Skip to content

thiefless game

it seems pretty clear that a single-classed thief isn't necessary to play through the entire baldur's gate series, but is it possible to play through without a thief of any level and not miss anything?

related questions:

are there any doors or chests that can't be opened by brute force or a knock spell?
are there any traps that are can only be bypassed by disarming them?
are there any times when it's necessary to pick someone's pocket?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Any door that can be picked, can be opened with knock.
    I don't actually know if there are goodies behind insta death traps that you can't just go around.
    Nope, you never have to pick pocket.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Yes, it is 100% possible to finish the game without a thief. However if your standard really were "not missing anything" then no it would not be possible since you definitionally wouldn't receive some loot you could have obtained through pickpocketing.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 664
    I can’t really understand if you were soloing, that you wouldn’t want a thief of some sort, because a thief is probably the most fun you can have in this game....

But yes, it’s possible, any class by itself is possible, just less fun :)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    without a thief you miss a lot of xp from finding traps and opening doors, but not much then that if you know how to tank the traps or avoid them
    an example is the traps on the steps in the slavers ship shaped home that constantly resets, but that can be completely avoided fighting the first part of the quest starting from the sewers, but then entering the last room from the slums

this, and the utter fun of playing a thief, that is so only for some players, me included, are the REAL things you miss.

every door or container can be bashed or opened with knock afaik, and every trap tanked or avoided but one, that even a thief can not disable, in the underdark, there your only options are avoiding it or using a cheap summon to trigger it, and most of the containers don't even contain something that strictly needs to waste a knock spell, ie there is a container in the 2nd level of d'arnise keep that nalia is not able to open, without using a potion or a knock spell, but the loot is probably not worth it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It can be done but sometimes you will have to rely on magical protections , potions or scrolls to resist the effects of a trap, and sometimes you will have avoid it totally.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,596
    edited May 2020
    The only unique thief ability that's key for the game is disable traps.

You can potentially find traps with a monk or the 2nd level priest spell. You can hide in shadows with a ranger or monk, even backstab with a stalker. You can open locks with any high strength character or the knock spell, and there are strength items. You can pickpocket with a bard, you even get access to high level traps with a bard.

There are a lot of traps in the game however. And setting them all off manually will become quite tedious. In the first game you'll have to worry about AoE traps like fireball and lightning. In BG2 there are a few very nasty traps like petrification, disintegration. It definitely could be an interesting challenge playthrough to go thief-less, but it seems like it would get tedious after awhile. There's also some useful gear you'll miss out on using as well.

If you're using the base NPC's, BG2 is balanced so that you don't need a thief stronger than Imoen.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Dharius wrote: »
    But yes, it’s possible, any class by itself is possible, just less fun :)

This isn't to sow discord but yeah, no it is not possible with all classes. A single class druid cannot beat the game. I know, I know I have seen it too but that was not without many to the tenth power reloads and a ridiculous amount of gameplay. The druid is great until the last battle but dreadful in the final melee.

No, a thief is not needed for the game. Not even remotely. In all actuality there is a way to circumvent every trap for every character class and the only chest that is in anyway important that you cannot bash in Slayer form is the chest that holds the Rune of Clangeddin.
    Hmmm..I don’t want to lecture you on the principles of logic...because I’m sure you know this, but:

Just because you haven’t yet succeeded, doesn’t mean it isn’t possible ;)

But hey, whatevs, you might want to enlist help from another person, say a thief :) Soloing this game is silly anyway ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @_Nightfall_ "This isn't to sow discord but yeah, no it is not possible with all classes. A single class druid cannot beat the game."

" I know, I know I have seen it too but that was not without many to the tenth power reloads and a ridiculous amount of gameplay."

I'm sorry, what? That makes no sense. How can you say druids can't solo the game, but then immiediately say you've seen them solo the game?

Besides, no reloads of SCS have been done with every class. EVERY CLASS. The only run that hasn't yet been done was a solo druid, no re-load, SCS, Ascension, LoB difficulty run. My understanding is that its the ascension part that screws it up.
    I am talking vanilla not SCS, I don’t know if there is a difference because I have never played SCS. Yes I have seen someone with a Totemic Druid finish the game, just reloading it til they got the first fight perfect, save and do it again. Reading what they wrote it took thousands of reloads and more hours that anyone would ever want to spend. In my opinion that is not beating the game, it is giving rocks lessons in being stubborn(no insult, I was impressed) and playing each save until the stars line up, the gods themselves start to root for you, Elminster shoots a super-mega Luck spell up your butt, then finally after the zillionth reload it magically happens and you get it right, then you save and do it again.

I am not saying this because I can’t do it but because I have never heard of anyone doing it. I didn’t make the claim lightly. I don’t mind being wrong, it happens with saddening regularity, but in this instance someone will have to show me.

Sorry, I did not mean to derail the thread. We now return to our regularly scheduled program.
    edited May 2020
    You’ve ruined my life @_Nightfall_ ...not because of your comments (Which are fine and welcome, this is a forum after all), but because of the use of underscores in your sig. It’s a real hassle to find them on my iPad...how could you??

I mean, really... ;)
    Dharius wrote: »
    You’ve ruined my life @_Nightfall_ ...not because of your comments (Which are fine and welcome, this is a forum after all), but because of the use of underscores in your sig. It’s a real hassle to find them on my iPad...how could you??

I mean, really... ;)

Well, when I started here it was on my XP computer. :)
    I feel bad, I really do but after all...
    Darkness comes where Nightfall goes
    ;)o:)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    If you want, I can change your username to Nightfall. Just let me know.