Skip to content

Dark Sun Campaign setting. - Some questions.

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
TL;DR D&D + MAD MAX.

Here is a detailed(but extremely long) video talking about Dark Sun setting. In nutshell, is a world abandoned by the Gods, where the "high level heroes" was evil, promoted cleansing and after a long story is dominated by few city states, each one dominated by powerful defiler magicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G1vep6rcCI

Magic on Athas, is different than in the rest of the D&D cosmos. You need to work with lifeforce due the fact that the world is abandoned by the Gods. So, there are two ways to work with the nature. Using Defiler magic and Preserver magic. However, many people hate both types of magic and even the evil sorcerer kings themselves don't wanna concurrency and wanna all lifeforce as spell fuel to then. Which means that magicians are severely ostracized and hated. They live hidden in Veiled Alliance and are neurotic on maintaining the alliance decentralized, hidden and are very cautious about who they take in and rely their secrets.

Some of this powerful magicians even sacrifice the humanity on his quest for power. Like for eg with Defiler's metamorphosis( Page 83 of Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas book - screen bellow). Only one guy completed all stages of that metamorphosis Borys ( https://darksun.fandom.com/wiki/Borys )

SCcGfyo.png

And most population on the city states are slaves and even for most free man, the life is harsh with a lot of hard work. Metal is scarce and most weapons, improvised from obsidian/bone/etc. Books and writting things are also extremely expensive. And a small aristocracy lives well serving the sorcerer king as templars, a "perversion" of divine magic.

Water is a rare luxury item and outside of the city states, on small villages, the difference between a rich and a poor village is that people die less from lack of water on rich villages. However, water and people to enslave made this villages very unsafe. Citizens of Athas who lives on city states needs to be subjected to a tyrannical government where every templar can declare that a person is guilty of a crime and sentence to death or slavery and bandits plagues the villages.

The unique escapism for the harsh reality of Athas is the gladiatorial combat

There are spellcasters which wanna make Athas great again(hu3hu3, just kidding) like in the past when Athas was not in this near dead state. Those are the Restarotionists. See page 59 of the book Defilers and Preservers : The wizards of Athas. There are spells which can help restoring the lifeforce of this dying planet. Like for eg, Prolific reforestation a 10th tier spell.

And there are a type of wizard which is neither preserver, nor defiler; who uses a mysterious "black" energy called shadow wizard. However, certain spells that can obscure shadows can negate his power and he mechanic wise is very similar to defiler. Page 62 of Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas

MTnwNiQ.png

bpFGqxL.png

There are 3 CRPG adaptations of Dark Sun setting
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands
  • Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager
  • Dark Sun Online : Crimson Sands

All great games.

My question.
  • Defiler's metamorphosis would work outside of athas?
  • Would a Shadow Wizard be able to use his power outside of Athas?

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I'm not aware of any other setting actually having magic work the way it did in Dark Sun, so I'm pretty sure since there are no defilers they wouldn't be able to "ascend" to the dragon form. IIRC it required attaining insane amounts of levels as a dual class human in wizard and psionicist. I don't remember the Shadow Wizards at all? Is that something they put in in the 4th Ed release? Most of what I remember was from the original edition for 2nd ed that I played as a kid.

I loved the grit of the setting, but toward the end they had started softening the setting so much with the meta plot causing the world to start it's recovery. Losing the bleekness really wrecked the setting. I think I heard they retconned it for the 4th ed release.

I loved the Halflings in the setting too, completely feral and they were the original Intelligent species to inhabit the planet.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited August 2020
    I'm not aware of any other setting actually having magic work the way it did in Dark Sun, so I'm pretty sure since there are no defilers they wouldn't be able to "ascend" to the dragon form

IMO If Borys is teleported to Faerun for eg, all of his defiler levels would be converted into normal wizard level. Another sorcerer king which begun the transformation to Dragon with defiler apotheoses would't be able to progress further unless he return to Athas HOWEVER, he will not be changed back to human.

Why I believe on it? Spells above tier 10 casted before Mystra ban still working...
    I don't remember the Shadow Wizards at all? Is that something they put in in the 4th Ed release? Most of what I remember was from the original edition for 2nd ed that I played as a kid.

