Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Help choosing last member for BG2 and ToB team

Hi,

I'm currently near the end of completing BG1EE and its expansion and starting to plan for the sequel.
Usually I play pc as a magic user but this time I went with a multiclass fighter/cleric NG, and I feel like using companions I never or rarely used. So no Viconia, Minsc or Edwin.

Companions I'm sure of
- Imoen, Jan in the meantime: even after 20 years I can't imagine a run without the little sister o:)
- Mazzy: the few times I used her before I really liked her character and kit, no idea why I dropped her, this time she will stay.
- Valygar in SoA then Saverok in ToB: I've never used any of those and they look great for having another front-liner.
- Neera: first time playing the EE but I do like her a lot, pretty funny and wild mages in a party create great moments ^^

The team seems fine as is: 2 front-liners, 1 ranged/hybrid, 1 thief, 2 magic users

I think for SoA I could take anyone and be fine with it, but I'm less sure for ToB, I feel like having only my pc for divine magic and attack oriented may be a bad idea.

So Aerie and Jaheira came to mind.
Jaheira, I'm sure she'll do find and some druids exclusive spells are great, no surprise however.
I've never played for long with Aerie so it could be a good opportunity, but with already Imoen and Neera in the party I wonder if there are enough items for 3 magic users. Or can Aerie be geared more like a cleric and still cast some mage spells?

I'd appreciate any advice on those 2 or even another idea.
Thanks for reading this far :smile:

Comments

• BertleBertle Member Posts: 37
    Between Aerie and Jaheira I would go Jaheira in terms of party balance. You've already got Imoen, Jan, and Neera, which gives you a lot of arcane magic ability in the party. Between Jaheira and Aerie, I find Jaheira to be a better melee fighter which it seems like you're looking for. Yes, you could buff Aerie with spells and use her in melee but her sucky constitution makes her a little squishy in my opinion.

That being said, if you often use Jaheira and would like to try Aerie out I think you'd do just fine. Your party of 5 above is pretty balanced as is and I don't see the 6th member being a huge factor, just extra flavor.

Also, if you're looking for a divine/melee mix, Anomen would be a good fit! I would personally lean towards him over Jaheira or Aerie from a power perspective.

kaja8Halmy
  • HalmyHalmy Member Posts: 3
    Bertle wrote: »
    Between Aerie and Jaheira I would go Jaheira in terms of party balance. You've already got Imoen, Jan, and Neera, which gives you a lot of arcane magic ability in the party. Between Jaheira and Aerie, I find Jaheira to be a better melee fighter which it seems like you're looking for. Yes, you could buff Aerie with spells and use her in melee but her sucky constitution makes her a little squishy in my opinion.

That being said, if you often use Jaheira and would like to try Aerie out I think you'd do just fine. Your party of 5 above is pretty balanced as is and I don't see the 6th member being a huge factor, just extra flavor.

Also, if you're looking for a divine/melee mix, Anomen would be a good fit! I would personally lean towards him over Jaheira or Aerie from a power perspective.

Oh right I forgot to mention Anomen, I've already done a full run before with him and he's indeed quite capable and would have been my go to character.
    However my pc is female and I have Ajantis in my BG1 party, I'm not sure I can handle Anomen affection in BG2 :p

Regarding Aerie, knowing Imoen will be my main mage (I gave her the tome of understand in BG1 for 18 int), and Neera backup mage, do you have some recommendation on how to gear her?

I've never used a mage/cleric but I was thinking
    - Elven chain mail so she can still cast, Imoen gets robe of Vecna.
    - Shield of Harmony, low strength requirements and useful immunity.
    - Any good sling
    - Mace of Disruption or why not Crom Faeyr to fix her strength issue and for some melee fun, my pc won't use it

You think it's a ok start for her?

• SixOfSpadesSixOfSpades Member Posts: 6
    The PC's Fighter/Cleric would make Anomen completely redundant, & do the same thing for Aerie's Cleric half.
    As mentioned, Imoen + Neera would make Aerie's Mage half obsolete as well. Better save her for a different party.
    Jaheira, however, is well in the clear: More Warriors are almost always welcome, she's a better fighter than Anomen, and as you say, her Druid spells make her unique (as Cernd might as well not even exist).

How familiar are you with Korgan and Keldorn? Either one of them should do well in the empty slot, or in the Valygar / Sarevok slot. I've never used Neera, but the dialogue between a Wild Mage & an Inquisitor has GOT to interesting.

Halmy
  • HalmyHalmy Member Posts: 3
    The PC's Fighter/Cleric would make Anomen completely redundant, & do the same thing for Aerie's Cleric half.
    As mentioned, Imoen + Neera would make Aerie's Mage half obsolete as well. Better save her for a different party.
    Jaheira, however, is well in the clear: More Warriors are almost always welcome, she's a better fighter than Anomen, and as you say, her Druid spells make her unique (as Cernd might as well not even exist).

