Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Single Best Mod NPC? Suggestions?

In honor of BG3 news coming out recently, and current events keeping me in my apartment, I've booted my BG2EE back up and started killing my time with different permutations of the game.

The next one I want to do is what I'm calling a "maximum plot party". One consistent party (except for Imoen shenanigans, leaving space for required cameos for certain plot-lines like Valygar, Neera, or Rasaad) with a party that's either as tightly knit as I can manage, or filled with fun interactions, preferably both.

The one rule here is only one mod-introduced party member. This does not include mods that augment BG2EE characters (like Wilson, Bear Paragon or the NPC Flirt and Banter Packs). It's really hard to get good party interaction with multiple Mod NPCs, as they tend to ignore each other for the most part, but one can serve as the glue and the spice that makes everything else work.

The question is, does anyone have any suggestions on the NPC? It doesn't need to be a romanceable character, just one that adds a lot to the story and really brings a party together.

Isewein

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 850
    I'd vote for Sirene, though Kelsey and Isra would also be solid choices.

ilduderino
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 570
    Sirene or Isra would be my choices as well. It's really a tough call between them, as they are both very well done.

Isra probably has the more interesting side-quest, and she gets turn undead (though at the reduced Paladin level). She also is one of the more unique character types, exploring one of the lesser known faiths.

However, once she gets Carsomyr, Sirene becomes a siege engine all on her own - and she actually becomes a very nice NPC companion one you get through her tough shell. You do miss out on all but the most essential divine magic (she has four innate abilities), but she can tank with the best of them.

I haven taken both from BG1 to BG2 (haven't made it to ToB yet) and I now consider them essential party members.

• CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 226
    Kelsey... huh. Haven't played the old merchant mage in a long time. Long before the EE versions, that's for sure. Has there been any new content with him, or just compatibility upgrades? I might break the rule just so Imoen has someone else to tease.

I've taken both of the Paladins up to Spellhold, but not further. Both are excellent. Other ones I really liked were Sheena and Tyris Flare. Honestly, Sheena is awesome with her dragon form and would be my go-to if she weren't SoA-only and her romance didn't leave her life-linked and low CON.

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 500
    edited June 15
    Maurvir wrote: »
    However, once she gets Carsomyr, Sirene becomes a siege engine all on her own - and she actually becomes a very nice NPC companion one you get through her tough shell. You do miss out on all but the most essential divine magic (she has four innate abilities), but she can tank with the best of them

I think Sirene can use paladin spells but cannot turn undead or use ranged weapons.

https://artisans-corner.com/sirene-npc-for-bgee-and-bgsod/

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 570
    edited June 16
    In the version I have installed, her magic button is grayed out. However, she has as innate abilities Detect Evil, Dispel Magic, Protection from Evil, and True Seeing. She can't turn undead, but she can used ranged weapons - she currently has the Giant Hair Crossbow +3 equipped with a Case of Plenty +2.

That said, I believe you get a couple of options for which kit she uses. I believe I selected inquisitor instead of martyr.

Yep. When you install her you can pick any of the four kits (including generic). There's also the option of Divine Champion, which trades Spellcasting and Turn Undead for an alignment agnostic kit with divine rage and 4-pip specialization in any weapon. I think that's what I'll be doing.

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 248
    If you care most about availability through the whole trilogy, Xan and Isra should be the best candidates. Both have terrific writing, seamless integration and lots of content. In terms of maximum plot engagement, you might also want to consider some guest stars such as Xulaye or Iylos, which are tightly tied to their respective main plot sections and make them feel more involved.

ilduderino
    I don't know much about Xulaye or Iylos. Looking up on them, however, they seem to be "window" characters, only viable for a small section of the plot and frustratingly during points where there's a lot of competition.

I don't know if I'm really interested in doing the entire trilogy over yet again. BG1 is pretty dull and requires heavy modding to be interesting, while SoD is a frustrating shaggy dog story where the adventure is built on a lie, the resolution is unsatisfying, and the conclusion manages to be even more blatantly railroad-y than a pre-sequel like this would naturally require. Only saving graces SoD offers are Corwin and M'khiin, and they are not so much as mentioned in post 2.0 BG2EE. As such, I tend to just use EEKeeper to augment my BG2EE character as if I'd gone through them again (250k XP, stat boosts from the books, golden pantaloons). I might do so if the character is worth it.