Skip to content

Help! How to Add an Action Using NI

GregorIIGregorII Member Posts: 14
Hello all,

I'm playing the very buggy Shadows Over Soubar for the first time, and while I've been able to navigate my way around a lot of the pitfalls I've encountered so far, I think I outsmarted myself with this one.

When I get to Soubar, and talk to Winthrop at his inn, his initial dialogue is supposed to end with him opening his store so I can see his wares. Instead, it crashes the game. I checked in Near Infinity, and the last line is supposed to trigger the action:

StartStore("INN2616",LastTalkedToBy(Myself)) //

Except, according to NI, there IS no store Inn2616, which I think is why it crashes. I don't know whether it was a bad install, or another mod had a conflict with it, or whatever. In any case, I attempted to fix it by just removing that action, which worked...to a point. Now, the dialogue ends without opening the store or crashing the game, but Winthrop also is now stuck with his original line of dialogue every time I talk to him, instead of jumping to his next talk and advancing his plot. I can live without his store, but I need him to move on. So, I decided to replicate his original dialogue-ending action with a store that already exists in the game. I attempted to add:

StartStore("MERCHANT",LastTalkedToBy(Myself)) //

But while NI allows me to save this update and save the dlg file, it doesn't really update: when I exit NI and go back into the dlg file, there is no action.

I don't know whether it's because I'm trying to use a non-unique store, or because I missed something in the edit/update process. What step am I missing, and, more importantly, what's the simple fix that I SHOULD have done instead of trying to play mad modder like I knew what the hell I was doing?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    did you make sure to update before you hit save?

im pretty sure just hard saving before "update" or "compile check" will not work and you need to press those buttons first

once it compiles correctly then you can save it, or else it won't save
  • GregorIIGregorII Member Posts: 14
    I did click both update and compile before saving; both buttons went grey, but nothing else seemed to happen... Then I saved.

Starting to think there's a different trigger for the next dialogue anyway...from the walkthrough, it seems there's more involved. In any case, good GOD this thing's buggy.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,700
    @GregorII Thanks for the info about the missing store in SoS. It's the Candlekeep store of Winthrop which was present in classic BGII but isn't any longer in BGII:EE, appearently.
    Jarno attached a zipped version of it here. Maybe placing it into the override of your game fixes the issue.
    @GregorII sorry for double post. Which version of SoS are you playing?
  • GregorIIGregorII Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2020
    I'm using verson 1.15, Jastey. Thanks for the file, but it won't do me any good at present if it just adds the store back to the game, as I deleted the action that triggers it to open, and don't know how to put it back! But I will try it if I ever get to the spy quest...right now I'm having a a problem with the milita men not appearing for me to train, even though I know I captured and freed all ten of them. :s
    Thanks, that's the most recent version indeed. If you report the bugs, you might not get help right away but this'll definitely help debugging the mods for the next update.