Skip to content

Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace

m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
This was the only video game based on the Spelljammer setting. It's pretty good. Ship to ship combat is in real time, while party-based combat after boarding an enemy ship is turn-based. The latter is reminiscent of the Gold Box engine style of combat.

Here are some screenshots from a run I did a few days ago.

kdar14h08dqi.png

5qn8cspls8pr.png

2wcpx8mh7l73.png

7tgaw3keoflx.png

ytxz6bg4u7vb.png

Comments

• IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Wow, I never heard of this game before.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I always knew about this, but never tried it for fear of it being a dissapointment. It actually looks like it has potential. I think I will give it a shot. I always enjoyed Spelljammer as a setting. So different from your usual fanfare and ties together a number of separate FR worlds in a nice way.
  • m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    It's definitely not something that I would recommend to the average video game player, (it has a few bugs, the GUI might be slightly off-putting for casual fans, et.c). But for D&D fans I think it's a real treat. It gives you a good idea of the potential that the Spelljammer setting has for video games.
    For anyone who wants a crash course to the Spelljammer setting, I highly recommend Jorphdan's series on youtube, as well as his channel in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsNF9ZlMoJw
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I approve of any D&D game where you can indulge in gratuitous violence against gnomes. ;)

I'm also trying to figure out what race that creature is in the 4th screenshot. A Neogi, perhaps? They too are a famous spelljamming race, and while they have 8 limbs, it's possible the last 2 are hidden underneath those "robes" it's wearing.
    Yep, it's a neogi. Really nasty opponents in battle, and they always bring their umber hulk slaves to the fight.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Zaxares wrote: »
    I approve of any D&D game where you can indulge in gratuitous violence against gnomes. ;)

Traumatised by Arcanum, eh?
    I approve of any D&D game where you can indulge in gratuitous violence against gnomes.

But you won't hurt their giant space hamsters, right?
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    If they do Woolly Rupert will get them... And then there are the Dohwar (think Ferengi that look like penguins).

TR
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    The biggest problem of that game is the instability and ridiculous amounts of bugs. But any place legal to buy?
    The biggest problem of that game is the instability and ridiculous amounts of bugs. But any place legal to buy?

Doesn't look like it. Not even available on Amazon or a competitor.

But don't try to download it, or else you will be a Pirate of Realmspace (*ba dum tish*)
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702

Ebay, but it's pricey.
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    I personally would love a remake of this game!
    edited February 2021
    One thing that I think would be great for a remake is the possibility of traveling to other crystal spheres. So, you could start in Realmspace, then exit to the phlogiston, and from there you could go to Krynnspace, Greyspace, etc. You could also have ship to ship combat in the phlogiston, which would be extremely dangerous, since it's a highly flammable environment.

Another thing that I think would be really cool is to incorporate the manta ray Spelljammer ship, from which the setting gets its name, and which is depicted in the setting's logo. It's a living entity, and it is said to be as old as the crystal spheres themselves, it has an entire city on its back, and it never docks on any planet, it just wanders through space, seemingly without purpose. It is surrounded in legend and mystery, few have actually seen it. But it is said to have vast treasures guarded by strange creatures. The few individuals that have attempted to board it have never returned to tell the tale.
    edited February 2021
    m7600 wrote: »
    One thing that I think would be great for a remake is the possibility of traveling to other crystal spheres. So, you could start in Realmspace, then exit to the phlogiston, and from there you could go to Krynnspace, Greyspace, etc. You could also have ship to ship combat in the phlogiston, which would be extremely dangerous, since it's a highly flammable environment.

Another thing that I think would be really cool is to incorporate the manta ray Spelljammer ship, from which the setting gets its name, and which is depicted in the setting's logo. It's a living entity, and it is said to be as old as the crystal spheres themselves, it has an entire city on its back, and it never docks on any planet, it just wanders through space, seemingly without purpose. It is surrounded in legend and mystery, few have actually seen it. But it is said to have vast treasures guarded by strange creatures. The few individuals that have attempted to board it have never returned to tell the tale.

Spelljammer was such a great setting. With modern tech it could be made into a real experience in the right hands. Sadly, I have little faith in modern day game devs to treat DnD with any seriousness.