Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Self imposed rules

PaladinsareLG9PaladinsareLG9 Member Posts: 2
I'm wondering what other players use to keep the game more interesting / challenging. I've been playing BG for (God help me) a couple of decades now but I wanted it to feel more like a PnP experience. So some of the self imposed rules I have are:

1. I play on core rules but only take random HP increases every other level. On even level ups I roll randomly and odd max. This keeps me from being overly disappointed if I get a bad roll.

2. If a companion dies but are not whacked I raise them but they are out of the game. If they have a counterpart they are also out of the game to assist in that NPC's 'recovery'.

3. 40 arrows or 60 bullets max per character. This makes me have to engage enemies close up even at low levels which is quite fun.

4. I don't swap armor around. A suit of armor fits one character only.

I've got a bunch more but want to hear from you all.

JuliusBorisovBlackravenBlackbɨrd

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 1,395
    Rather than have one consistent set of personal rules, I mix things up and play themed runs. The rules are different every time. One run, I ban all arcane and divine spellcasting. The next it's all about blasting the enemies with fireballs (so far, 24% of kills and 14% of experience come from enemies killed with fire).

That, and I play with mods that increase difficulty.

PaladinsareLG9JuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 984
    In BG1 I typically don't equip launchers of any type (bows, crossbows, etc) because I think missile weapons are hopelessly OP in that game. I don't say that to judge anyone who plays differently, I just find the game to be too much of a breeze unless I impose that restriction.

In BG2 I typically don't use insect/simulacrum spells and never use HLAs until after defeating Irenicus.

JuliusBorisovPaladinsareLG9Blackraven
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 193
    edited December 2020
    I don't use any pre-buff and walk straight to the enemy with my whole party to trigger their attack and then i react accordingly. So i get a somewhat fair fight.

Blackraven
  • ConwanConwan Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2020
    I generally try not to use multi-classes, because otherwise those are all I play. Fighter/Thief, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Cleric... Everything just becomes better with Fighter in front of it.

However, I want to try out some new class kits. Currently going through the game as a Blade (since some of y'all convinced me it's better than a Skald) and I like that I have to be more careful and think ahead. It's not just "put webs and fireballs in mage slot." I'm actually learning to use buff spells as well, which I usually just cast with a Fighter/Cleric.

Edit: I also always rewrite the biography when creating a character. That way the new Charname feels like a more unique character: having had a different upbringing.

PaladinsareLG9Blackraven
  • PaladinsareLG9PaladinsareLG9 Member Posts: 2
    Yes I definitely add my own biography to suit the CHAR I'm playing, but alignment in this game unfortunately means so little. I generally start out as NG just because I've had Gorion's moral input on my upbringing but when exposed to the real world, I act accordingly.

Conwan
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,009
    When I use self imposed rules, its for rp rather than challenge. Though challenge does often come with it.

Depending on how I've imagined the character in my head, I might:

never steal from a house
    avoid every fight possible through dialogue
    initiate every fight possible through dialogue
    turn down certain kinds of quests
    etc.

Some are more challenging than others, but the skies' the limit.

IseweinPaladinsareLG9
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 205
    -Full HP on level up, insane difficulty with damage increase on to balance. I also have a mod to give enemies their max HP.
    -No resting allowed until somebody is fatigued, except at Inns. No "rest until healed" either - time is money! Spells memorised have to last for one or more maps depending on travel times, if I can't manage I have to run back to an inn. This encourages me to use wands, scrolls, pots instead of hoarding.
    -No reload if companion gets chunked.

BlackravenPaladinsareLG9
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,221
    edited December 2020
    -core rules, accepting everything that comes with that
    -stat re-allocation, but no stat reroll
    -only reload from inns or certain safe areas when inns aren't available (i.e. start room of Candlekeep dungeon)
    -only reload on main character death, NPC permadeaths are real
    -no cheesing combat encounters: no offscreen AoE ambushing, no aggro and draw, etc.
    -mostly playing to alignment, if good/lawful no stealing even if you can get away with it
    -no abusing the XP system -- i.e. scroll XP boosting, soloing for a short term
    -playing through the areas of the game somewhat as intended, not bee-lining to some easy to get OP gear

About all I can think of now, I'm sure there's a few more.