How familiar are you with Korgan and Keldorn? Either one of them should do well in the empty slot, or in the Valygar / Sarevok slot. I've never used Neera, but the dialogue between a Wild Mage & an Inquisitor has GOT to interesting.

That's really a good point about about Aerie, it will probably be better to take her another time when I do a run with Minsc if I want to appreciate her character and what she brings to the party.

I've already played with Keldorn a couple times before and really liked him, but resisting using Carsomyr is too hard for me when playing with a paladin in the party and I feel like trying new weapons too.

Korgan could be fun though but being CE I'm afraid it will be difficult to manage in good/neutral party, maybe like Aerie better for another run.

I guess Jaheira it is, she does make the most sense to balance the party.
    Thanks for the input :smile:

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 6,298
    Cernd would be a worthy addition if you really want to try something different. He can tank almost as well as Jaheira when a werewolf and becomes a super-powerful druid spellcaster late in SoA or beginning of ToB. He gets a bad rap because he's a terrible daddy, but that doesn't mean he's not good in a party...

• Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 61
    Keldorn maybe or you can keep Jan. He is the one I can't live without in Baldur's Gate II as Hexxat is laughable as a thief, even though it would be nice to have a NPC you can afford to get killed from time to time, but that handcuffs you to being an evil party if you go for the more difficult settings. And I love to set traps. I also have a certain love for Korgan due to how useful he is as a battlerager which makes a lot of stuff much easier to handle, just be careful about the reputation.

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,700
    I would recommend Aerie. Why? Cause there's nothing like too many mages!

Mage gang unite!

HalmyZaxares
  • ShravanPShravanP Member Posts: 7
    I agree that Aerie is a better fit here. You already have 3 frontliners: Charname F/C, Sarevok / Valygar, and Mazzy. Aerie rounds out your partly really nicely here and can be the best support character in existence.

• vishvish Member Posts: 49
    I personally love Jan. He's got the best NPC kit in the game and his banters+audio are really good. I always ditch Imoen for Jan. Aerie is a solid pickup. She's quite the liability throughout the entire game with her low Constitution, but if you can protect your backline well she'll do just fine. Even on the lower difficulties she can get into trouble quick. You also always need a dedicated healer IMO. Aerie isn't the best but she'll do.

Between Imoen and Neera AND Aerie, yes, there are plenty of magic items to split among them. Neera gets great use out of those nice Wild Mage items, Imoen gets maybe a tankier armor like the elven chain mails, and Aerie gets the Robe of Vecna. You'll need to split up the accessories wisely, but there are plenty of Time Stop, ADHW, and other must have high level scrolls available for all to have.

My teams vary, but the one thing I never go without is a Cleric/Mage. They're just too valuable to pass up. They offer a ton of utility and count as two party members in my book.

In terms of evilness vs goodness... I found it doesn't really matter. Evil NPCs like Korgan don't really have a problem with you doing good things. Just don't let your reputation get above 16, I think is the trigger. Korgan is also a BEAST, probably the 2nd best NPC behind Jan. He's another one I don't like leaving behind. Great audio, banters, and who doesn't love a surly dwarf?

Oswald81
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 61
    vish wrote: »
    I personally love Jan. He's got the best NPC kit in the game and his banters+audio are really good. I always ditch Imoen for Jan. Aerie is a solid pickup. She's quite the liability throughout the entire game with her low Constitution, but if you can protect your backline well she'll do just fine. Even on the lower difficulties she can get into trouble quick. You also always need a dedicated healer IMO. Aerie isn't the best but she'll do.

Between Imoen and Neera AND Aerie, yes, there are plenty of magic items to split among them. Neera gets great use out of those nice Wild Mage items, Imoen gets maybe a tankier armor like the elven chain mails, and Aerie gets the Robe of Vecna. You'll need to split up the accessories wisely, but there are plenty of Time Stop, ADHW, and other must have high level scrolls available for all to have.

My teams vary, but the one thing I never go without is a Cleric/Mage. They're just too valuable to pass up. They offer a ton of utility and count as two party members in my book.

In terms of evilness vs goodness... I found it doesn't really matter. Evil NPCs like Korgan don't really have a problem with you doing good things. Just don't let your reputation get above 16, I think is the trigger. Korgan is also a BEAST, probably the 2nd best NPC behind Jan. He's another one I don't like leaving behind. Great audio, banters, and who doesn't love a surly dwarf?

The trigger is 19, and Korgan say bye-bye. But he won't come back if your reputation is above 16 I think if you dismiss him or get him imprisoned or whatever.

• AerieAerie Member Posts: 210
    Don't take me like others are saying.

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 1,006
    Evil party members generally leave permanently at 19+ rep in SoA. In ToB, they don't; only Dorn actually leaves at high rep.

Korgan doesn't have any special reputation requirements to come back after being kicked out, but you do have to pay him 500 gold each time you bring him back in SoA. He is a mercenary, after all.