Skip to content

Unable to Launch BGEE or BGII EE in steam after updating to patch 2.6

Hello,

I recently updated to 2.6 on steam and was not able to launch the game at all or some reason. When i press play the game acts like its about to launch for a sec and then nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, same. I revert back to 2.5 and it works with no issue.

I have 64 bit OS so what gives? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    This most likely means you don't have a 64bit version OpenAL installed. Please - after updating to 2.6 - run the oalinst.exe so that it could be installed. The way it works for you on 2.5 means you either have the incompatible with 64bit version of it installed, or you just have the openAL32.dll in the game folder without it being installed.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited April 2021
    I have 64bit of OpenAL installed, can launch BG2:EE from steam, cannot do so with BG:EE.

EDIT: Re-installing doesn't help.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Please try the following troubleshooting steps.

Ensure Steam is up to date

In Steam click ‘Steam’ in the top left corner.

Click ‘Check for Steam Client Updates…’.

Run the game manually, outside of Steam.

Try disabling any antivirus programs that may be preventing the game from launching.

If this resolves the issue, you may need to add an exception to your antivirus program for the game.

Reinstall the game via Steam. *Please ensure to back up any save files you have!*

Please let me know if you see any success with these, or if the issue persists.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It works after I added the directory of the game as an exception for the antivirus.

Still, it is odd that it doesn't happen with BG2:EE. Maybe it is something worth looking into.