As i've said, Shadow Wizards aren't from "core" dark sun book. The text which I posted talks about "spells per day" instead of at will / per encounter / per day and rolling a dice and looking into a table to see how stable the connection is with the "black" and how much spells you can prepare. This is very "anti balance above everything else", the mindset which 4e was build upon.

quoting wikipedia
    wikipedia wrote:
    Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas includes a comprehensive listing of every spell available to the wizards of Athas, drawn from the second edition Player's Handbook,(...) The book includes 13 new character kits for the wizard class, including the shadow wizards who draw from a new source of energy - a realm of chill darkness known only as The Black.[1] Full rules are detailed for the transformation of 20th level wizards to 21st level dragons, or avangions for good-aligned characters, both of which also have psionic powers.[1] Defilers and Preservers also adds 13 new proficiencies and 61 new spells, as well as 10th level reality-altering psionic enchantments.[1]

220px-Defilers_and_Preservers%2C_The_Wizards_of_Athas.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defilers_and_Preservers:_The_Wizards_of_Athas
    The book itself bring tons of kits. On chapter 3 - part of summary
    uM4Ydcn.png

EDIT : Only I don't wanna Dark Sun for 5e D&D?
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Dark Sun is one of my all-time favourite D&D settings. :D I personally don't think that "starting Athas on the road to recovery" was such a deal-breaker though; it would be an immense project taking hundreds of generations to fully complete, and there was always the chance that another Rajaat or Borys could come along and derail the recovery again.

As for SorcererViktor's questions:

1. Since magic in Athas essentially works using the life force of living creatures, I see no reason why the Defiler Metamorphosis (or even Defiler magic in general) would not work outside of Athas. They are simply drawing their magic from an alternate source (probably soul energy). In theory, a defiler could even teach his particular brand of magic to native spellcasters from other worlds, and then bring the scourge of Defiler Magic to fresh planets.

2. Likewise, it sounds like the Black is simply another name for the Plane of Shadow (or the Shadowfell, in later editions), which does exist on other worlds. (The Shadow Weave in Faerun, for example, is well known as the source of power for the Shadovar, the corrupted remnants of the ancient civilisation of Netheril. It was also a key plot point in the NWN2 OC.) As such, I also see no reason why Shadow Wizards could not continue to cast their unique brand of magic on any other world that also has access to the Plane of Shadow.
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Dark Sun is one of my all-time favourite D&D settings. :D I personally don't think that "starting Athas on the road to recovery" was such a deal-breaker though; it would be an immense project taking hundreds of generations to fully complete, and there was always the chance that another Rajaat or Borys could come along and derail the recovery again.(...)

I can picture a preserver managing to restore a PART of Athas. And after he created this piece of paradise in a hell, a lot of things will happens. For eg, if you created a small city with a lot of water, colder temperature, and no tyranny, everyone who is oppressed by the sorcerer kings and the alternative is the lawless desert area, would try to move to your city. So would you keep it a secret? What if the city now is flooded by freed slaves and workers fleeing the sorcerer king?

It could make the player do harsh decisions. For eg - they created a Oasis, walls(...) and now, Templars from the nearst town appears with a letter from the sorcerer king saying that they are in sorcerer's king lands and needs to pay "protection money", other day, a noble appears claiming that you are hidding his runway slaves and demands to "inspect" the city or worse, monetary compensation... After teh place develops more, maybe a templar will appear and demand that you allow the construction of a "operation base" and if you refuse, the sorcerer king attacks. If accept, he after few weeks starts to accuse random people of crimes and sentence then to slavery.

Trying to make a paradise in this tyrannical hellhole would be a pretty good campaing IMO. Mainly for mid to high levels.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited August 2020
    From what I understand of how the different worlds work in DnD- no, most unique features of Dark Sun magic would not apply off the planet of Athas. If fact, magic in Athas is generally more powerful than magic found elsewhere- mages in Athas were able to erect some sort of Spelljammer barrier that makes travel to Athas from off planet extremely difficult, if not impossible. No other planet has mages capable of doing this.

