Skip to content

Dual Class: Is it possible to mod it?

I was wondering whether it is possible to mod the dual class system so that you don't lose the abilities in your original class when you switch to a new class?

My problem with the system as it stands is that there is no continuity in character development it makes me feel like I am playing two different people in the same game. For example, I once played a kensai that I dualled to a thief at level nine. As a kensai she was one of my favourite characters. She only ever used a quarterstaff and went toe-to-toe with every enemy. I thought it would be fun when she became a thief because I usually enjoy playing thieves. Instead I found it incredibly frustrating. She now had to run away from everybody and use missile weapons all the time. She felt like a completely different person and pretty soon I abandoned the run.

Anyway, what I would really like is a mod that would allow me to remember my kensai abilities while embarking on a career as a thief. Would that be possible?

I'm guessing it isn't or I imagine someone would have done it already?

Comments

• borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    No idea, but you can get at least partially the same effect by EEKeepering the abilities directly.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Not that I'm aware of. I think that is just how the BGEE/IWDEE engine works.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Pretty sure that there are mods out there which allows humans to multiclass instead of dualclass. Although that still wouldn't help your Kensai problem.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Changing what races can multiclass is doable. But unless something has changed recently I don't think anything related to how dual classing works was made more moddable.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Not really. (I mean: I can dimly see how to hack it, but it would be pretty hideous.) The deactivation of former-class abilities is hardcoded.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    DavidW wrote: »
    Not really. (I mean: I can dimly see how to hack it, but it would be pretty hideous.) The deactivation of former-class abilities is hardcoded.

That's what I feared. Thanks for the replies everyone. I've got the mod that means that humans can multi-class, which is useful, but it's frustrating that there's no way to change the way dual-classing works.

The only dual-class I have played that I actually liked was when I made a character who did one level as a fighter and then switched to a thief. That allowed me to be essentially a pure class thief who could wear a helmet and so was immune to crits.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    I love low level dual classes. A dual at level 7 is painless and can be highly effective, just look at Anomen (who did not even pick up a fighter kit).