Skip to content

Compatibility with CrossOver Games

Hey all,

Can anyone confirm whether or not the enhanced edition is compatibile with CXG? Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Korevas

Comments

• DrakeloreDrakelore Member Posts: 36
    I tried to get BGEE to work with Wineskins created by The Porting Team for BG and BG2. It didn't work. Then I tried Crossover Games. It didn't work either. But then again i'm not that much into niether Wine nor COG.

I did try installing Windows 7 on my MBP. Guess what, didn't work. The I tried all the tricks from this forum like: copying the game content to c: and so on and so forth. NOTHING WORKS... oh sorry.. I got carried away.
  • hmleehmlee Member Posts: 5
    I installed it with Crossover and it starts up. Will try playing it and let you know how the performance is on my admittedly shitty 5 year old Macbook.
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    I'm on a mid-2010 MBP with iOS 10.6.8 so if you have some success I might also. I have BGII w/ ToB and Icewind Dale 2 working just fine on CrossOver but I'm not sure about BG:EE. I contacted an employee at Beamdog and they said I might need to install the ".NET" first. I'm assuming that's the installer? Either way let me know how it works out for you.

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @Koreveas .Net is a Microsoft framework some apps need. You can install this from within Crossover. Go to install software... and search for .Net
  • hmleehmlee Member Posts: 5
    Sooo it installs and runs just fine in Crossover. But it suffers from the same OpenGL based issues that windows PCs with Intel graphics cards are having. If you happen to have an intel graphics card (i'm not actually sure what the MBPs contain) then you most likely will be in the same boat as me when it comes to running it.
    Can you be more specific when you say "OpenGL based issues"? I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo and haven't had any graphical issues with BG2 (although there is a common flickering mouse cursor problem with IWD2 that was a pain in the ass to fix but I digress) aside from not being able to run the game in widescreen.

On a side note, if you're using a MBP you can click:

the Apple in the top left corner of your screen --> About this Mac --> More Info --> Hardware

to see what kind of processor and graphics card your Mac is equipped with.
  • dam23dam23 Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2012
    I'm running BGEE in Crossover *right now* and confirm it works fine.

There's an annoying graphics glitch at game start where the screen flickers white, but when you click on "baldur's gate" or any button within the game for that matter, the display becomes normal.

I fear my setup doesn't like alt-tab overmuch though, nor windowed mode.

Apart from this, the game works OK, although I'm definitely waiting for the OS X native version.

See my screenshot below:
    http://my.gd/bgee_macosx_crossover.png

Edit:
    macbook pro 13" with core i5 and intel HD 3000 graphics
  • heinhein Member Posts: 8
    Just tried installing it on my MPB with Crossover. Couldn't get it to run though. Anyone care to share how they managed? Would be very thankful.
    Actually - i haven't even been able to start the downloader. So that's the first part I guess.
    @dam23 These seem to be the exact same issues (although not game-breaking by any means) I experienced with BGII & ToB. I just might end up biting the bullet and running it on CXG like you for now, but if I can I would like to avoid purchasing the game twice -_- . Thanks for the response!

@hein Is it not a file you can simply download and open/install with CXG?
    @korevas17 it seems a bit more complex to me. I've tried to install it a few times but keep getting crashes.

Wondering if there are any other applications you need to install first (for the downloader). I tried with directx and .net.

Not sure, the person I contacted recommended installing with .net =/
  • DrakeloreDrakelore Member Posts: 36
    Can you guys tell me which elements you are using in your bottle that runs BGEE
    edited December 2012
    I got it to run eventually. Installed .net and directs framework on a vista bottle.

(Never did get the downloader to run on os x though.)
    @hein Which version of .Net did you install? I think im going to cave soon and just buy the PC version if the Mac version is weeks away >.<
    @korevas17 I believe it was .net 2.0 but I'm not sure.

edited December 2012
    @hein I caved. Having some issues with installation though. Did you install the .Net with the game at the same time or did you install one after the other? I keep getting errors whenever I try to install. It appears that after I install directX9 and .Net 2.0 into a bottle and then try to install BGEE the BG installer crashes. Not sure what to do =/
    Post edited by Korevas17 on
    /bump
    @korevas

Looking at crossover a second time, here's what I apparently have installed (on a win vista bottle):

Baldurs gate EE
    CrossOver HTML engine
    Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern

So, no .net framework at all as far as I can see (sorry for misinformation). I can't remember which one I installed first (and I think the HTML one came automatically), but it would seem logical to install the DirectX runtime first, so I assume I did that. But could also be the other way around.

I did try quite a few things before it worked and I think I got an error message even on the last try - which worked anyway.

@hein Still no luck here, I keep getting exception errors and crashes every time I try to install. Just about running out of options here =/ .
  • MusiKcMusiKc Member Posts: 6
    @hein
    Can you, please, provide us with any additional configuration changes in CrossOver ? What version do you use, and what's the version of MacOS ?
    I've tried installing BGEE in CrossOver several times with different options and additional programms, but still getting exception errors. Or BGEE launcher simply closes after showing icon in Dock.

I've noticed, that after BGEE launcher has been installed in bottle, setup is trying to install Framework 3.5 and installation process failes with same exception errors every time. Is there any chance to install Framework 3.5 in bottle successfully?
  • landaraslandaras Member Posts: 1
    I ran into the same problems as MusiKC last night. The process would choke on .NET Framework 3.5.

A search today reveals this page, where .NET Framework 3.5 is listed as "Known not to work" under Crossover on Mac.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=4662
    @Landaras .NET 2.0 has a bronze rating from crossover games but I haven't had any luck with that but maybe it would work for you. @dam23 seemed to have got the game up and running but unfortunately didn't specify how.
    Finally, everything works for me under Parallels..
    Doesn't that require a windows license?
    While waiting MacOS version, we can use trial versions of Parallels and Windows :)
    Sounds like alot of work considering I know next to nothing about Parallels. I've fired up Icewind Dale to hold me over until the Mac version and I've considered it $20 lost at this point =/
    Sorry about the late reply. I'm afraid I don't have any more information to give. Maybe it's something to do with hardware? I'm on a 2011 mbp if that helps (Radeon 6750m gfx card).

Have you tried looking in the install map for any other exes to run it from? Maybe there's an updater that starts automatically from the original short cut? Not sure if I changed that.

It does work very well here except for the start up menu which flickers. Disappears when you enter a game though.

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Hi hein,

What version of Crossover are you running, and what are you running for .Net 3.5 compatibility?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Okay...with Crossover 12 it now seems to work. I created an XP bottle and installed .NET 4. Then I copied the entire BGEE directory tree from another installation to the Program Files folder. Then I ran baldur.exe.

The launcher crashes, and if when I switch from full screen mode, I get a white screen and can't recover...but its progress, right?