Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[Win10, Steam] Game crash at start ~ potential fix

TrixieTrixie Member Posts: 1
edited May 23 in Technical Support
Marketplace: Steam
Game: NNEE

Issue: Game Crash
Event Time: After pressing Play-Button and choosing NNEE.

11fm1apbsoyb.png

Specs: Win 10 Home (x64) v1909 OS18363.836 (KB4556799), 8 GB RAM, APU A10-7800 R7, Discret Card AMD R7 240 (Linked), AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 20.4.2

[If Win Defender « Controlled Folder Access » enabled]
1. Deactivate it for now.
2. Run « Verify Integrity of Game Files... » in Steam under Properties → Local Files of the game itself in the Library. //Comment: Or uninstall → reinstall.

[If above done or deactivated]
1. Start, Cortana or Windows Button → Control Panel → [Icons] Programs and Features
1b. Start, Cortana or Windows Button → Control Panel → [Categories] Programs → Uninstall a program
2. Uninstall OpenAL
3. Restart
3. Navigate to Disk:\Windows\System32, delete OpenAL32.dll //if available, else step 4.
4. Navigate to Disk:\Program Files x86\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32 and delete OpenAL32.dll //Yes, it's present twice!
5. Go to openal.org and download « OpenAL 1.1 Windows Installer (zip) »
6. Unzip and install
7. Restart
8. Navigate to System32, copy OpenAL32.dll and paste it in Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32 //full path in step 3, 4.
9. Go to Microsoft Support Visual C and download « vc_redist.x64.exe » //Heck, I downloaded both...
10. Install
11. Restart
12. Start the game via Steam or directly from Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32\nwmain.exe

If this fails, try: Start Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32\nwtoolset.exe. If you get an error which displays something about « 3D Preview not available », then either reinstall or update your graphic driver. //That was my case. I'd to update from 20.2.2 to the optional/unstable graphic driver 20.4.2.

You can reactivate Win Def Controlled Folder Access but make an exception rule for nwmain.exe.

It took me 4 hours to fix... Might I get a repayment for wasted time?

Thanks for reading. Good game. Good luck.

TrixieHunter

Edit: Added Photo and changed commentary sections //