Skip to content

Spell synergy

kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 52
I'm specifically interested in how protection spells work with each other. If I for example have stonskin or mirror image on then cast pfmw, do my skins get used or does pfmw work as if i cant be hit?

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    If you have Protection from Magical Weapons, then getting hit won't use up your stoneskins or mirror images.
    kaja8JuliusBorisov
  • kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 52
    Perfect. Thanks.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    and if i am not wrong if pfmw is not used or you are hit by something not enchanted (like regular arrows or bolts) the mirror images are consumed first then the stone skins, that by the way are also the ones that expire later, a lot later.
    so mirror images are a good way to make your stoneskin last longer, there is a chance that the real mage takes the hit and not an image, but then the stoneskin takes the damage, mirror images are not completely safe, but as MI are at a lower level and don't last long is a good practice to cast them right before the battle while stoneskin should be often always on, to cast it right after resting is a good idea if you don't plan to do long travels.
    and PFMW, that works only to protect against enchanted weapons or ammo and last only 4 rounds is the way to go when a lot of apr is used against you or you need protection from particular enemies, both the level draining of vampires and int draining from flyers go trough a stoneskin, but with PFMW as the hit and not the damage is negated, you are completely protected from those drains.

on a side note spells like blur and improved invisibility that give ac bonuses can help the stoneskin and mirror images to last longer as more hits will be misses so will not consume skins or images.
    and SI abjuration protects your defensive buffs but improved invisibility that needs SI divination.

so all the defensive spells that protect against physical attacks work together and in synergy, what to use and what is redundant depends on the particular battle as often to use them all is way over killing.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    In the EE, mirror images function on random chance.

An effective attack rolls 1-N, where N is the number of figures (the mage and any images). A roll of 1 hits the mage, and anything else hits an image. If it hits the mage, any further defenses such as Stoneskin and resistances apply. If it hits an image, then those further defenses are ignored and the image vanishes.

Some damage effects such as area spells and ongoing poison ignore mirror images and automatically strike the mage. On-hit effects of attacks will work even if an image is hit; if a spider bite dispels an image, that spider can still inflict its poison on the mage.

Protection from Magic Weapons, the Mantle line, and other similar effects apply before any other defenses; the "Weapon Ineffective" message overrides everything else and prevents the attack from doing anything. No damage, no on-hit effects, no images or stoneskins lost.
    kaja8gorgonzolaJuliusBorisov
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Luck affects the roll for mirror images - so if you have even 1 positive luck you will never get hit by a standard attack as long as you still have any images remaining.

@Grond0 is it working with traps ?
    Not a spell, but the cloak of sewers rat form with fire shield like spells against melee combatants. The rat form gives you 90% physical dmg reduction, and bad AC so every hit from enemies they suffer fire dmg (or cold). A fighter/mage or a fighter/mage/cleric can combine it with stoneskin, armor of faith or just wield the defender of easthaven offhand to have 100% phisycal resist. Dowside is you cant cast in rat form, and the duration of the spell is not great.
    Grond0gorgonzolasemiticgoddess
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited June 2020
    Danacm wrote: »
    Luck affects the roll for mirror images - so if you have even 1 positive luck you will never get hit by a standard attack as long as you still have any images remaining.

@Grond0 is it working with traps ?

@Danacm luck does have an impact on both finding/disarming and setting traps, though it is pretty minor - see details here.
    RedRodent
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Grond0 i think that what @Danacm ask is if having luck and mirror images active you are sure that an image takes the trap damage, so if mirror images + luck are a 100% safe way to tank traps for some one that can not disable using a thief or avoid them.
    and i would say that the answer is yes, a solo mage or the mage of a thief less party can use the combo to deal with the traps.
    Grond0Danacmiosfrustration
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    @Grond0 i think that what @Danacm ask is if having luck and mirror images active you are sure that an image takes the trap damage, so if mirror images + luck are a 100% safe way to tank traps for some one that can not disable using a thief or avoid them.
    and i would say that the answer is yes, a solo mage or the mage of a thief less party can use the combo to deal with the traps.

Agreed. My reference to a standard attack in my earlier comment meant one that doesn't have a component that ignores mirror images (like explosions or spell failure).
    gorgonzolaiosfrustration
    edited June 2020
    gorgonzola wrote: »

Agreed. My reference to a standard attack in my earlier comment meant one that doesn't have a component that ignores mirror images (like explosions or spell failure).

Always learn new things after 20 years :smiley:
    Thanks !!!
    iosfrustration
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Wait, so minor sequencer should be luck+mirror image? Wow....
    iosfrustration
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Two problems with that:
    - The Luck spell only lasts three rounds.
    - You still lose mirror images when you get hit. Once the last one's down, you're fully vulnerable.

That combination essentially reverts the mirror images to their old behavior of always absorbing hits, but only for three rounds.

For better duration and a wider effect, there's the cleric's Chant spell at ten rounds (but a long casting time). I'm also not sure if it's actually luck or just something similar.
    For an indefinite source of luck, there's bard song (vanilla or blade). The vanilla bard's song even improves to +2 luck at level 15 and +3 at level 20.

On the flip side, fatigue induces negative luck. If your character is severely fatigued, don't even bother with mirror images - they won't help you at all.
    Grond0semiticgoddessgorgonzola
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I only sequence under pressure so for me it's fine