There is a planescape sourcebook that covers a lot of this.
    I can picture a preserver managing to restore a PART of Athas. And after he created this piece of paradise in a hell, a lot of things will happens. For eg, if you created a small city with a lot of water, colder temperature, and no tyranny, everyone who is oppressed by the sorcerer kings and the alternative is the lawless desert area, would try to move to your city. So would you keep it a secret? What if the city now is flooded by freed slaves and workers fleeing the sorcerer king?

There was a campaign in Dark Sun that dealt with the overthrow of the sorcerer-king of Tyr and the transition of the city into a democratic form of leadership. I feel like this could have been the eventually consequence of that, preservers trying to restore the land around.
    edited August 2020
    (...) No other planet has mages capable of doing this.(...)

Netheril's Proctiv's Breach Crystal sphere and Mavin's Worldweave are IMO above what any Athas sorcerer king can do. Keep in mind that sorcerers kings are defilers which progress far faster than preservers and takes half of the time to prepare/attune spells... Is a great power at lifeforce sacrifice.

Borys is 30th level. Karsus is 40th level. The strongest Netherise is far stronger than the strongest sorcerer king.
    I'm not aware of any other setting actually having magic work the way it did in Dark Sun, so I'm pretty sure since there are no defilers they wouldn't be able to "ascend" to the dragon form

IMO If Borys is teleported to Faerun for eg, all of his defiler levels would be converted into normal wizard level. Another sorcerer king which begun the transformation to Dragon with defiler apotheoses would't be able to progress further unless he return to Athas HOWEVER, he will not be changed back to human.

Why I believe on it? Spells above tier 10 casted before Mystra ban still working...
    I don't remember the Shadow Wizards at all? Is that something they put in in the 4th Ed release? Most of what I remember was from the original edition for 2nd ed that I played as a kid.

As i've said, Shadow Wizards aren't from "core" dark sun book. The text which I posted talks about "spells per day" instead of at will / per encounter / per day and rolling a dice and looking into a table to see how stable the connection is with the "black" and how much spells you can prepare. This is very "anti balance above everything else", the mindset which 4e was build upon.

quoting wikipedia
    wikipedia wrote:
    Defilers and Preservers: The Wizards of Athas includes a comprehensive listing of every spell available to the wizards of Athas, drawn from the second edition Player's Handbook,(...) The book includes 13 new character kits for the wizard class, including the shadow wizards who draw from a new source of energy - a realm of chill darkness known only as The Black.[1] Full rules are detailed for the transformation of 20th level wizards to 21st level dragons, or avangions for good-aligned characters, both of which also have psionic powers.[1] Defilers and Preservers also adds 13 new proficiencies and 61 new spells, as well as 10th level reality-altering psionic enchantments.[1]

220px-Defilers_and_Preservers%2C_The_Wizards_of_Athas.jpg
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defilers_and_Preservers:_The_Wizards_of_Athas
    The book itself bring tons of kits. On chapter 3 - part of summary
    uM4Ydcn.png

EDIT : Only I don't wanna Dark Sun for 5e D&D?

I still don't buy the absolute unique transformation taking place on another world. It was mix of both magic and psionics that let them turn into a dragon and replicating that, even on Athas was nigh impossible. Also other worlds have naturally occurring dragons, whereas Athas only had the one that managed to ascend all the way, so not sure how that'd go. Sure powerful level 10 spells stuck around while Mystra was out of action, but most magic in general just failed. At any rate, it'd be completely up to the DM running the game. As @WarChiefZeke mentioned, the world of Athas was locked away from other worlds and planes, making travel between them immensely difficult, if not impossible, so a wizard getting off world seems very unlikely and most would have no reason to suspect there's even other worlds in the first place. I don't recall what the reason for this was, though. At some point, there were Gods that abandoned the world, maybe they locked it away or perhaps Rajaat or the Dragon of Tyr did some crazy high level magic/psionics that sealed the realm off.

