Skip to content

"SPIN920.spl: read out of bounds"

Can anyone tell me what this error message is and how to fix it?

Thanks, CT

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,079
    That error happens when you use a read function like READ_BYTE or READ_ASCII and the offset you're reading at is larger than the size of the file.

This is the most annoying WeiDU error because it can sometimes get triggered by WeiDU's built-in functions.

Are you getting this error while installing someone else's mod, or is it a mod you made?

Look in the mod's tp2 file and search for the text:
    SPIN920.spl
    It's possible the mod is trying to edit that particular file and getting the error. If that's the case, then delete that part of the mod's code that tries to edit SPIN920.spl.

If that doesn't work, it's also possible the mod is modifying all spells with a command like this:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP ~.*\.spl~ ~override~

Search the tp2 file for:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP

and delete the code associated with it if it is modifying SPIN920.spl.
  • Wow thanks. It's Sword Coast Stratagems. I am trying to "Initialize AI Components" so I can select AI options.
  • OlvynChuru wrote: »
    That error happens when you use a read function like READ_BYTE or READ_ASCII and the offset you're reading at is larger than the size of the file.

Look in the mod's tp2 file and search for the text:
    SPIN920.spl
    It's possible the mod is trying to edit that particular file and getting the error. If that's the case, then delete that part of the mod's code that tries to edit SPIN920.spl.

If that doesn't work, it's also possible the mod is modifying all spells with a command like this:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP ~.*\.spl~ ~override~

Search the tp2 file for:

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP

and delete the code associated with it if it is modifying SPIN920.spl.

I've word searched the tp2 file. Can't find either of those. Thanks for trying to help me. I've gotten this error the last two times I tried to load this component of SCS. I actually wiped my install a couple of days ago and started over and got the same error again. The rest of SCS has installed fine, it's just AI components. CT
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,872
    SPIN920 ... a Minor Spell Turning variant, labeled by the game as BEHOLDER_SPELL_TURNING. What uses it? Elder Orbs and Spectators, if you don't also install the component for improved beholders.

I don't see any functional differences between the standard version and the modded version; SCS just removes some redundant copies of an effect that adds stars in spell turning proficiency. This bit of nonsense is a marker effect to help decide whether the AI will decide to target the affected creature with certain spells.

So basically, the mod install process is getting hung up on something that doesn't matter at all.

As for where this change is in the many script files SCS has ... I looked. I didn't find it.
  • jmerry wrote: »
    SPIN920 ... a Minor Spell Turning variant, labeled by the game as BEHOLDER_SPELL_TURNING. What uses it? Elder Orbs and Spectators, if you don't also install the component for improved beholders.

I don't see any functional differences between the standard version and the modded version; SCS just removes some redundant copies of an effect that adds stars in spell turning proficiency. This bit of nonsense is a marker effect to help decide whether the AI will decide to target the affected creature with certain spells.

So basically, the mod install process is getting hung up on something that doesn't matter at all.

As for where this change is in the many script files SCS has ... I looked. I didn't find it.

Thank you for your response. I can't find anything about SPIN920 anywhere in the tp2, and specifically in the area where it's hanging up. If it was something I where I could just delete a line, or type something in, I could get around it but I can't even pinpoint it. Here's some screenshots of what I am looking at.

groj9c022dio.png

ub8b8hwa68se.png

ixpabl32za7k.png

Thanks again for replying. CT