Skip to content

BG:EE SoD Crashing near end of Chapter 10

bludfystislandmanbludfystislandman Member Posts: 15
edited April 2021 in Troubleshooting
Hi,

A friend and I have been playing through BG1 for a while and we have reached the end of Chapter 10 in Siege of Dragonspear. When we go back to the coalition camp right after the parlay with Caelar, we go through the dialogue with Corporal Duncan, and a few moments after exiting the dialogue the game crashes. Seems to happen right after one of the rando NPCs dies. I thought maybe I would try skipping to chapter 11 with the console as a last resort, but the game still crashes part way through the movie.

We are both playing the Steam version on Linux (Debian). Here is the output in the terminal when the game crashes:

INFO: sAchieveID=NONE,m_sGlobalName=SPRITE_IS_DEADBDWTR51,m_nValue=1
Game removed: AppID 228280 "", ProcID 3195820
Game 228280 created interface STEAMREMOTESTORAGE_INTERFACE_VERSION014 /
Game 228280 created interface STEAMUGC_INTERFACE_VERSION014 /
Game 228280 created interface STEAMUSERSTATS_INTERFACE_VERSION012 /
Game 228280 created interface SteamController007 /
Game 228280 created interface SteamInput001 /
Game 228280 created interface SteamUser021 /
Game 228280 created interface SteamUser021 / User
Game 228280 created interface SteamUtils009 /
Game 228280 method call count for IClientUGC::GetSubscribedItems : 2
Game 228280 method call count for IClientUserStats::RequestCurrentStats : 1
Game 228280 method call count for IClientUtils::RecordSteamInterfaceCreation : 9
Game 228280 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAppID : 11
Game 228280 method call count for IClientUser::GetSteamID : 2
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Exiting app 228280
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

And it ends there. That is all I have as far as error output, unless there is another location for logs I can grab.

Any help would be appreciated!
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
JuliusBorisovGuigs

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Please zip and attach a save file.
  • bludfystislandmanbludfystislandman Member Posts: 15
    Here is the most recent save file.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Try this save, please.
    Nope, didn't change anything. Crashed about 5 sec after loading.
    We have reproduced the crash on Linux, it's happening because of the explosion effect from the catapult attack on the camp.

In the save below, we've made it so that the effect is postponed, so it should no longer crash.

FYI, here is the command we used: C:SetGlobal("bd_bombardment_timer","BD3000",2000000000)

Unfortunately, the situation is most likely going to come up elsewhere as you continue playing. Thanks for the report and sorry that you're experiencing this trouble.
    Thank you! That worked great! Though you were right about it happening later, as during the cutscene when you go back to Dragonspear castle the same effect causes a crash again. Is there a list of the values for these explosions so that I could do the same command as the previous one?
    JuliusBorisov
    Actually, looks like just hitting escape during the cutscene worked :D . Though if there are other times where it happens when not in a cutscene, is there a way to know what code to disable?
    JuliusBorisov
    We're still investigating, it's definitely not a good situation. When you stumble across a problem, just upload a save and we'll help you out.
    @bludfystislandman If you put the attached file (just take it out of the archive) into your override folder (located in the main game folder), you will be able to finish SoD without this issue.
    jasteyGuigs
    Thanks so much for the help! Played some more today and no issues so far, but there hasn't been another fireball flying across the screen yet. Will update later if there are any more issues.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GuigsGuigs Member Posts: 1
    This completely saved my life. It also fixed a lot of clutter I was experiencing, thank you Julius for the solution and blud for the log messages that made me find this
    JuliusBorisovbludfystislandman
  • ericwgericwg Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm having a similar issue just a smidge earlier. I do the Caelar negotiation just before the camp attack. After it finishes, when my character is walking to the exit of dead man's pass, the game freezes. I'm playing on the steam version on macOS 12.5.1. It never quite crashes, I just get a spinning wheel of death while bird noises play in the background.