I only caught a bit of the revised era stuff, so missed the Defilers and Preservers book. I wasn't that much of a fan of the changes to the setting and meta plot.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858

Netheril's Proctiv's Breach Crystal sphere and Mavin's Worldweave are IMO above what any Athas sorcerer king can do. Keep in mind that sorcerers kings are defilers which progress far faster than preservers and takes half of the time to prepare/attune spells... Is a great power at lifeforce sacrifice.

Borys is 30th level. Karsus is 40th level. The strongest Netherise is far stronger than the strongest sorcerer king.

Don't Athasian Dragons have 50 character levels (20/20/10)?
    Pokota wrote: »

Don't Athasian Dragons have 50 character levels (20/20/10)?

I think that was to complete the transformation. Under the 2nd ed rules it went something like a human had to dual class and have 20 levels of defiler and 20 levels of psionicist, then they could start the transformation. It was only completed once they'd gotten 10 levels of the dragon class or whatever it was called. So some of the sorcerer kings were supposed to have already completed the requirements and had a few levels in the dragon class, IIRC Hamanu had some of the dragon levels, but hadn't completed the full transformation. There was a good preserver equivalent, too. In the meta plot and novels a half elf managed to start the transformation.
    edited August 2020
    I prefer to not put the full text of Dragon apotheoses/Defiler metamorphosis due copyright concerns put the page 83 of the book Defiler and Preservers describes only defiler class level requirement. Not psionics requirements. And the unique class requirement shown is that the caster needs to be a defiler. You also don't level as a dragon, instead has a low/mid/high/final "steps" which you can take once per level after 20. You need to do complex rituals each lv up and there are a risk of a "shock" which can kill you.

The preserver eqquivalent is called Avangion.

And DrHappyAngry, what changes they did to the metaplot which you din't liked?

For eg, the Shadow Wizards has a very UNstable connection with their power of their source. Exactly because Athas is far alway from anything, including this plane of infinite darkness.
    I prefer to not put the full text of Dragon apotheoses/Defiler metamorphosis due copyright concerns put the page 83 of the book Defiler and Preservers describes only defiler class level requirement. Not psionics requirements. And the unique class requirement shown is that the caster needs to be a defiler. You also don't level as a dragon, instead has a low/mid/high/final "steps" which you can take once per level after 20. You need to do complex rituals each lv up and there are a risk of a "shock" which can kill you.

For eg, the Shadow Wizards has a very UNstable connection with their power of their source. Exactly because Athas is far alway from anything, including this plane of infinite darkness.

That's what it was Avangion. Been forever since I looked at it.

Overall I just felt that the world in recovery with water starting to become more readily available spoiled the setting and made it less brutal. The killing of the Dragon of Tyr never sat well with me and left a gaping hole in the world. You do find out the dragon served a purpose, but still, it just made the setting less interesting to play in by taking the Dragon away. The novels made for decent stories in the setting, but they kind of wrecked the setting by fixing everything in it that made it unique and interesting.

I know some edition had it as a dual defiler psionicist with dragon being some of the levels. Maybe it was a difference between revised an the original? I've got the PDFs so if I have time I'll see if I can figure out where that was from. I think the way I described it was in the original run of the game, though, and what you're referencing was from the revised edition. The original edition is what I actually played in table top, but I read novels back in the '90s which had the meta plot that went from the original to revised edition. I've only glanced at some of the revised stuff and never looked at the 4th ed version of it.
    Found it in the Dragon Kings book.
    Extremely powerful (20th-level) human and half-elven defiler/psionicists
    can progress to even greater power if they choose to transform themselves
    into dragon form.

Pretty much the same for Avangion, but preserver.
    edited August 2020

That's what it was Avangion. Been forever since I looked at it.

Overall I just felt that the world in recovery with water starting to become more readily available spoiled the setting and made it less brutal. The killing of the Dragon of Tyr never sat well with me and left a gaping hole in the world. You do find out the dragon served a purpose, but still, it just made the setting less interesting to play in by taking the Dragon away. The novels made for decent stories in the setting, but they kind of wrecked the setting by fixing everything in it that made it unique and interesting.

