Skip to content

How to 'Flee Combat' in Temple of Elemental Evil?

lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22
Hello. I've been playing TOEE for a while.

However, I just couldn't figure out how to FLEE COMBAT in the game.

I've googled it myself, and they say "When you see blue ladder icon, you can flee combat"

However, even if I see blue ladder icon, it says flee combat is 'Invalid Action'.

https://youtu.be/m99tgi0qmqg - This is me, playing TOEE. Tried to Flee Combat but couldn't.

How do I flee combat?

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    ToEE, good choice.

Speculating here, but it may be because you are in someones house. IIRC, fleeing from combat usually takes you to the entrance of the dungeon you are in. There may have no set point to where you can flee to in Hommlet.

I seem to recall there being an option to inflict non-lethal damage, if you don't want to kill the folks you are in combat with.

Also, soloing? Now that will be a challenge. Let us know if you can do it.

• lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22
    ToEE, good choice.

Speculating here, but it may be because you are in someones house. IIRC, fleeing from combat usually takes you to the entrance of the dungeon you are in. There may have no set point to where you can flee to in Hommlet.

I seem to recall there being an option to inflict non-lethal damage, if you don't want to kill the folks you are in combat with.

Also, soloing? Now that will be a challenge. Let us know if you can do it.

I just tried to do exactly same thing this person did: https://youtu.be/2mwxdK01U94?t=750

However, he/she did manage to flee combat from the same situation of mine.

Furthermore, I've tested if I could flee combat in other locations, I could flee combat when I was in Temple Dungeon, but I couldn't when I was fighting in Welcome Wench Inn or Moathouse.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    It could be a bug. The original game was notoriously buggy. You might want to get the Temple+ and/or the Circle of Eight mods. Those fixed a lot of the issues.
  • lazynomore52lazynomore52 Member Posts: 22
    m7600 wrote: »
    It could be a bug. The original game was notoriously buggy. You might want to get the Temple+ and/or the Circle of Eight mods. Those fixed a lot of the issues.

Forgot to mention it, I'm using both mods.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    The people at Co8 are gurus of ToEE. They will certainly know the answer. I believe that fleeing is impossible in towns, but I could be wrong.