Skip to content

Any sense of ETA for 2.6?

2»

Comments

• MiraStastnyMiraStastny Member Posts: 813
    Beamdog certainly had their share of blame in creating the PR nightmare that followed the launch of SoD. The issue was overblown and review bombing was undeserved, but Oster's response and eventual backtracking were pretty bad.

On the whole, I enjoyed SoD, but I felt that expansion or IWD like type of RPG is pretty much Beamdog's ceiling.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Mirak With how the Beamdog/WotC relationship has gone, they probably backtracked due to pressure from WotC.
    Probably, but they also got some flak from the transgender users on this forum, who weren't exactly thrilled that they're represented by shallow token character.

But even the initial response and failure to immediately recognize potential PR disaster was just a poor handling of the matter.
    Mirak wrote: »
    Probably, but they also got some flak from the transgender users on this forum, who weren't exactly thrilled that they're represented by shallow token character.

But even the initial response and failure to immediately recognize potential PR disaster was just a poor handling of the matter.

I was here for that. And as I recall, there were non-transgender people acting like they were offended FOR transgender people. I don't recall any of the (openly) transgender forumites complaining about it. It was just another misdirect by people who were mad that anything transgender dare exist in a game series they were nostalgic for, but knew coming out and saying it would invite criticism.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    and the sad thing is the person that caused the whole situation no longer works for beamdog. but the damage was done beamdog's reputation is ruined. when pst ee and nwn ee were beng made so many people were asking if they had ruined them like they did sod despite beamdog not adding anything.

so from the public view beadog can't be trusted to make games anymore thanks to the drama of sod .
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Mirak wrote: »

I was here for that. And as I recall, there were non-transgender people acting like they were offended FOR transgender people. I don't recall any of the (openly) transgender forumites complaining about it. It was just another misdirect by people who were mad that anything transgender dare exist in a game series they were nostalgic for, but knew coming out and saying it would invite criticism.

Oh? And how did they find about them not being transgender?

Nevertheless, I'm kinda in the middle on this. Feels like review bombers AND perpetual Beamdog apologists oversimply the issue one way or the other. Not every critisism was directed at transgender character being in the BG, but rather at the blatant tokenism. I mean, if I'm going to do this, why not do it right and make a companion (instead, let's say umpteenth iteration of eccentric gnome)? That being said, it certainly didn't warrant review bombing of any kind and pretending it somehow ruined your whole experience is just hippocritical.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Really looking forward to this.
    @Mirak Meh, they had more to them than most BG1 npcs, which SoD was an expansion of. So saying they were too shallow is kinda silly.We're getting offtopic anyway.
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    edited October 2020
    megamike15 wrote: »
    and the sad thing is the person that caused the whole situation no longer works for beamdog. but the damage was done beamdog's reputation is ruined. when pst ee and nwn ee were beng made so many people were asking if they had ruined them like they did sod despite beamdog not adding anything.

so from the public view beadog can't be trusted to make games anymore thanks to the drama of sod .

So the GamerGate goon swarm had nothing to do with SoD either? GTFO.

And I assure you, WotC has no sympathy whatsoever with the people that were review bombing SoD. Whether you like it or not, WotC is making an effort to be more much inclusive than TSR ever dreamed of being.

This thread is drifting away from 2.6 and relitigating SoD (which was an amazing game) I would expect moderators to be locking this soon, at this rate.
This discussion has been closed.