BlackravenPaladinsareLG9
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 840
    edited December 2020
    -solo since 1998

-core and max hp on level

-no wand/scroll-heavy playstyle

-always human, no dual-classing ever

-8 hours rest only

-no cheesing that brings the game to a halt (like waiting for a gnoll to d20 drizzt)

-allowed to cheat-outline traps because they're lame as hell and i know the general locations of them all anyway

-allowed to kill tazok, semaj and angelo separately at the final fight because they and the auto-traps are unbearable when sarevok is going meatgrinder mode

-spellcaster run allowed infinite alacrity because it makes the gameplay much faster and fun. enemies cheat by sometimes having uninterruptable spellcasting anyway so this is payback

-drizzt, shandalar, albert, alectec, karoug, daer'ragh, demonknight and ithtyl calantryn must die every playthrough

BlackravenConwanPaladinsareLG9
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 93
    OCD rules: or more accurately CDO rules :)

Scrolls can only be scribed in alphabetical order

• BalladBallad Member Posts: 200
    Like someone already said, my rules depend on the Charname I am playing. Lately, I've been trying to play more in the spirit of my Charname's class and alignment. For instance, My LG Paladin Charname does not condone any stealing / pickpocketing / breaking into houses and refuses to take quests from lawless/disingenuous agents (like the thieves guild of Baldur's Gate).

In general, I feel like most people only stay true to their alignment to the extent it benefits them. As soon as going another route would yield better rewards, they're quick to make an exception. I've definitely been guilty of this as well. It can be outright painful to forgo pickpocketing the halfling in Ulgoth's for his ring of free action or gnoll-cheesing Drizzt, but when I manage not to, there's a sense of moral satisfaction I cannot quite rationalize.

• TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 45
    edited January 17
    I don't use any really strict rules right now (not a constantly repeating player like y'all anyway, so vanilla is still fun for me), but I hate cheesing fights or really doing any kind of unrealistic meta-gaming, with the one glaringly obvious exception of saving/loading a lot. :D

So for instance before I installed SCS, I would try not pre-casting anything before going into battle, because "my characters couldn't have known they were about to get into battle." I pre-cast now since enemies do the same on SCS.

No cheesing also means no abusing webs and fireballs for instance, although after having like literally a dozen unused explosive oils/potions in my potion case and 3-4 wands of fire in my inventory, I started using them much more liberally, just not via kiting and stuff. I just reached the maze at the end and still have almost a whole character's inventory full with wands... I should probably increase the game's difficulty settings further to really force me to use all that stuff. Also have tons of powerful potions left over. Same with scrolls.

No unrealistic meta-gaming also means no constant resting, especially if my character is up to an important task. E.g. I just had to make the difficult choice of resting in the maze because the fight with the greater doppelgängers and Sarevok left me quite depleted. I justified it by thinking that Sarevok probably has to rest as well!

Oh, I make an exception for thievery though. Imoen's gotta clear out every house she can find. She just can't help it. :P And for that I do abuse the fact that opening a "guarded" container then quickly exiting the room allows you to escape punishment even if you waltz right back in to do the same thing for the next container.

Blackbɨrd
  • SelerelSelerel Member Posts: 39
    I don't impose any functional or tactical rules on my party, and I always play unmodded on core rules, and I also have been playing for years and years...

I keep it interesting simply by embracing roleplaying a specific character for each runthough, and trying to metagame as little as possible. As opposed to having a specific plan for party setup or quest order, I try to just naturally follow what my character would do, only reload when charname dies,, and kind of surpise myself with what the results are.

I'll just make a new character, say a Chaotic evil Human Berserker, I'll say to myself "prideful, violent, unhinged, doesn't like to be controlled, etc. etc." (or whatever) and try to give a little bit of a backstory or motivation. That's it...2 weeks later, I'm hunting sirens with Imoen, Neera has petrified herself, I rebuffed Khalid and Jaheira, and I still haven't gone south of Beregost. Wasn't planning that, but that's just how this playthrough is going.

I'm also trying to go through the saga with every class (including most kit/dual-class combos), so it's nice to have a kinda random playthrough each time.

energisedcamel