Skip to content

Why is Gavin missing a ring finger?

lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
edited June 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
I do not recall any scenarios from BG1 where he loses a finger... and I went to the temple of lathander each time he was called for a quest. I met his sister at cloakwood one time, his family at Ulgoth before and after doing the quests. How much quest content have I missed out on? I don't want to go back and redo it all again, I just want to be told. I only just remembered Gavin looking around Beregost for some abductors I think, and... I remember a locked door that could not be picked, but was unlocked by the "knock" spell. Was I expected to do something else? And if it that is what Gavin lost the finger for, I am a bit sad that the EET playthrough is unaware of this bit of continuity.

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    The missing ring finger is romance content. What reply option did you choce when you met him the first time in BGII? Depending on that, the happenings of BG1 are assumed. That should also apply to whether he lost a finger or not.
    lollers wrote: »
    And if it that is what Gavin lost the finger for, I am a bit sad that the EET playthrough is unaware of this bit of continuity.
    Double post: I tried making it continuos story-wise, but... I gave up after fiddling with it for over a day. The checking and setting of varables for all the things berelinde accounted for in BGII is too complex to just let is flow, as BGII uses different variable names than BG1 so they'd have to be set by script.

• lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    edited June 2020
    Well I'm going through EET for the first time right now, and I don't see what its for. I moved around the old area during siege of dragonspear a couple of times just for no reason, and I don't know why I bothered. I understand the idea was real popular before the enhanced editions when people wanted to upgrade BG1 with the modernized BG2, but I think that is no longer needed.
    jastey wrote: »
    The missing ring finger is romance content. What reply option did you choce when you met him the first time in BGII? Depending on that, the happenings of BG1 are assumed. That should also apply to whether he lost a finger or not.

Well in that case, why did that scenario not happen in BG1? Did I miss something? Can things go terribly wrong if I hack his character from cleric of lathander to cleric/mage, or if I undo the maiming of his hand?

In BGII Gavin, he only gets the maimed hand, when the player chose the following reply option in Irenicus Dungeon upon finding Gavin's engagement ring:
    ~(You recognize the ring instantly. This was the gift Gavin gave you to seal your engagement. You wonder about the fate of another ring... the one Gavin had not wanted to part with, but had given you to win your trust.)~

And that's what happened: Gavin loses a finger in BG1 romance if the PC
    insists that he takes off the ring from his sister which is cursed so he can't take it off which makes him cut off his finger.
    You could try removing the "maimed hand" item with EE Keeper, but you also need to set the variable
    Global("B!GavFinger","GLOBAL",0) to zero not to get any references to it.
    Changing his class should be ok.
    StummvonBordwehr