Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[SCS] How do you win at chess?

I hope this is the correct board to post this – the modding board seems to be more about new mods and stuff, not about gameplay.

I am descending into Sword Coast Stratagems' improved Durlag's Tower for the first time, and everything I've encountered so far has been beatable without reloads except for that bloody game of chess. Even with my party buffed and immune to electricity, the enemy knights tend to focus CHARNAME and put a quick end to the battle by simply killing her. I have never seen those guys fail a single saving throw, so disabling them is apparently not a thing. I've tried different tactics, but I'm running out of ideas.

How did you guys win that fight? I loved this solo run, but it seems super annoying to actually do with a full party, and I'm not dismissing four characters just so I can cheese this fight.

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 2,493
    How about this? Turn all your characters invisible and have them run around the board, causing lightning bolts to shoot everywhere. This'll kill all the enemies, but your characters are immune to electricity and won't be harmed.

If you don't want to do that, you should be able to win the fight simply by killing the king. Once the king dies, the rest of the enemies disappear. So focus on the king and don't worry about the other enemies.

• BettaGeorgeBettaGeorge Member Posts: 6
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    How about this? Turn all your characters invisible and have them run around the board, causing lightning bolts to shoot everywhere. This'll kill all the enemies, but your characters are immune to electricity and won't be harmed.

Actually, all enemy pieces are immune to lightning bolts in SCS.

I have tried making my entire party invisible, surrounding the enemy king and killing him, but I need more than one round to kill him, and once I become visible, the other pieces need far less than one round to finish me off.

OlvynChuru
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 274
    Immediately when you are teleported cast 6 "fireballs" to the centre of chessboard. Use wands of fire, potions of expolsion or the second potion that has similar effect like fireball. Then repeat it next turn. Is should kill everybody. Your archers can use arrows of detonation. You can add protection from fire on every member of the party (via scrolls, potions and spells to be safe from fire damage.

• BettaGeorgeBettaGeorge Member Posts: 6
    edited May 23
    velehal wrote: »
    Immediately when you are teleported cast 6 "fireballs" to the centre of chessboard. Use wands of fire, potions of expolsion or the second potion that has similar effect like fireball. Then repeat it next turn. Is should kill everybody. Your archers can use arrows of detonation. You can add protection from fire on every member of the party (via scrolls, potions and spells to be safe from fire damage.

Sounds reasonable. Is there a way to fire an arrow of detonation at the ground though? I wanted to try this tactic before, but my archers refuse to fire without a target.

Edit: A quick test shows that this tactic would indeed work if using a potion of explosion didn't count as your action for the round. After throwing that, CHARNAME cannot become invisible for six seconds, which is apparently plenty of time for the enemy knights to get her from 120 HP to 0. Basically, it is easy to dispatch of everything but the king and two knights, but that leaves you wide open to be killed by said knights before you get a non-attack action again.

Edit 2: Never mind. The trick is to pause the game the instant you are teleported (before the dialogue triggers – it's too late afterwards!) to queue up the fireballs, then you hit everything and win without a fight. Surprisingly boring that way, but I'm not complaining. Though if you pause a fraction of a second too late, the knights will be outside the blast radius by the time your spells hit.

Post edited by BettaGeorge on