I know some edition had it as a dual defiler psionicist with dragon being some of the levels. Maybe it was a difference between revised an the original? I've got the PDFs so if I have time I'll see if I can figure out where that was from. I think the way I described it was in the original run of the game, though, and what you're referencing was from the revised edition. The original edition is what I actually played in table top, but I read novels back in the '90s which had the meta plot that went from the original to revised edition. I've only glanced at some of the revised stuff and never looked at the 4th ed version of it.

Technically, Clerics who worship water can create water from nothing. As for water, on Athas surface, water barely exists however, in Underdark, water is not uncommon and a strong enough magician can technically open a portal to the elemental plane of water and bring a lot of water to Athas. Underdark also has a lot of water.

As for brutality, people will revolt against sorcerer kings, will try to improve his life, more often, they will fail but eventually someone will succeed. Even in the harshest desert, a Oasis exists. And the destruction of the sorcerer king din't was consequence free. Bandits, slave merchants and other sorcerer kings saw Tyr as a city to be conquered and exploited. Not mentioning that other sorcerer kings seeing a city free can decide to make this free city an example to avoid encouraging rebelions... Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager is a amazing video game adaptation. A review bellow from a 90's game journalist. Not a modern game journalist. THAC0 would melt the average modern game journalist's brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulz9XXegXhQ

In Other words, Tyr is now a Oasis in a desert. And Athas still beyond salvation. Lets suppose that somehow you defeat all sorcerer kings. Rajaat will be free and the cycle will repeat.

And Athas still separated from the cosmos. All that remains in the afterlife is the plane of grey or the black if you are a shadow magician. You will not ascend to mount Celestia, doesn't matter how lawful good and heroic you are.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    IIRC correctly though, Rajaat is dead. He was slain by Tithian and Sadira (who realized that freeing Rajaat would be even worse for Athas, as horrid a hellhole the planet currently was) at the conclusion of the Prism Pentad by Troy Denning, and Tithian attempted to usurp Rajaat's power, but he proved incapable of controlling it and instead transformed into the Cerulean Storm, an eternal rainstorm out in the Sea of Silt. This was early in the Dark Sun mythos, however, so I'm not sure what, if any, events in Athas took place in subsequent editions that might have changed or reversed these events.
    Ya the novels and metaplot had Rajaat killed. The city state of Tyr becoming more egalitarian made the region more boring. Sure there were external threats of invasion, the dragon, Rajaat, but they all got dealt with in the metaplot, Tyr was invincible after the overthrow of it's sorcerer king which made no sense. The city states already were Oasis in the desert, that's why people had clustered around them. Tyr was the Mary Sue of city states.

In the revised ed, I did see they modified the create water spell to only produce a half gallon/level to cut back on the abuse of it.
    (...)he city states already were Oasis in the desert, that's why people had clustered around them. Tyr was the Mary Sue of city states.(...)

Oasis in the desert? Over half of the population as slaves with any templar able sentence anyone bellow him to slavery, an extremely corrupt system, tyrannical sorcerer kings monopolizing magic and heavy controlling the usage of psionics and any decent weaponry, doing experiences on humans and creating muls and half giants. And after DECADES living in this hell, all that is left is a endless void on "the grey".

Seriously. Athas, even in city states makes the Abyss looks like a Paradise. And believe or not, is easier to escape Abyss than Athas.

However, would be more interesting if Tyr is plundered to the ground by other sorcerer kings wanting more discouragement against rebellions, getting knowledge and materials from Tyr and after it, all left from Tyr is few underground veiled alliance hidden headquarters.
    (...)he city states already were Oasis in the desert, that's why people had clustered around them. Tyr was the Mary Sue of city states.(...)

Oasis in the desert? Over half of the population as slaves with any templar able sentence anyone bellow him to slavery, an extremely corrupt system, tyrannical sorcerer kings monopolizing magic and heavy controlling the usage of psionics and any decent weaponry, doing experiences on humans and creating muls and half giants. And after DECADES living in this hell, all that is left is a endless void on "the grey".

Seriously. Athas, even in city states makes the Abyss looks like a Paradise. And believe or not, is easier to escape Abyss than Athas.

However, would be more interesting if Tyr is plundered to the ground by other sorcerer kings wanting more discouragement against rebellions, getting knowledge and materials from Tyr and after it, all left from Tyr is few underground veiled alliance hidden headquarters.

