out Awareness so you can find all the Creepy Dolls (the games equivalent to bobble heads) to increase stats. Maxing Intelligence isn't as useful as in the last game and 4 is the bare minimum you want for coordination. Oddly intelligence is the second most important stat for a sniper after awareness, since it increases critical hit chances.

I love that there's a villain who runs the club Little Vegas named Faran Brygo.

I had a good laugh that Blackadder is one of the names the random name generator will give you :D
    Wow, I am seriously impressed with the game. They really exceeded my expectations. There's a perfect balance between dark grittiness, humor and just outright weirdness. The character development and story are much more involving than the 2nd game. There's a huge amount of choice and consequences, with a lot of the decisions guaranteed to piss off another faction. There's no way to please/save everyone.

I haven't managed to get entry, but there's this marketplace called the Bizarre (yes it's spelled like that, not bazaar), run by a faction called the Monster Army. I've heard their leader talking on the radio with this really hammy Romanian accent and his name is Flab the Inhaler.
    I ended up picking it up. Had an itch for a fallout esque game, and this one has scratched it. Unfortunately, I appear to have hit a game breaking bug. Sounds like they released a hotpatch today (1.01), and since then, I cannot transition from one area to another. I'm perma stuck in Colorado Springs.
    I ended up picking it up. Had an itch for a fallout esque game, and this one has scratched it. Unfortunately, I appear to have hit a game breaking bug. Sounds like they released a hotpatch today (1.01), and since then, I cannot transition from one area to another. I'm perma stuck in Colorado Springs.

That sucks, hopefully they get it patched soon and fix that for you. I've at least left Colorado Springs a few times, so it doesn't seem to affect everybody.

I've got to say, I dig the way they did the overland map and rolling around in that vehicle they give you. It'd be nice if they let you move the camera around in that mode, though, just so you could set a destination further away that you've been to and let the vehicle drive there instead of clicking the edge of the screen over and over.

That sucks, hopefully they get it patched soon and fix that for you. I've at least left Colorado Springs a few times, so it doesn't seem to affect everybody.

I've got to say, I dig the way they did the overland map and rolling around in that vehicle they give you. It'd be nice if they let you move the camera around in that mode, though, just so you could set a destination further away that you've been to and let the vehicle drive there instead of clicking the edge of the screen over and over.

I ended up solving it myself. I had read a few other people mentioning their anti viral software was causing issues with the game. I noticed mine was reacting to WL3 as well. Once I put it on the exclude list, everything started working.

Which is a little weird, tbh - I was able to boot the game up and everything, but not transition to new areas because of my virus software. I would have thought it would stop me from booting up the game alltogether.

In any case, it's working again. So that's nice.
    The Linux version of WL2 I had to drastically increase the open file limit in sysctl or it'd keep crashing. That's crazy it was trying to keep over 1000 files open at once. I've only had to manually increase the open file limit a few times in my life on servers that are just hammered, so it was weird a game would do that.
    Scotchmo finally showed up at my headquarters, so of course I recruited the drunken hobo.

The Gipper faction's hilarious. I love the Max Headroom like Reagan AI.

Best picture ever.
    Reagan.jpg
    The soundtrack to the game is so good, even if they didn't put it alll on the OST.

Ever want to hear a goth version of the Green Acres theme song?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnN6iBGABEU

How about a country version of Wang Chung's Everyone Have Fun Tonightz?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7KWG2AsmE4

Seriously Outerworlds sucked compared to this game, it's more Fallout than Fallout. Hell Outerworlds sucked period, at least his game has more than 2 enemies reskinned over and over. How are more people not enjoying it?
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I’m still trying to finish the Honest Looting achievement in Kingmaker. Next up is Wasteland 3!
    I finished the game today, had a great time doing what I'd describe as somewhat chaotic neutral play style. I'll probably do a goody goody run next and side with some of the factions I didn't last time.

So here's the big pay off for toaster repair
    I think it only took toaster repair of 9 to get it, although there are some toasters that need a 10. I didn't find any skill books for toaster repair. Sometimes when you repair a toaster you'll get a golden part. Once you've accumulated enough to put together the golden toaster, a set of coordinates will be unlocked on the map. I went in there completely expecting it to be an ambush, but there were no enemies at all on that map. After slotting the gold toaster into a thing at the coordinates, I got a companion follower, a toaster named Courageous. It shoots flaming toast at my enemies.
    toast.jpg

Here's my name in the the credits :smile:
    Credits.jpg
    Oh I forgot to mention at the ending (minorly spoilerish, I don't mention anything specific about how your choices play out, just how the ending is handled from a mechanics perspective.)
    There's an ending song that plays over some of the slides. The lyrics to the song are actually different based on how you dealt with the Patriarch's kids.
    Such awesome reactivity.