Skip to content

Are the existent bugs in BG:EE REALLY critical for a good gameplay?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
Is it better to wait till the patches come out? How crucial the existent bugs are?
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• TurelusTurelus Member Posts: 23
    I think it depends from person to person, personally I have not have any game breaking problems.
    Neither have most other people, there ARE some problems people have been having though.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Some things that are written on the forum make me wonder if I have to wait.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited November 2012
    No, I wouldn't say so. Apart from issues with several video cards (which happen to most games), I don't think there are any game-breaking bugs.

With a game as complex as this, it's normal to have bugs right after release. It's one thing to have a couple dozen beta-testers, it's another when it's out in the wild.

At this day and age, it should be no secret: your money be damned, being an early adopter to any kind of software/hardware is gambling. If you can't/won't endure the initial hassles, that's your prerogative, but then I'd suggest you drop the game for a while and come back after the first patch.

And to anyone complaining about how you're better off playing original BG1: this was a complete engine overhaul (no pun intended) - having new bugs is the price to pay for many features that were outright impossible using the old version of the engine.

Also consider you're comparing a newly-released game with one that had plenty of time for patches and such.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The seem to be some people having some crticial, game breaking bugs, and most people not having them. Depends how keen you are to get started I suppose.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    People tend to create plenty of fuss about small details really, like buy-sell screen having some added texts that shouldn't be there, or the "HELP" button saying "Rest" instead of "Help"

Other people have actual bugs that can make the game a bit hard to play, like crashes. But as far as I've noticed, many of those can be fixed by adding compatibility mode for the time being.

PERSONALLY - I haven't noticed a single bug yet. I might be blind, but I've been Beta Testing since the end of August. The game, on my PC, works completely and totally fine. As for your PC, that I can't say for sure.
  • BabylonBabylon Member Posts: 10
    I can handle the crashes, button text, even glitches in how some abilities work etc. Really gamebreaking bugs for me are broken quests and broken interaction with party members. Anyone stumbled across something like that?
  • IlphalarIlphalar Member Posts: 68
    No, not even a single such a situation so far :-)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    edited November 2012
    @Cheesebelly
    Thanks a lot. Taking into account you've been Beta Testing for so long, does the game have the "talking" problem with Rasaad, as someone reports on the forum? It can be (if it's really there) interpreted as a big problem.
    @Babylon
    Agree. Broken interaction can be really bad. I so highly hope none of the new conversations and quests stops at some stage because of some problem.
  • jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33
    if you don't want to play in english, you'll have to wait. actually selecting another language make dispearing in game all sound dialogue....
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    edited November 2012
    Babylon said:

Really gamebreaking bugs for me are broken quests and broken interaction with party members. Anyone stumbled across something like that?

Alas, yes. Rasaad has completely bugged out in my game. He has a bug where he start initiating dialogue every second or so - whether he's in the party or not, which means that not only is it pretty much impossible to play with him in the party, you can't do anything in Nashkel either.

As long as I stay away from Rasaad and Nashkel, everything seems to be working so far, but I hope that gets fixed soon.
    @jlkawaii
    Personally, I see the English version as the best one.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @bengoshi From what I've gathered the Rasaad thing is being experienced by some but not all players. I haven't met him myself so can't really comment on whether it's gamebreaking or not. At worst it means you would have to not use him until the issue is resolved.

Ultimately it depends on you: everyone's tolerance is different. I had the blurry text at first, and was about to give up playing until I read how to fix it. My best advice is to try it and see which bugs you get and whether you think they outweigh the fun of playing the game in its current state or not.
  • jlkawaiijlkawaii Member Posts: 33
    @bengoshi perhaps i wasn't clear :) : i'm french, and if i want to play in french (mervellously translate by the french community), i can't have voice sound. i must wait for a patch for that.
    Sure, i could play in english, but why i MUST play with this language when my language is disponible ? :)
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    Havn't had any problems so far.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    If you consider multiplayer being broken then yes. If not, then so far it's playable solo.
    @GoForTheEyesBoo
    I think the multiplayer thing can be resolved only after the release of BG:EE on other platforms.
  • GoForTheEyesBooGoForTheEyesBoo Member Posts: 97
    @bengoshi so in other words multiplayer wasn't "enhanced" at all :) One more thing to cross of the list of what was said for enhancements versus delivered. I really hope that they fix the force close/crash on multiplayer before then.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Since I installed on my laptop (integrated Intel graphics) I had issues getting the game to run. However, as long as I enter, and leave, the game in windowed mode, it runs perfectly fine. I made it to Nashkel last night with no major problems. I *am* noticing various bugs and errors, but I haven't encountered anything game-breaking or frustrating. The game runs a LOT faster--I never saw a single loading screen last night.

Is it a completely polished release? No. Is it playable and enjoyable, despite the little scattered bugs? Definitely.

Regarding multiplayer, they pretty much said they'd have to wait till post-release to get it really working. So I'm not really surprised. But then, to me, the BG series isn't meant for multiplayer. ;)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It's been fun and fresh, so far.