It's better than dying in the wastes. Sure, slavery sucks, but to a lot of people it's preferable to death. The city states were near the few stable sources of water and away from the more dangerous elements in the setting. You could be eaten by halflings on Athas. There was a waste in the south with lots of undead. Thri-Kreen roamed in tribes and would be willing to eat people too. Even the Elves ran across the wastes were as likely to rob and murder you as trade with you. By making Tyr the relatively perfect place to be, it took away one of the biggest choices in the setting. Do you give up freedom for saftey or do you throw it all away and risk it all for some limited amount of freedom scratching out a barely livable existence in the desert.

It's better than dying in the wastes. Sure, slavery sucks, but to a lot of people it's preferable to death. The city states were near the few stable sources of water and away from the more dangerous elements in the setting. You could be eaten by halflings on Athas. There was a waste in the south with lots of undead. Thri-Kreen roamed in tribes and would be willing to eat people too. Even the Elves ran across the wastes were as likely to rob and murder you as trade with you. By making Tyr the relatively perfect place to be, it took away one of the biggest choices in the setting. Do you give up freedom for saftey or do you throw it all away and risk it all for some limited amount of freedom scratching out a barely livable existence in the desert.

Looking to this point, even the new magical kits on Athas kinda mess with the metaplot and this dilemma...

I mean, while normal Defilers and Preservers needs the nature, Shadow Wizards and Necromancers(Not the mage specialization, the kit on page 64 of Defilers and Preservers book) only needs the Grey/Black to access his power. And undeads on south aren't a problem for necromancer mainly a mid to high level one. In fact, undead workers with way less risk of breaking free would be better than slaves to work and require no water to be maintained. Shadow Wizards become "half shadows" at lv 10, when 50% of his body is shadow.
    The problem is undead couldn't be sacrificed to the dragon during it's heyday and can't be used to progress along the path of the dragon the sorcerer kings are on. The sacrifices to the dragon were to keep Rajaat imprisoned, so throughout the majority of the city states existence the sacrifices were necessary. So they needed viable living populations that could support the population growth needed for the massive sacrifices. Not too mention, undead make for boring servants.

There are free willed undead too. Any dwarf that died without fulfilling his focus became a really nasty undead.
    I din't said undeads to do everything. Only using UNintelligent undead on mining, construction, production lines, etc. As for undead making boring servants, I strongly disagree. On Ravenloft, Strahd has a lot of vampire brides and Meredoth uses a lot of construct and undead slaves on his realm of dread.

Be a vampire in Dark Sun would be a nightmare, The strong sun would probably kill even a epic level ancient vampire in matter of seconds and most counters to sunlight like control weather doesn't work well on Athas. But other types of undead like mummies doesn't have this problem.

Unintelligent undead is also soulless. So you are not inflicting pain on then.

But DRHappyAngry, did you played Dark Sun : Wake of The Ravager? The game starts on Tyr after the death of the sorcerer king and is amazing.
    I din't said undeads to do everything. Only using UNintelligent undead on mining, construction, production lines, etc. As for undead making boring servants, I strongly disagree. On Ravenloft, Strahd has a lot of vampire brides and Meredoth uses a lot of construct and undead slaves on his realm of dread.

Be a vampire in Dark Sun would be a nightmare, The strong sun would probably kill even a epic level ancient vampire in matter of seconds and most counters to sunlight like control weather doesn't work well on Athas. But other types of undead like mummies doesn't have this problem.

Unintelligent undead is also soulless. So you are not inflicting pain on then.

But DRHappyAngry, did you played Dark Sun : Wake of The Ravager? The game starts on Tyr after the death of the sorcerer king and is amazing.

IIRC, there weren't any vampires on Dark Sun. I don't recall mummies either, but maybe they're around. I mainly meant the fact a lot of the Sorcerer Kings are really into the gladiator games.

