Skip to content

Compatibility with CrossOver Games

2»

Comments

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @Cerevant "progress" in the sense that we are one day closer to the eventual Mac release ;)
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I hear you, brother!

I continue to be interested in the alternatives because I don't know if the Mac version will be windowable or task-swapable. Having played through BG several times, there aren't many spoilers left for me, so I like to follow along on Dudleyville to make sure I don't miss anything. Unfortunately, there are games on the Mac that do not let you task switch without quitting. (I'm looking at you, DAO)

Oh, and something else useless but cool to note - When you run Parallels, it links your Windows home directory to your mac home directory, so your save games and settings go into your Mac documents folder. Crossover appears to do the same thing. The effect is that I can load save games in Parallels, Crossover and likely the Mac version as well without copying files around.
  • MississippiGhostMississippiGhost Member Posts: 20
    DAO actually does support switching to windowed mode via command-enter!
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Sweet :D
  • TaigeTaige Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    I gave up waiting today and bought the PC version, since it looks like it will be after the holidays at the minimum before the Mac version is out.

Ok, trying to get this to work myself and so far its failing with CrossOver 12...

I created a new Vista Bottle called BaldursGate
    Installed Microsoft DirectX Runtime - Modern
    Installed .NET Framework 4.0 (doing this installs 2.0 also)

Then, I installed the BGEE Installer.

During the setup, I can see that it's trying to install Dot Net 3.5. It seems to be hanging at this point, as I got a new window titled "Microsoft Windows" with a message of "Please wait while Setup configures the components. This might take a few minutes." It only has a cancel button.

After waiting a few minutes with the status bar not filling in at all, I cancelled..

Installed continued, but failed at the end with a Application error. I tried copying the VMware Fusion install over too, but it also fails to launch...

I've also tried with Winery, but it doesn't work either... Guess I'll have to play under VMware Fusion, assuming it's stable...
    You need to install .NET 4 - I couldn't get 3.5 to install either. Also the launcher/installer will not run - my install only worked because I had copied the fully installed version from my Parallels install.
  • heinhein Member Posts: 8
    I think Cerevant got it right in that to run it, you need to start the baldurs.exe file directly. It would seem that running BGEE works alright, but installing it is worse.