Skip to content

Mod conflict ("nonexistent weapon"): SCS and the NPC Project "Banters, Quests & Interjections" comp.

BettaGeorgeBettaGeorge Member Posts: 12
edited April 2020 in Troubleshooting
Edit: Turns out this was indeed a bug in the NPC Project mod. The amazing Jastey somehow came up with a fix within hours of me posting on the gibberlings3 forum. If anyone googling this error in the future should come across this thread, the bugfix can be found in this post.

Hi all! The readme of the NPC Project states that it is compatible with Sword Coast Stratagems, but I am unable to install both. I would like to resolve this, as both mods add amazing features I would not want to miss.

I'll provide first a short description of my problem, and below the full technical specs and debug log.

SHORT VERSION

I'm on a fresh Steam BG:EE install and use the Weidu installer to install the NPC Project, which works fine. I then try to install SCS, which runs until "Smarter general AI", which crashes with "Tried to identify nonexistent weapon ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.itm". This is not a very helpful error message as the "ÿ" (rendered as � [utf8 REPLACEMENT CHARACTER] on other terminals) is obviously a placeholder for some kind of non-ASCII symbol. Due to this, I am not even able to identify the specific item of NPC Project that is interfering.

Edit: I have tested different combinations, and the error only occurs if I try to install the component Banters, Quests & Interjections from the NPC Project. All other components get along with SCS just fine.

Anything I can do? Thank you in advance for any help!

Edit: What would happen if I installed just the Banters, Quests & Interjections component after SCS? SCS wants to be installed last. Would that break anything? I don't want to do half a playthrough and then end up with a corrupted save due to some weird interaction.

PS: Should I file a bug report with the mod developers? Their readme states the mods should get along, so either that information is outdated or I am doing something wrong.

FULL DEBUG SPECS

I'm on Ubuntu, BG:EE is installed via Steam and mounted on a case-insensitive virtual NTFS drive.

There are no other mods present besides the two mentioned.

SCS on its own installs just fine. The error only occurs if the NPC Project is installed first, specifically, the Banters, Quests & Interjections component. If I install components of the NPC project but that one, then the SCS installation runs fine.

BG:EE is up to date.

I am using the newest (I hope) mod versions, namely the ones available for download at gibberlings3 (links at the top of this post).

The complete logs of weidu, NPC Project, and SCS are attached as text files (I had to change the ending to .txt so the forum would allow me to upload them). The pertinent lines seem to be the following:
Applying kit/proficiency/script features to X#KETH

Tried to identify nonexistent weapon ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.itm
[weidu_external/data/stratagems/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 5078 bytes
Appending to files ...
[weidu_external/data/stratagems/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 5078 bytes
Appended text to [weidu_external/data/stratagems/sfo_warnings.txt]

Tried to identify nonexistent weapon ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.itm
[weidu_external/data/stratagems/sfo_warnings.txt] loaded, 5156 bytes
Copying and patching 1 file ...
[stratagems/lib/difficulty_controls.2da] loaded, 2957 bytes
override/X#KETH.CRE copied to weidu_external/backup/stratagems/6000/X#KETH.CRE, 1076 bytes
Copied [X#KETH.CRE] to [override/X#KETH.CRE]

After that, the weidu installer crashes with the following error:
Tried to identify nonexistent weapon ��������.itm
Copying and patching 1 file ...

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Smarter general AI], rolling back to previous state
ERROR: Sys_error("Transport endpoint is not connected")
ERROR: problem parsing TP file [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2]: Sys_error("Transport endpoint is not connected")

FATAL ERROR: Sys_error("Transport endpoint is not connected")
Fatal error: exception Sys_error("Transport endpoint is not connected")
Sidenote: once the installer crashes, the entire file system is left in an inaccessible state and I have to unmount and remount it to access it again. I would presume though that this is a problem with the way the system operations in weidu are implemented and the installer not exiting gracefully, so it should not be relevant to my problem.

Edit: just in case, I have also attached a full list of all .itm files that exist anywhere in my game folder, as produced by find . -name "*.itm".

Edit 2: reproduced the error to be able to post the full crash message.

Edit 3: Narrowed it down to just the Banters, Quests & Interjections component of NPC Project, but I am not proficient enough with BG mods to debug any further on my own.
Post edited by BettaGeorge on

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,700
    This was a conflict between BG1NPC and SCS caused by BG1NPC and is solved.
    This thread could be moved to BG:EE Modding or merged with the BG1NPC bug thread. Cheers!