I always wanted to play the PC games and only got to play a bit of them as a kid at a friend's house. Ever few years I tried running them in dos box as an adult, but the game would never save. Even the GOG version had this problem for me.
    edited August 2020
    Strange. Here when I tried to save on M$ windows, din't worked. But on Linux, worked properly using dosbox. Try to install the game on your user folder and check permissions. Maybe is read only on Linux. If not worked, post in forum and maybe someone could help you.

I just din't completed Wake of The ravager cuz I don't know what I need to do and even following teh cluebook and online walktroughs, I can't open a seal in a Volcano part.

But here is some screenshots from my rpgcodex post bellow. On spoiler https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/screenshot-thread.72409/page-1097#post-6861323
    kKSQuLz.png

5bNJ0tX.png

kvkXcqF.png

HdvnVca.png

2NNFm8O.png

II5K0mE.png

8m9GxWr.png

My half giant gladiator is ludicrous powerful. Can kill an Drake in a single round.

One correction. When I said that Shadow Wizards kinda makes the dilemma of preserver magic vs defiler which hurts the environment, I was wrong. The book states that shadow wizards can pull the energy from the black as a defiler or as a preserver. The difference is that defilers damages the environment since they pull too much energy and this negative energy leaks to the environment. While preservers loads the bare minimum energy.

My critique towards this computer games is the low level cap. Shattered Sands lv cap is 9 and Wake of the Ravager, 15. So, no Defiler metamorphosis and similar spells. Sadly.
    Where is the game installed in your Windows? If it's installed to anywhere with "Program Files" in its name then saving-in-place (as classic DOS games are wont to do) won't work.
    I've tried it in both linux and windows many times over the years and the saving never works on either.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Yeah, on some pcs you can't save darksun to program files and so you will have to change folders. The GOG version also seems to lack some game breaking glitches that can occur in Shattered Lands, but back up your save and check your inventory once in a while just in case.

There isn't any reason to single class yourself due to the level cap unless you are a Half Giant Gladiator, in which case it's worth it. Human fighter 7/thief 8/preserver 9 dual class (yes, you can triple dual in this game and in PnP) is solid till the end game. Water Druid/Psionicists can spam several different insta death spells effectively.
    My half giant gladiator can kill a ***** drake in a single round. Wake of The ravager is better IMO exactly due the high level cap. But still too low. You see NPC's on lv 18 and even LV 25 mobs. Be only able to reach lv 15 is silly. My game is ""installed"" on my user folder. I believe that a lot of people which installed on programs folder had problems with save.

My unique problem is that I can't skip the intro. So, watching the same intro 666 times become boring.
    edited August 2020
    @WarChiefZeke I don't know Wake of the Ravager well enough to know for certain, but GOG Shattered Lands is unpatched. You can still screw up spawning the final battle, you can still get A'Poss stuck forever, and so forth. Shattered Lands is still a much better play experience though, since SSI at least had time to pretend to polish it before release (unlike the charlie foxtrot that is Wake of the Ravager)

@SorcererV1ct0r Level 15 is perfectly fine, if you ask me, though if you really want to taint your game experience the cheat mode lets you get arbitrarily high levels. Just... don't expect all the spells to work.
    Pokota wrote: »
    Level 15 is perfectly fine, if you ask me, though if you really want to taint your game experience the cheat mode lets you get arbitrarily high levels. Just... don't expect all the spells to work.

How I do that? I don't know what to do in the game anymore. So I guess that I will kill everything that moves, and get XP and some high levle spells...
    You start the cheat mode by launching the game with the command 'dsun -k911' instead of with 'darksun' or 'ravager'. After that there are a few key combinations you can use. The relevant ones are Alt + T for "Raise Levels" and Alt + F4 for "Learn All Spells" (DosBOX should intercept the Alt+F4 command but no guarantees here)

I edited the dosbox_darksun2_single.conf to have the'dsun -k911 and the game is crashing...

After I changed the setting again to ravager dsun -k911, no cheat is working. Also tried "ravager -k911" and nothing...
    [ipx]
    # ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

ipx=false

[autoexec]
    # Lines in this section will be run at startup.
    # You can put your MOUNT lines here.
    @echo off
    mount c "data"
    c:
    cls
    imgmount d "game.ins" -t iso
    cls
    ravager dsun -k911
    exit